Coronavirus/COVID-19

I think the point here is missed. The question was what is the difference with people being okay with drug tests but not vaccines. I said that a drug test does not go inside you, nor is it permanent, in the sense that you cannot remove a vaccine. I am explaining why people are hesitant, not what I think is true
In a traditional vaccine the compound that gets injected into your body is completely gone within a few days. The only thing that is 'permanent' is your immune system learning to fight the disease.

Now these COVID vaccines are a bit new age especially the mRNA ones, but I'm not sure they differ that much from traditional vaccines.

Further to that, the reason that people use the drug test example is as a counter to the argument "my employer can't dictate what I do with my body". They are already dictating that you can't put recreational drugs in your body - some of which would stay in your system longer than a vaccine does.

Last edited:
Shouldn't medical history be private?

Why should people have to show their medical information to enter a building?
It's not really medical history, it's vaccination status. This isn't a new thing, I've needed to prove I had certain vaccinations to enter different countries or continents I've travelled to as an example.

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
They don’t have to show it. They can’t enter if they don’t though. It’s their choice.
Pretty poor imo.

Good to see the QLD government letting it up to the businesses to decide if they want vaccinated/unvaccinated people in.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Pretty poor imo.

Good to see the QLD government letting it up to the businesses to decide if they want vaccinated/unvaccinated people in.

Vaccination rates are drying up and this will only slow them even more.

Anyone else think that if people haven’t yet had a first dose they never will? 70-80% is a pipe dream in Queensland 😔

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
Vaccination rates are drying up and this will only slow them even more.

Anyone else think that if people haven’t yet had a first dose they never will? 70-80% is a pipe dream in Queensland
Agreed

QLD governments language over the last few days is pretty alarming.

Using any word they can to convince people to get the jab. They made a mess of the AZ big time and now it's costing QLD

Pretty poor imo.

As long as the venue clearly states and displays it allows non vaxed people in so customers can make informed choices as to whether they patronise said business.

I know what my choice would be……. Not worth the risk.

See how many businesses get shut down for tier one exposure and they may decide their bottom line is impacted as well.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I think you missed a key one, one that is probably holding the most people back which is the lack of evidence of long-term effects that has scared some people off.

I've heard this from a mate who isn't getting vaccinated and is anti government, 'the government don't tell me what to do'...

At the same time, this mate is happy to do a few lines of coke each weekend.

Queenslanders have been pretty compliant with lockdowns, brief though they were, and travel restrictions. But indications are they are over it, and there is a section which has been getting away with not checking in (due to low-to-nil case numbers). The Uber driver is an indication of this. We noticed at our shopping centre this morning that masks are no longer universal - I'd say down to 80%. Staff in the big stores and supermarkets were wearing them, but not in smaller shops.

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Queenslanders have been pretty compliant with lockdowns, brief though they were, and travel restrictions. But indications are they are over it, and there is a section which has been getting away with not checking in
It is complacency. I am guilty of it. When you say QLD’ers are “over it”, I would ask “over what”? We have had it very good compared to Victoria and to a lesser extent NSW.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Queenslanders have been pretty compliant with lockdowns, brief though they were, and travel restrictions. But indications are they are over it, and there is a section which has been getting away with not checking in (due to low-to-nil case numbers). The Uber driver is an indication of this. We noticed at our shopping centre this morning that masks are no longer universal - I'd say down to 80%. Staff in the big stores and supermarkets were wearing them, but not in smaller shops.
I'd say it's likely the case across all of Australia. Certainly the case in Melbourne.

It is complacency. I am guilty of it. When you say QLD’ers are “over it”, I would ask “over what”? We have had it very good compared to Victoria and to a lesser extent NSW.
Yes, exactly, we should be thankful. But the mask mandate, especially as there are no/few infections, plus it’s already very hot, means people don’t want to wear them anymore. Older people will keep wearing them but it was mainly the younger ones that weren’t today.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

My neighbours only comply with mask mandates when shopping. Social gatherings never stopped through all of the covid restrictions. At least all but 1 got vaccinated…. It was good that his wife got the shot. I do need a xxxxxxxx but I am not ever going to be that desperate….

Edit:
Occupation removed as not all xxxxxxx are d!ckheads.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yes, exactly, we should be thankful. But the mask mandate, especially as there are no/few infections, plus it’s already very hot, means people don’t want to wear them anymore. Older people will keep wearing them but it was mainly the younger ones that weren’t today.

As it is in Victoria.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My neighbours only comply with mask mandates when shopping. Social gatherings never stopped through all of the covid restrictions. At least all but 1 got vaccinated…. It was good that his wife got the shot. I do need a xxxxxxxx but I am not ever going to be that desperate….

Edit:
Occupation removed as not all xxxxxxx are d!ckheads.
AFL journalist?

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How did we get here some disturbing stats.

Victoria's Pop 6.7 million Cases 2,232 today 70% double vaxed and locked down
USA Pop 333 million 50 times Victoria Cases 89,862 today average double vaxed approx. 60% most states have not been in lock down for a long time

Victoria's 2,232 cases x 50 = 111,600 equivalent cases for the same population as the USA with lockdowns and a higher vaccination rate.

Something is horrible wrong here how can we have more lockdown days than anywhere in the world, a 70% vax rate and now be worst off than the USA on comparative terms just do not understand.

cecil

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

USA Pop 333 million 50 times Victoria Cases 89,862 today average double vaxed approx. 60% most states have not been in lock down for a long time

Victoria's 2,232 cases x 50 = 111,600 equivalent cases for the same population as the USA with lockdowns and a higher vaccination rate.

Something is horrible wrong here how can we have more lockdown days than anywhere in the world, a 70% vax rate and now be worst off than the USA on comparative terms just do not understand.
The US had 2000 deaths yesterday (about 3-4 times as many as us as a proportion). Not sure we are worse off.

You also need to factor in natural immunity which in the US could be 10%+ of the population.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

You aren’t comparing apples with apples.

Estimated that almost 20% of their population has had Covid…. They have also lost most of their most vulnerable already, so you have to look at past death rates.

Come on man, you are smarter than this!

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania

732k total deaths in the US
1k total deaths in Vic

Adjusting for population they have had 14x more deaths than us. That's probably worth something.

Back