Free Agency Liam Stocker - signed by St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I don’t mind Stocker as a prospect I just don’t think he’ll ever be a gun backman. If he is going to be a gun it’ll be further up the field.

That being said given where he was taken in the draft if he only has a Duryea level career it’s hardly a loss I’m sure there will be plenty of busts taken before him.

I think Voss is going to appreicate this kid's head-first willingness and that's going to win him more midfield opportunities.

Yeah I don’t mind Stocker as a prospect I just don’t think he’ll ever be a gun backman. If he is going to be a gun it’ll be further up the field.

That being said given where he was taken in the draft if he only has a Duryea level career it’s hardly a loss I’m sure there will be plenty of busts taken before him.
I still think he needs to trim right down like Petracca did which could take a couple more pre seasons before he moves from the backline, it would allow him far more agility and run off his opponents to find more ball. I see him ending up as more of a mid who has an impact forward of center (not so much a forward target but one that finds the goals from outside 50). He has a booming kick which can catch offenses off guard and he has one of the best physical games you'll see from a young player. Lays a lot of big blocks and his tackles take players to the floor rather than just hold them up. Even against the likes of Petracca and players of his ilk he seems to have some real power and force to stop them in their tracks.

I can see his skills making him into a good midfield prospect but he will be nowhere near the center bounces while he is built like he is imo.
Knightmare's assessment of Stocker in 2018

Liam Stocker (VIC)
Height, Weight:
183cm, 83kg
Profile: Prolific contested ball-winner with clean skills who runs all day. Awarded the Morrish Medal for the TAC Cup's best and fairest.

His tank wasn't too bad back then.
His tank isnt so much an issue in terms of running in general, its more that hes a very explosive player so he needs to have the freshness to explode out of stoppages rather than just make it to and from them. If you watched most games of his this year he covered the ground quite well but seemed like he recieved a lot of stationary balls around stoppages and would run off well below max speed in general play which limited his impact. He's quite fast when he gets going but he needs to build his tank so he can spend more time in that top speed/explosive mode per game, much like Trac has under Burgess regarding his fitness.

Despite playing good footy there I don’t think he’ll ever reach his full potential as a HBF. He’s not quick or strong overhead and while a good user he’s not quite at that level where you want him to be your main distributor.

I like him more then plenty of the other Blues young mids so you’d expect he gets an opportunity through their soon.

Can’t see him leaving Carlton though.

He’s got a decent turn of pace and he’s pretty reasonable overhead for his height.

Wasn’t recruited to be a back pocket, but he’s surprisingly good in the position.

Can see him playing a fair bit of midfield next year, even with Cerra and Hewett coming in. Another pre-season will do him the world of good as he builds his engine, he looked comfortable in the few stints he had had at the stoppages though. Quick hands.

His fearless attitude makes him a far better prospect than silky escape and then shank kick Dow.

Play him in the guts
Yup agree , throw him in the deep end it’s about time, he’ll definitely find his way.
Liam’s issues are lack of aerobic capacity and discipline to do something about it, same all story just lack of maturity and professionalism , he can be mentored if managed well. Otherwise we’ll lose him.

Yup agree , throw him in the deep end it’s about time, he’ll definitely find his way.
Liam’s issues are lack of aerobic capacity and discipline to do something about it, same all story just lack of maturity and professionalism , he can be mentored if managed well. Otherwise we’ll lose him.

Lack of discipline to do something about it? Where has that come from?

Lack of discipline to do something about it? Where has that come from?
Liam had same aerobic deficiencies as a junior and in January he’ll be 22 years old and still can’t play 4 quarters in the engine room.
Competition for a places in the midfield will only increase 2022 onwards hopefully this gives him the spike he needs to get going.

Last edited:
Famous for being the first live trade under the new rules. Will stocker get a game with Carlton in the rise?

Could be a few clubs looking to pick the talented mid up end of season if he cannot squeeze in?
Like quite a number of kids in the system, it's taken Stocker a couple of years to understand the amount of work required to be successful as an AFL-level footballer. I think he'll only go from strength-to-strength under Voss, Hansen & Power.

Dow is the one that will struggle.

Liam had same aerobic deficiencies as a junior and in January he’ll be 22 years old and still can’t play 4 quarters in the engine room.
Competition for a places in the midfield will only increase 2022 onwards hopefully this gives him the spike he needs to get going.

Im sure clubs will be going after him but you can forget about 3rd and 2nd round picks. Only because fans absolutely love him.

How do you know he can’t play midfield? And if he can’t, how do you know it’s a lack of discipline holding him back from doing so?

Sounds like a lot of made up nonsense to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i dont think he will be a great mid, but could be involved in mid rotations for Carlton, i think his best suited as a flanker because of his poor stamina, which is what we have seen so far in his limited career to date, strong, brave half back so far, probably not worth a 1st rounder, but thats the way the cookie crumbles.

i dont think he will be a great mid, but could be involved in mid rotations for Carlton, i think his best suited as a flanker because of his poor stamina, which is what we have seen so far in his limited career to date, strong, brave half back so far, probably not worth a 1st rounder, but thats the way the cookie crumbles.
Looking at his draft then Rowbottom is about the only one who’s shown anymore who was taken after him. At the time I was hoping like hell we made the trade for Hill but very happy now.

Last edited:
Weird. Entrenched in our best team in a position of need, appears to relish his role. Close thread.
Absolutely true, he is incredibly invested in this club.

Some quotes from the 16 minute interview from two months ago

“I find so much joy and so much pride in pulling on that CFC logo: I never really expected to when I got drafted and I probably didn’t appreciate it in my first year,” he said.

“Whether it’s at half back, full forward, in the midfield, wherever it is — I just want to help this club get back to where it belongs,” he said.

“I love being part of that back seven. I’d run through a brick wall happily for any of those guys.

Isn't going anywhere.

I think Stocker will make it only if he plays as a midfielder.

Strange call.

Looks very comfortable as a close checking back pocket and has the combined toughness and defensive nous (and intent) to succeed in the role if we wanted to continue developing him in defence.

Let's just say, after about the first half dozen, Stocker would be one of the next dozen picked.

Walsh, Weitering, Cerra, Harry, Charlie, Cripps would be 'untouchables'

Next crop - Martin, Williams, Hewett, JSOS, Saad, Fisher, TDK, Stocker. 'Highly Valuable'

Veterans - Jones, Ed Curnow, Newman, Sam Docherty

Injured stars - Marchbank, Cunningham, McGovern, Setterfield

Rising Youngsters - Kemp, Durdin, Carrol, Honey, Philp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back