Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Just wondering with Blake Schlensog, as a player that was de-listed by the Cats and went undrafted in the mid-season draft, can he be offered a contract and picked up as an Unrestricted Free Agent or does he need to nominate for the draft?

There's speculation that he could go quite high in the draft, but just wondering is that the only pathway for him?

It's my opinion that the delisted free agency window applies to players who were delisted in the previous contract period, not from previous years.

Although he will forever carry unrestricted free agency status when he comes out of contract.

I believe he will need to be drafted.

There was a rule change temporarily allowing GWS to re-list Mumford without going through the draft - but that was just that one time. This was announced prior to the draft that players who were previously delisted could be listed by AFL clubs after the draft, so players like Mumford and Zac Clarke withdrew/didn't nominate for the draft and were signed straight to their club of choice post draft.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
There was a rule change temporarily allowing GWS to re-list Mumford without going through the draft - but that was just that one time. This was announced prior to the draft that players who were previously delisted could be listed by AFL clubs after the draft, so players like Mumford and Zac Clarke withdrew/didn't nominate for the draft and were signed straight to their club of choice post draft.

I think this rule still exists, though I can't find any recent info on it. In theory, if there was a club Schlensog was set on going to he could choose not to nominate for the draft and then sign with that club in the SSP afterwards.

Andyy

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Where do we think this guy will go in the draft?

I've be happy for Richmond to take him and see how he goes.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Had a shocker on the weekend but has had a very good year.

He was dominating in defence before going forward, where he had a few very good games early.

I was under the impression any state league player that was delisted within 12 months could be picked up as a DFA?

FD2646

Premiership Player
Sep 11, 2008
Everywhere, anywhere
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth
Had a shocker on the weekend but has had a very good year.

He was dominating in defence before going forward, where he had a few very good games early.

I was under the impression any state league player that was delisted within 12 months could be picked up as a DFA?
His performance on the weekend was beyond dismal. If he was not injured, that was a sub-par WAFL performance.

His performance on the weekend was beyond dismal. If he was not injured, that was a sub-par WAFL performance.

Not disagreeing with you FD2646 in your assessment of his last game.
That said he has had a pretty good season and has shown positional versatility. For a young tall he has improved and shown some real development in 2021.
I suspect he will be on an AFL in 2022.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Well he can.

Would love to see Richmond use a 2nd rounder on him though.
Care to back up your claims? Again, I think you're mistaken.

Last year he could've been picked up as a DFA. This year he must be drafted but will carry UFA status for the rest of his career when out of contract due to being delisted by Geelong. Pretty sure that's how it works.

Last year he could've been picked up as a DFA. This year he must be drafted but will carry UFA status for the rest of his career when out of contract due to being delisted by Geelong. Pretty sure that's how it works.

Hes a dfa as he was passed over in the mid season draft same with stengle.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda

Google his name and delisted free agent and you'll find half a dozen articles stating the fact.

I can't be bothered cutting and pasting.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018

Lol mate, it's you that's mistaken. Once a player opts for the MSD and gets passed over, then he's essentially a DFA - as he's already been on a list and hasn't been selected in a draft.

There's so many articles on this, it's interesting that you still have your staunch opinion that you're right and everyone else isn't, lol.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Google his name and delisted free agent and you'll find half a dozen articles stating the fact.

I can't be bothered cutting and pasting.
Yeah I've seen them. I thought it was a mistake.
Lol mate, it's you that's mistaken. Once a player opts for the MSD and gets passed over, then he's essentially a DFA - as he's already been on a list and hasn't been selected in a draft.

There's so many articles on this, it's interesting that you still have your staunch opinion that you're right and everyone else isn't, lol.
I'll take your word for it although I'm not sure why being passed over in the mid season rookie draft would automatically make you a delisted free agent. That doesn't make sense.

I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
Stengle was cut after final list lodgements last year so would be a DFA this year yes because technically he was officially delisted only recently. Schlensong was delisted last year so I believe has to go via ND/PSD/RD

You can believe it all you like, you're still wrong, lol.

