Past #42: Tom Lynch - officially retires from the AFL as a player

Welcome Tom.

Confirmed by Brady and Luffy that he will join North and be added onto the rookie list. He will be on standby for the AFL but will mainly play in the VFL and be a development coach.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Welcome Tom.

Confirmed by Brady and Luffy that he will join North and be added onto the rookie list. He will be on standby for the AFL but will mainly play in the VFL and be a development coach.

View attachment 1264435
If he doesn't play a game next year it means our injuries have improved.
I've never wanted a player to be stuck in the VFL before.
Odd.
Welcome Tom.
2022 Frosty Miller medallist I reckon.

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He will genuinely be in the best 22 players on our list next year but won't play a game. It will be a bit odd.

Anyway, by all reports he was effectively a development coach already at Adelaide and his footy brain is highly regarded. Hopefully he's a key plank of number 5.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
cheeky “retirement” mid year to allow us to replace him with a MSD rookie?
I reckon we'll carry him all year.
Decent stats for the games he played in 2021 including 23 disposals against north, 29 against melbourne and 25 against WC.
He'll be in his development role and used as cover if larkey or CCJ go down and we don't have another tall available to play a few games.
In no way did I think from the list management interview that he would be just used as stop gap. We'll probably keep him on the rookie list for 2-3 years.
1634714826946.png

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If our soft cap is bursting - how much is Paul Roos getting paid
Even if we were penny pinching to the extreme and hit the soft cap, we would still be seeking methods to increase the number of manhours we have. I don't see the move as being an indictment on our fiscal management. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. In isolation I approve of this move regardless of anything else. It's just a rookie spot. There's plenty of them and the majority of players that go on that list end up achieving nothing.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
GWS has had mumford on a development/ruck coach player role for the past 2-3 years.
Its not just a this year kinda thing.

Feb 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Will play games and will be good. A few months older than Ziebell. Not sure why people would be against him playing if he merits being selected. If a kid wants his spot they can earn it. Competition for spots is what will drive us Up the ladder.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Will play games and will be good. A few months older than Ziebell. Not sure why people would be against him playing if he merits being selected. If a kid wants his spot they can earn it. Competition for spots is what will drive us Up the ladder.
No issues in him playing round 1 in the seniors. Standards matter, and games shouldn't be gifted. But sounds like they arent eyeing him off for too much senior footy

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No issues in him playing round 1 in the seniors. Standards matter, and games shouldn't be gifted. But sounds like they arent eyeing him off for too much senior footy
Our VFL forward line with Lynch, Edwards and Comben will be worth going to watch.
Exciting.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Our VFL forward line with Lynch, Edwards and Comben will be worth going to watch.
Exciting.
He'll be great for the form and development of those young talls. Comben is a low disposal player and we should be looking at developing Edwards into a Luke Jackson type who wins it on the outside.

Back