Training 2021 Training - pics, reports etc

4flagsin5yrs

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2020
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm just praying for an injury free preseason and some luck with injury in 2022.

To be fair to Teague - he was hit with a huge number of injuries to key players....

Crippa (played when shouldn't have), Williams (see Cripps), Guv, Martin (see Cripps), Fisher, Doc, Pitto (throw Marchy, Philp in there too) - that's a lot of output missing come game day.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
I'm just praying for an injury free preseason and some luck with injury in 2022.

To be fair to Teague - he was hit with a huge number of injuries to key players....

Crippa (played when shouldn't have), Williams (see Cripps), Guv, Martin (see Cripps), Fisher, Doc, Pitto (throw Marchy, Philp in there too) - that's a lot of output missing come game day.
If the rumours are true that Teague wasn't listening to AR's advice, then he is at fault for Cripps', Williams', Martin's and Fisher's decline in form.

El Topo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2013
the wilderness
AFL Club
Carlton

Inexcusable that Cripps, Martin et al were hobbling about in the 1s when there were fit replacements in the 2s

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Teague didn't even seem to know about injuries half the time, particularly after games.

Several times in press conferences he mentioned he wasn't fully aware of ailments players had, aside from knowing something was up, and after games admitting he hadn't followed up for a more detailed answer. At the time I put it down to deferring to training staff or something like that, but in retrospect it's pretty daft for the head coach to not be more across it.

Crippa#9

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Teague didn't even seem to know about injuries half the time, particularly after games.

Several times in press conferences he mentioned he wasn't fully aware of ailments players had, aside from knowing something was up, and after games admitting he hadn't followed up for a more detailed answer. At the time I put it down to deferring to training staff or something like that, but in retrospect it's pretty daft for the head coach to not be more across it.

That's a bit naive Coops.

In defence of Teague, I'm sure he was across it all explicitly but just trying to protect the player and not divulge the extent of any injury a certain player may have. As fans it can be frustrating not having a clear understanding of player injuries however I respect club/coach keeping that private.

Teague was a relatively poor media performer and struggled to explain injuries in a balanced manner.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
That's a bit naive Coops.

In defence of Teague, I'm sure he was across it all explicitly but just trying to protect the player and not divulge the extent of any injury a certain player may have. As fans it can be frustrating not having a clear understanding of player injuries however I respect club/coach keeping that private.

Teague was a relatively poor media performer and struggled to explain injuries in a balanced manner.
I agree it was naive. I think I was hoping it be true more than anything.

I believe after games he certainly wasn't as across it, but during the week when he downplayed it he may have been playing coy.

Neither is particularly good.

El Topo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2013
the wilderness
AFL Club
Carlton
Who would you select 80% Cripps or 95% Carroll?

Martin 80% or Durdin 95%?

Martin was barely at 50% when he first came back - we could have played Honey, SPS, Durdin. Shuffle the magnets with Newnes, Carroll, Ramsey, LOB, Kennedy, Setterfield, Cottrell etc.

Likewise with Cripps, he could have spent more time forward like he did against Norf or been altogether rested - as above - with the lineup shuffled around in any number of ways.

Trust a fringe player, give them an opportunity and who knows what will happen - it's a team game.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Martin was barely at 50% when he first came back - we could have played Honey, SPS, Durdin. Shuffle the magnets with Newnes, Carroll, Ramsey, LOB, Kennedy, Setterfield etc.

Likewise with Cripps, he could have spent more time forward like he did against Norf or been altogether rested - as above - with the lineup shuffled around in any number of ways.

Trust a fringe player, give them an opportunity and who knows what will happen - it's a team game.

But that's the thing, we here are all guessing how fit a player was at any point in time. Unless someone here is a club doctor, we are guessing. Even then, no medical professional could have a blanket view as each individual handles similar injuries different

All clubs play better/underdone players over players that are still developing, many of which are still building their fitness level to get to AFL standard

Blaming Teague, for something that happens league wide and the lower levels is just ridiculous

Blue Flame

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2012
UK
AFL Club
Carlton
I’d be more worried about our medical staff. Somebody is saying it’s fine for them to play through these injuries, when it’s not. That’d be a change I’d be looking to make in the team.

As for the Teague overruling Russell thing… I’m not sure what to make of it. I just can’t imagine why you would bring someone on board with great fanfare only to ignore them.

Back