This would have taken you two seconds, but I guess I'll do it so we can put it to bed:

"Geelong has confirmed its interest in recruiting WAFL star Blake Schlensog, who it delisted 12 months ago.
Schlensog, 21, has been linked with a move back to Kardinia Park and could be drafted as a delisted free agent or through any of the drafts."

SECOND CHANCE FOR FORMER CAT?
GEELONG is among the clubs interested in Blake Schlensog, who the Cats delisted at the end of last year.
The rookie big man was cut after two seasons with the Cats as a Next Generation Academy pick-up and enjoyed an exciting season in the WAFL as one of its premier key position players.....

....He is viewed as a consideration for Geelong, and was interviewed by Richmond ahead of the mid-season intake, with clubs able to list him a number of ways, either as a delisted free agent or through any of the draft periods – the national, rookie or pre-season drafts.
The 21-year-old looms as a mature-age shot for clubs searching to boost their key position stocks. - Callum Twomey

TWO CLUBS CIRCLING FORMER CAT

Geelong and Richmond are among clubs with interest in ex-Cat Blake Schlensog, reports The West Australian.

The key-position Next Generation Academy prospect was let go by Geelong after two seasons with the club and enjoyed a strong 2021 campaign for WAFL club South Fremantle.

The 199cm product played at both ends of the ground with hauls of five goals and four goals to his name.

He could be picked up as either a delisted free agent and the national, rookie and pre-season drafts.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
You can believe it all you like, you're still wrong, lol.

This would have taken you two seconds, but I guess I'll do it so we can put it to bed:

"Geelong has confirmed its interest in recruiting WAFL star Blake Schlensog, who it delisted 12 months ago.
Schlensog, 21, has been linked with a move back to Kardinia Park and could be drafted as a delisted free agent or through any of the drafts."

SECOND CHANCE FOR FORMER CAT?
GEELONG is among the clubs interested in Blake Schlensog, who the Cats delisted at the end of last year.
The rookie big man was cut after two seasons with the Cats as a Next Generation Academy pick-up and enjoyed an exciting season in the WAFL as one of its premier key position players.....

....He is viewed as a consideration for Geelong, and was interviewed by Richmond ahead of the mid-season intake, with clubs able to list him a number of ways, either as a delisted free agent or through any of the draft periods – the national, rookie or pre-season drafts.
The 21-year-old looms as a mature-age shot for clubs searching to boost their key position stocks. - Callum Twomey

TWO CLUBS CIRCLING FORMER CAT

Geelong and Richmond are among clubs with interest in ex-Cat Blake Schlensog, reports The West Australian.

The key-position Next Generation Academy prospect was let go by Geelong after two seasons with the club and enjoyed a strong 2021 campaign for WAFL club South Fremantle.

The 199cm product played at both ends of the ground with hauls of five goals and four goals to his name.

He could be picked up as either a delisted free agent and the national, rookie and pre-season drafts.

I just said I've seen them and thought it was a mistake. No need to be a dick about it.

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
I just said I've seen them and thought it was a mistake. No need to be a dick about it.

I posted it at the same time as you replied, so I wasn't to know you conceded, lol.

In fairness though, it'd have to be a pretty grand conspiracy for every footy commentator to have made the same mistake when discussing it - including draft guru Cal Twomey, who is paid to know how this all works.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I posted it at the same time as you replied, so I wasn't to know you conceded, lol.

In fairness though, it'd have to be a pretty grand conspiracy for every footy commentator to have made the same mistake when discussing it - including draft guru Cal Twomey, who is paid to know how this all works.
Yeah I figured it only takes one bloke to run with it to become fact. Like when Neil Balme had apparently moved to the crows a few weeks back. That all started with 1 tweet from Sam Edmund.

Anyway back on topic. Could be a bargain getting Schlensong who is apparently one of the best KPDs outside of the AFL for nothing. Not sure he'd choose to come to us given he wouldn't be a walk up start with a full list. Would he choose to go back to Geelong after only being cut 12 months ago?

Back