Society/Culture Unions - appreciation discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is book review about the ones left behind from the Amazon business model and the inequality of the US.

Hopefully this can't happen in Australia with our relative strong unions. But to the Liberal party it's utopia.

• Banned
Here is book review about the ones left behind from the Amazon business model and the inequality of the US.

Hopefully this can't happen in Australia with our relative strong unions. But to the Liberal party it's utopia.

From the little bit I know about it I don't think unions are that strong any more and losing power fast.

The far right is winning

Tis not about the far right or left…people think for themselves…the unions will sink under their
own weight of irrelevance..

The bad press always outdoes the good Unions do.
There are always power hungry people that do more harm than good in any form of gathering, be it a political party or a Union.
The recent agreement between the TWU & Toll (the Japanese Post office) is an example of Unions 2021: https://www.ownerdriver.com.au/industry-news/2110/revised-toll-agreement-in-the-offing-twu-claims

That Toll has just off-loaded its Global Express division does remind of what happened to TNT when the Dutch Post Office bought that company.

The bad press always outdoes the good Unions do.
There are always power hungry people that do more harm than good in any form of gathering, be it a political party or a Union.
The recent agreement between the TWU & Toll (the Japanese Post office) is an example of Unions 2021: https://www.ownerdriver.com.au/industry-news/2110/revised-toll-agreement-in-the-offing-twu-claims

That Toll has just off-loaded its Global Express division does remind of what happened to TNT when the Dutch Post Office bought that company.
No human who has ever lived has had more than a 50% approval rating.

From the little bit I know about it I don't think unions are that strong any more and losing power fast.

The far right is winning
The right to join a union is essential and they have made a great contribution to society however their diminishing relevance isnt due to the far right gaining dominance but rather unions being perceived as losing focus on the worker and rather on the pay and status of their leadership (how many union execs have never had a real job in the industry?).

We had hundreds of positions out sourced or moved across Melbourne without consultation. When union members rang the union in tears, they did nothing - didnt even ask mgmt a question. But the unions (CPSU) certainly were quick to reach out to seek a donation or talk up an ALP campaign.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The right to join a union is essential and they have made a great contribution to society however their diminishing relevance isnt due to the far right gaining dominance but rather unions being perceived as losing focus on the worker and rather on the pay and status of their leadership (how many union execs have never had a real job in the industry?).

We had hundreds of positions out sourced or moved across Melbourne without consultation. When union members rang the union in tears, they did nothing - didnt even ask mgmt a question. But the unions (CPSU) certainly were quick to reach out to seek a donation or talk up an ALP campaign.

No subs in jeopardy?

The far right is winning
They are losing power because the Liberal and other right wing governments are always attacking them .The right wing media take that to the people as well.
They see Unions as the enemy to them making more money than they should.
Keep the working class down in the gutter.
So many people have no idea just what the Unions have created work wise for them.
Holidays, long service, superannuation, sick leave, maternity leave, the list goes on. But still so many take them for granted, but have no idea that the unions fought and got those conditions.
Unions fought long and hard for the 40 hour week, but due to greed from the bosses, they want you to work for a pay rise. That means working another , one, two, three hours a week. But do you really think that you are more than adequately compensated for those hours!!!!!
Do you think the boss is going to give you a pay rise with out wanting more than a pound of flesh from you.
Just need to look at the fiasco of Cash, of her cohorts, telling the media they were going to raid Union offices ,What for!!!!For a media smash at the unions.What did they find!!!! Exactly what they knew they would. But Hey holy s**t it got the Unions more bad press.
If it wasn't for the Unions, you would still be working for a couple of bob an hour.

That hasn't been my experience at all.
However, I've seen plenty of people who wanted nothing to do with a union all their working life suddenly want their help when things go pear shaped for them.

I'm extremely supportive of unions, and I've typically stuck my hand up as a workplace delegate when required.

It's weird though, cos having worked for a couple of unions I wouldnt recommend it. Crazy hours, "leaders" whose focus is political rather than at the workplace level (which is all our members care about), and pay and conditions worse than what we're going into workplaces and asking for.

Unfortunately - for me at least - my experience working with unions was a bit awkward for that reason. We were expected to fight like buggery for our members... but when it came to negotiating our own EBA, we were expected to eat s**t and take whatever was on offer. It felt a hell of a lot like we were being taken advantage of for being progressive and wanting to help the working class.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back