List Mgmt. 2021-2022...List management.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow you write some carp.
In one paragraph we are not good enough, but we might pinch 1 or even 2 premierships?
No hang on we should be rebuilding.
Make your mind up.
Is he a crap writer? Or are you a crap reader?!

He says we "will not win 3 finals in a row against the top 4/8 calibre teams. We might pinch 1, maybe even 2, but we wont claim 3." ... Finals! ... Not Premierships.

He is not really far off the mark IMO. After two failed prelims, what have we done to improve it?

Is he a crap writer? Or are you a crap reader?!

He says we "will not win 3 finals in a row against the top 4/8 calibre teams. We might pinch 1, maybe even 2, but we wont claim 3." ... Finals! ... Not Premierships.

He is not really far off the mark IMO. After two failed prelims, what have we done to improve it?
No I am a carp writer, meant finals.
My point is that if you can win 1 final of course you can win 2,3 or even 4
Improvement comes from the players you have.
No one recruits a premiership team over summer

Thats what Ken would say, and he then will come up with another crap line like "the competition is very even", after we once again fall short in 2022.

All I can say is ... Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting to win the premiership in 2022 is the definition of AFL insanity. Go back to 2019, and this board was laughing at an under-performing Demons. Touted by everyone to be the next big thing, they bombed from 5th position down to second last. "Goodwin was toast" we all thought. They clawed their way up to 9th in 2020. Then minor premiers & premiers in 2021.

Your plan of "play your best players" and the rest will work out, just doesnt work in modern-say football. Melbourne had a plan to develop a premiership side, and they stuck to that plan. They played young player from the get-go, and allowed them time to develop and gain confidence. Port & Ken on the otherhand seems to have no plan.

As an example, Hayes MUST be played from the get-go next year. He is our future ruckman, and must be given assurance that the spot is his, and Lycett becomes his backup. The midfield must be given to Ollie, Rozee, and Butters, and Bergman, take it its yours. back them, develop him them.

If we dont do the above & more, it will be 2020/21, rinse and repeat.

Maybe you missed the crux of my previous post. Our issue is not the players and certainly not the midfield. We have the reigning brownlow medalist for a reason after all. Our issue is relying on them for winning games. Our issue is not being awake in the first quarter. Our issue is coaching and forward structure.

All of those can be addressed without tanking in the midfield by not playing our best mids. The idea that Hayes is ahead of Lycett without even playing a game is pretty crazy too. Yes he needs games and has to develop but ditching Lycett cause the other guy gives you hope isn't rational.

I thought we were but that exposed a lot of flaws when we come up against the elite sides, and deal with the weight of expectation. That loss was jarring and shook everyone's faith in what we have. If we'd lost a close game it wouldn't have been as near as bad, but to be embarrassed and out of the game after 15 minutes said a lot about where we are, to where we want to be.

Next year is the last crack for the senior players we have for me, if we can't win a flag and look unlikely come mid season I think we are better off getting games into the youngsters and planning our next crack at it. A lot to come next season, but it's a crossroads either way.

It was a terrible loss and makes me question whether this side is capable of handling pressure if we are in the same situation again but I’m not giving up on this group over one bad game. They’ve shown they’re capable over the last two years.

I’m certainly not endorsing we change our entire list management strategy over one bad game either.

I think the issue is mainly between the ears, where the pressure of big games gets to us. Rather than a lack of talent on the list, so a complete overhaul isn’t required.

It’s happened a lot throughout our entire AFL journey, not sure exactly why.

2003 we got absolutely pantsed in the first half against the swans in the QF. It wasn’t too dissimilar to what happened against the dogs. We showed fight to get back in the game at least though but we were then pantsed again against Collingwood in the prelim. This was after dominating the minor rounds that year.

Even in 2004 we s**t ourselves in a prelim and just got over the line. But we did, and we ended up in a premiership that year with what everyone thought was an ageing list that had missed their chance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do we really have stars all over the park? I count about three & one of them needs to phased out.

Definitely have a bunch of guys I'd have at star level when fit, and then a bunch either more on the cusp or capable of it. With a gameplan that relies heavily on individual brilliance you don't win 31 out of 39 H&A games over the last two years without them.

Clarko would have delivered multiple flags in the last 9 years with our players.

It was a terrible loss and makes me question whether this side is capable of handling pressure if we are in the same situation again but I’m not giving up on this group over one bad game. They’ve shown they’re capable over the last two years.

I’m certainly not endorsing we change our entire list management strategy over one bad game either.

I think the issue is mainly between the ears, where the pressure of big games gets to us. Rather than a lack of talent on the list, so a complete overhaul isn’t required.

It’s happened a lot throughout our entire AFL journey, not sure exactly why.

2003 we got absolutely pantsed in the first half against the swans in the QF. It wasn’t too dissimilar to what happened against the dogs. We showed fight to get back in the game at least though but we were then pantsed again against Collingwood in the prelim. This was after dominating the minor rounds that year.

Even in 2004 we sh*t ourselves in a prelim and just got over the line. But we did, and we ended up in a premiership that year with what everyone thought was an ageing list that had missed their chance.

