List Mgmt. 2021 Trade and List Management thread III. IN: CCJ

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Ham is no good. That's the reality.

It was an odd choice at the time and it's only gotten worse as time has gone on.

Harsh but I'm not sure of the outrage on this one either.

He was selected 2nd round of a MSD and unfortunately mustn't have done enough to convince for a spot. Doesn't mean the door's closed, he might well get back into the system.

I'm often empathetic to the players but he got a 6 month audition that is better than plenty of other players got. At the very worst AFL wise, he knows he got into the system and didn't quite make. Better than forever wondering "what if?". I'd have loved to have that as a pub story myself.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ham is no good. That's the reality.

It was an odd choice at the time and it's only gotten worse as time has gone on.
At the time of the Mid season draft we had a whole lot of injuries.
We started to improve a fortnight or so after the draft.
I don't blame the club for topping up a bit by adding a player for 6 months.
We were in bad shape.
Best of luck to the kid.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Last year (2020 when the world was a very different place) at the season launch, I had a word to him about sticking around with us for the long haul and not going home to WA. He looked at me contemptuously and said. "Why would I want to do that"???

I slunk away in embarrassment. I rather suspect I had that same feeling as so many opposition blokes have on the field when they sense he is approaching. One of those, "Oh s***" moments.
If i am freo or west coast, he is a priority target. We should be locking him away on some healthy $, strongly believe he will be the best mid sized forward in the game. 50 goal seasons not out of the question

But given we do like every club have soft cap issues then your point is moot. Clearly they've identified development as a higher priority than taking an additonal speculative rookie pick. Move on.
Another way is find a a cheaper dev coach than lynch so he does fit in the soft cap and not have to take the spot of a potential rookie player

what the hell are we paying this guy? And is he replacing a coach or we’ve decided we need an extra dev coach

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’ve heard rumours of certain wheatbelt towns with AFL quality players due to a “Co-Op” of farmers ensuing their teams are regularly among the premiers each year

Harry Taylor played for his former country town this year. Kicked 17 goals one game. The opposition team had one guy over 180cms and a few colts players to make up the numbers.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
forcasting lynch 2-3 years on rookie list barring injury.
Another way is find a a cheaper dev coach than lynch so he does fit in the soft cap and not have to take the spot of a potential rookie player

what the hell are we paying this guy? And is he replacing a coach or we’ve decided we need an extra dev coach
Luff did mention that our forward line was the youngest area in the side and it would be good to have some experience in there.

Harry Taylor played for his former country town this year. Kicked 17 goals one game. The opposition team had one guy over 180cms and a few colts players to make up the numbers.
Northampton always seem to produce AFL players every year though, then more than a few end up going home to play

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Cheaper? That is your criteria for employment as a coach?

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
forcasting lynch 2-3 years on rookie list barring injury.

Luff did mention that our forward line was the youngest area in the side and it would be good to have some experience in there.
He said it would be good to have Lynch’s experience to help teach them, not to join them.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Cheap? As opposed to the right candidate? Id rather get the right development in and develop our existing good players into better one thanks.

And again, the soft cap budget literally had $3million evaporate from it overnight, the club has to cut costs but is trying think of ways to still attract the right people. Hard to tell if you are trolling us all or just wilfully ignoring all the factors in why lynch is being recruited.

Kangaroos techno

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
At the time of the Mid season draft we had a whole lot of injuries.
We started to improve a fortnight or so after the draft.
I don't blame the club for topping up a bit by adding a player for 6 months.
We were in bad shape.
Best of luck to the kid.
Which would have been fair enough if we selected a top up. But instead we went with the untried development route. Seemed like a irrational decision. It's as though we hadn't watched more than a few minutes of footage and then after his first session Luff thought "s**t, we didn't think that one through"

Conundrum

All Australian
Jul 7, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Last year (2020 when the world was a very different place) at the season launch, I had a word to him about sticking around with us for the long haul and not going home to WA. He looked at me contemptuously and said. "Why would I want to do that"???

I slunk away in embarrassment. I rather suspect I had that same feeling as so many opposition blokes have on the field when they sense he is approaching. One of those, "Oh s***" moments.
No respect for the older generations, delist

Cheap? As opposed to the right candidate? Id rather get the right development in and develop our existing good players into better one thanks.

And again, the soft cap budget literally had $3million evaporate from it overnight, the club has to cut costs but is trying think of ways to still attract the right people. Hard to tell if you are trolling us all or just wilfully ignoring all the factors in why lynch is being recruited.
if other teams can manage to fit staff in the soft cap without listing them on the rookie list (bar port) I can’t see why we cant

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

I reckon is pretty good sign that we're finding ways to spend on coaching on top of the soft cap and not looking to 'go without' because money is tight.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
He said it would be good to have Lynch’s experience to help teach them, not to join them.

His number 1 priority will be his development coaching. Given that, you'd assume that he's not going to be training with the aim to be playing at AFL level. He'd be a break glass option for a year until, hopefully, the coaching soft cap is increased.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
His number 1 priority will be his development coaching. Given that, you'd assume that he's not going to be training with the aim to be playing at AFL level. He'd be a break glass option for a year until, hopefully, the coaching soft cap is increased.
I reckon he'll still keep a decent standard of fitness just in case of emergency.

Really pleasing to hear thanks Horace.
Still… will feel better once we’ve locked him up.

Thndr

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2015
Mick Martin school of bad looks.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well its usually footy, motor bikes, shooting street signs and girls up there for a young blokes.
In that order.

giphy.gif

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

Zurhaar has always struck me as the type who will never come back to live in Perth, tbh.

May 3, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A solid lockdown small defender with a nice left foot kick

and more to the point I’d rather a new young rookie with upside selected than wasting a playing list spot on someone that won’t be there next year in Lynch

got to give ourselves a better chance at finding long term talent even if it’s say 2% it’s better than lynch 0% to be there in future years

What if Lynch is a 75% chance of making 5 of our young players 50% better with his development work and effectively playing coach role in the vfl?? Net gain?

Back