News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks. Interesting. Didnt like the comment about your centre bounces being poor as ours have been terrible too - picked up a bit late in the year. Hoping to turn it around with new assistants.

We were pretty keen to see Bolton go for similar reasons - the change thing was a key driver too given his strong association with Clarko.
I think a change is exactly what Harvs needs. He is one of the nicest blokes you'll find though. A new environment I think will do him good. I have nothing but care and respect for him.

Hi Pies,

A bit happening between the Hawks and Pies off-field...what are your thoughts on Robert Harvey? We are happy at the hawks to get him across given his level of experience.

Happy/sad to see him go? What part of the ground was he looking after this year when assistant?
He was never popular on this board. Always popular with players and highly respected in the industry though.

Hi Pies,

A bit happening between the Hawks and Pies off-field...what are your thoughts on Robert Harvey? We are happy at the hawks to get him across given his level of experience.

Happy/sad to see him go? What part of the ground was he looking after this year when assistant?

Collingwood has been a revolving door of assistants over the last 10 years, but one constant has been Harvey. Wouldn’t be the easiest gig in the world to be a 2IC to a young inexperienced alpha male senior coach, but Harvey clearly pulled it off with Buckley.

It’ll be interesting to see if he pulls it off again with Mitchell.

Given Harvey has senior coaching aspirations himself then I don’t expect him to stick at Hawks for more than a couple of seasons … otherwise he’ll end up being typecast as a professional 2IC. But hey, he stuck around one club for 10 years, which wouldn’t fall under anybody’s definition of smart career move for an ambitious coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm okay with this, he has been with us for 13-14 years. Thanks for your great service Marcus!

He wanted the role Graham Wright ended up getting, I mean I know who I'd rather personally and am thankful we got GW.

I would look at increasing Maxwell's portfolio or bringing in Luke Ball in some capacity.

I would look at increasing Maxwell's portfolio or bringing in Luke Ball in some capacity.

I get the impression Luke Ball is doing well for himself outside of clubland. If he does anything with the club, it’ll be to join our board in around 5 to 10 years.

His LinkedIn says he was the General Manager of Strategic Projects, so he was probably heavily involved with the Holden Centre redevelopment.

My guess is that he was one of those people who got cut with the Covid FD quotas, but in his case the club transferred him across from a FD role to a non FD role to keep him on the books. He had been footy ops and VFL team boss before.

I’m comfortable with him going. He’s been at the club for long enough and good to get in fresh blood and perspectives. Good for him too to have a change.

Updated list of people who have left our club in the last 12 months:

- President
- Additional board member and their replacement
- Footy Boss
- Women’s footy and netball boss
- Senior men’s coach
- Senior assistant coach
- Forward’s coach
- List manager
- Fitness Boss
- Footy ops / VFL / Special Projects person

Last edited:
My guess is that he was one of those people who got cut with the Covid FD quotas, but in his case the club transferred him across from a FD role to a non FD role to keep him on the books. He had been footy ops and VFL team boss before.

I’m comfortable with him going. He’s been at the club for long enough and good to get in fresh blood and perspectives. Good for him too to have a change.

Updated list of people who have left our club on the last 12 months:

- President
- Additional board member and their replacement
- Footy Boss
- Women’s footy and netball boss
- Senior men’s coach
- Senior assistant coach
- Forward’s coach
- List manager
- Fitness Boss
- Footy ops / VFL / Special Projects person
About to be President x2