Politics Climate Change Paradox (cont in part 2)

Should we act now, or wait for a unified global approach

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think too many people would argue the idea of "climate change". But when we start talking "man made climate change" and the extent of influence we have on our climate is a different story. Then there's the political motives behind all of this.

But climate change on this planet has been happening forever. A never ending cycle of warm periods followed by cool periods when man made emissions wasn't even a thing.
So you think it’s just ‘coincidence’ that very observable climate change just started happening at the same time as industrialisation and we started pumping tons of s**t into the atmosphere? Would like to see the bookies’ odds on that given we’re operating in timescales of tens and hundreds of thousands of years.

I don't think too many people would argue the idea of "climate change". But when we start talking "man made climate change" and the extent of influence we have on our climate is a different story. Then there's the political motives behind all of this.

But climate change on this planet has been happening forever. A never ending cycle of warm periods followed by cool periods when man made emissions wasn't even a thing.
Yes but the non man made climate change happened over thousands and thousands of years in most cases. The man made climate change is happening over 2 centuries. In saying that there are some alarmists making it out to be far worse for humanity then it is but lets not compare man made climate change to the climate variation seen over 1000s of years.

These sort of alarmist statements have been made time and time again over the last 50 years. None have ever eventuated.

Have you heard of the boy who cried wolf?

PS: Manhattan is meant to be under water by now. Can you check for me?
Have you heard of the boy who died from skin cancer?

You show me one actual boy who actually cried wolf.
I dare you.

So you think it’s just ‘coincidence’ that very observable climate change just started happening at the same time as industrialisation and we started pumping tons of sh*t into the atmosphere? Would like to see the bookies’ odds on that given we’re operating in timescales of tens and hundreds of thousands of years.
He's a trolling idiot or just an idiot.
Don't waste bandwidth on the *******.

So you think it’s just ‘coincidence’ that very observable climate change just started happening at the same time as industrialisation and we started pumping tons of sh*t into the atmosphere? Would like to see the bookies’ odds on that given we’re operating in timescales of tens and hundreds of thousands of years.

Are you completely ignoring the cool period we had in the mid 1900's.

Have you heard of the boy who died from skin cancer?

You show me one actual boy who actually cried wolf.
I dare you.

Al Gore. Already brought up Prince Charles. Any number of scientists from the 70's and 80's onwards. Not one catastrophic prediction has ever come close to eventuating.

This is interesting - climate change is having an effect on the upper atmosphere and increasing the potential for Kessler Syndrome events:

Gravity ensures that everything that goes up will eventually come back down - but the bath is currently being filled faster than the plug hole and the overflow pipe can empty it.
Some material from the A-Sat tests will come down to Earth, out of harm's way, but a significant proportion will head off to high altitudes where they will remain a hazard for years to come.
Humans and nature are also conspiring in unexpected ways to make the situation worse. The extra CO2 pumped into the atmosphere down the years has cooled some of its highest reaches - the thermosphere.
This - combined with low levels of solar activity - have shrunk the atmosphere, limiting the amount of drag on orbital objects that ordinarily helps to pull debris from the sky. In other words, the junk is also staying up longer.
Leaving aside the growth in debris from collisions for a moment, the number of satellites being sent into space is also increasing rapidly.
Go back to the 2000s, and the average for the number of satellites launched each year would be about 100. In this decade, the proliferation of small satellite technologies will likely see the annual average rise above 1,000.

How much would it cost to charge an EV? Similar to a tank of petrol? Does it last as long?

you save about 2 grand a year….but the price difference is nowhere near that.

now if you are commercial and run the vehicle 8. 16. 24 hours a day … makes sense. Maybe everyone is howling at the wrong moon

lots of these commercial vehicles operate in residential areas - maybe 8. 16 24 times the pollution of a private car

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And more importantly, is it possible to hoon in them? 🤡
Full torque at all speeds and far superior acceleration. You miss out on the noise though.
I wouldn't take a Nissan Leaf to the Deni ute muster

Dont worry fellow Greta Thunberg haters, once Greta is in her twenties or thirties, like any female former star the lads lingerie mags will make their usual offers to her. hard to be a credible climate activist when you are clad only in a lacy brassiere and fish net pantyhose.
This is disgusting.
How has no one called this out? Why do people hate this kid so much? She's done nothing to them.

Slightly off topic ...................... another EV but not quite like what you'd normally think.

Being a bit of a moto head, this is indeed exciting news.

Now I'm one that loves the sound of 2t smashin out @ max rpm around a track, nothin like it, but I think I could get used to the sound (or almost non sound) of an EMX - certainly has an 'urgency' to it.

This is the sort of thing that could give me optimism that human kind WILL turn things around.

Prince Charles

2009 - " The best projections tell us that we have less than 100 months to alter our behaviour before we risk catastrophic climate change ".

2015 - "Prince Charles is warning that there are only 35 years left to save the planet from climate disaster, which represents a 33-year extension of his
previous deadline."

LOL
as someone who worked a lot on climate change 15 years ago i have noticed that the projections of climate temp changes and damages for a given level of abatement have weakened significantly over the years.

as someone who worked a lot on climate change 15 years ago i have noticed that the projections of climate temp changes and damages for a given level of abatement have weakened significantly over the years.

Oh, you worked a lot on climate change. How many fires did you start?

Al Gore. Already brought up Prince Charles. Any number of scientists from the 70's and 80's onwards. Not one catastrophic prediction has ever come close to eventuating.
That's cos the emission concentrations aren't high enough yet to cause those disasters. But they are still rising. And there are obvious observed impacts of climate change even if the disasters of movies haven't happened yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back