Preview 2021 Goodbye (To 2022) New; Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I feel like there is going to be some real competition for spots and roles heading into 2022 at Port. There are a number of challengers who will want spots and roles in the team. These will be interesting to watch over preseason training, internal trails and trials.

Here's a few I'm interested in.

Hayes v Lycett for the #1 ruck role

Dixon v Georgiadis for the #1 forward role.

Butters v Rosee v Bergmann v Duursma v Amon for the #2 mid role

Bonner v Jones for the HBF or Jones v Jonas for the BP.

Clurey v McKenzie for full back

Last edited:

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
The key forward mix is the most interesting one for me.

Obviously Dixon and Georgiades should start. It'll be interesting to see whether they play 1 or both of Marshall and Finlayson and who does the 2nd ruck duties. Do they play Hayes as a 2nd ruck?

My plan going forward would be to play the quaddie with Dixon being the 2nd ruck. A) he's a great ruckman and could probably play there full time, and B) we need to move away from our entire forward strategy being to sit high balls on his head. If they decide Hayes is good enough to play 2nd ruck, it'll be interesting to see who gets left out. Marshall would want a big preseason because you can't leave Georgiades out, he's too big a talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Marshall Vs the Demons in his own head when it comes to goalkicking.

Orazio Vs Injuries

R Gray Vs Father time

SPP Vs the bulge

DBJ Vs actually putting in effort

Motlop Vs his shadow

Mead Vs his fathers legacy

Williams Vs Fitness

Finlayson Vs Marshall

Clurey Vs McKenzie (Vs Jonas if the captaincy is passed to Ollie as it should be)

Bergman Vs Bonner Vs Farrell for an outside spot

Georgiades would definitely be my #1 key forward next year.

The battle should really be reorienting the player's to look for the smart leading, high forward IQ young gun, and Charlie as the get out of gaol option.

Also hoping the new Bulldogs fitness guy will lead a player vs the weights room revolution.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

The battle should really be reorienting the player's to look for the smart leading, high forward IQ young gun, and Charlie as the get out of gaol option.

Also hoping the new Bulldogs fitness guy will lead a player vs the weights room revolution.

Do you think Ken will change it up that much? He’s on his last stint, suspecting minor tweaks all around.

dirty2

F*** the southern power
Nov 6, 2016
Bar Rossa
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
At the moment I would have Dixon geo and fin as my key forwards... With Dixon or fin taking 2nd ruck duties.. Marshall needs to work his ass off to get in front of Finlayson.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Georgiades deep forward, Dixon CHF, Marshall roaming or link up. The opposition will still cluster around Dixon, so if he's around the 50 metre arc that should leave Mitch as the marking target close, without 3 defenders hanging off him. As an opposition coach I'd rather see Dixon up deep forward for Port and throw numbers around him, knowing he's going to be the target most of the time.

For others for me I'd like to see Hayes gets rucking duties at least half the games.

SPP to either start in the midfield or the SANFL, depending on what state he comes back from the off-season.

Finlayson I'd give a try as a tall back over the pre-season, I'd rather another taller KPD so AA can concentrate on playing to his (and hence teams) strengths, not shunted onto the 195cm+ KPF as we've not prioritised tall (195cm+) defenders.

Jonas out as Captain and the club has the balls to go with AA, Clurey and McKenzie as our tall backs if the latter two are the best two of them and Jonas. Or AA, Finlayson and one of Clurey/McKenzie if Finlayson looks ok as a tall back.

Skindy

Senior List
Sep 18, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Will Georgiades ever be a #1 forward? He is a lead-up jumping forward that doesn't suit being the primary target in our forwardline. He is undersized for his position and isn't really a contested 1 on 1 player. Best case scenario for him is we start playing some faster, more direct footy and he can be a forward in the Jack Reiwoldt mould.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back