LOL. The 3 horsemen of the apocalypse.

1. Everyone thought we were great before the prelim.
2. It was just one bad game
3. Remember 2003

Are you sure you are not David Koch?

All you need now for the bingo is remember 2012 and were just a little battler club.

LOL. The 3 horsemen of the apocalypse.

1. Everyone thought we were great before the prelim.
2. It was just one bad game
3. Remember 2003

Are you sure you are not David Koch?

All you need now for the bingo is remember 2012 and were just a little battler club.
I don’t even know what the 3 horseman of the apocalypse means.

I’m hardly a happy clapper but drowning in a pool of doom and gloom all pre season isn’t really my thing but you do you champ.

Next year is basically the last chance with this group before some sort of rebuild. Boak, Gray, Lycett, Jonas, McKenzie, Dixon all close to or over 30. The idea of next year being a development year is absurd.

I dont see how these players have what it takes to contend again. I could be wrong but I feel like the window is shut. At best, they'll maintain 2021 form but there isn't going to be the kind of improvement required to beat a team like Melbourne.

I dont see how these players have what it takes to contend again. I could be wrong but I feel like the window is shut. At best, they'll maintain 2021 form but there isn't going to be the kind of improvement required to beat a team like Melbourne.

Don't disagree but we have more chance next year than in the years after.

I can't see us dropping off much when aside from the Dees, Dogs & Lions the comp is average to garbage, hardly a positive I expect more of the falling short outcome.

I don’t even know what the 3 horseman of the apocalypse means.

I’m hardly a happy clapper but drowning in a pool of doom and gloom all pre season isn’t really my thing but you do you champ.

the fourth one is %^*&%%^ hubris and you never see the barsteward chargin atcha until its too late is what it means

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you think Melbourne supporters would have said this time last year? Barely 12 months ago when we played them up in QLD, that loss triggered Doomsday scenarios by the media for the club. They were insipid. And yet now, they are champions.

Whilst we underdelivered this season, I'm not just going to write the team off. My personal opinion is that if we had a change of senior coach, we'd be near favourites for the flag. But I'm not going to sit here and think "jeez we're a mile off it" - because if that were the case, they never would have gotten to a prelim in the first place. I'm not excusing that performance either, it was a disgrace. But you don't make a prelim unless you're doing a lot of things right.

Fix some issues around the edges and this side can win a flag.
Melbourne weren't redlining. They were an underpeforming side. Instead we've been pretty much doing all we can with this list and coaching group. How much more can we do than score 2 home prelims in a row.

Unlike many others who seem to just move on within a week from the last result, seemingly forgetting what's just happened and then letting themselves just suffer the same fate over and over, as if they're insane. I can't forget what we've seen for years. I'm willing to accept that the continuing trends we've seen for years aren't just disappearing overnight. The team and our coach has a lot to prove before I believe they could consistently beat top 4-8 sides like Melbourne proved they could.

Do we expect SPP will be in the SANFL in round 1 after the club tried shipping him off, or do you guys think they'll give him a fair go if he has a good pre-season?

who does h epush out of your best 22 for r1? I was at Sam's first game in sydney, even got to run onto the ground and help pull the banner up that day. and it hurts to see the promise not fulfilled on many levels. If we see him as a dead end well play him against less competitive sides and let him increase trade value.

Do we expect SPP will be in the SANFL in round 1 after the club tried shipping him off, or do you guys think they'll give him a fair go if he has a good pre-season?
I think they’ll give him a fair go if they see he’s determined to get fitter and get around the ground better , for me he needs to reduce his turning circle if it’s possible , he’s worth preserving with but only if he’s prepared to do what it takes

To me Sam plays a bit too round shouldered, I’d be encouraging him to focus on building strength in the small of his back so he can play a bit straighter , he had times last year when his agility was quite poor so I think the club is right in putting some heat him , just hope it works

Is it just me or is it the same old posters that just keep rehashing this Doomsday scenario day after day no matter what thread I read.
Hell as I have previously posted I think we have stuck a gorilla on our back that can only be released when we win a Prelim.
That doesn’t mean at every chance I have to pot Coaches,Recruiters,the board,players, and even past players.
The idea of being a true supporter is to be strong in your following and have the back of your club.
The garbage spewed out by a group of posters is just plain boring.
To somehow find a way to undermine Ken Hinkley’s coaching with remarks at every possible chance has become ho hum.
We lost the Prelim in a shocking way but ask the other 14 clubs who didn’t get that far if they would have liked to get to the same stage and see what they say.
So come back at me with your happy clapper speil because like the sack Hinkley vibe it is just a reflection of the posters lack of originality and inability to have thoughts outside of the herd.

Melbourne weren't redlining. They were an underpeforming side. Instead we've been pretty much doing all we can with this list and coaching group. How much more can we do than score 2 home prelims in a row.

Unlike many others who seem to just move on within a week from the last result, seemingly forgetting what's just happened and then letting themselves just suffer the same fate over and over, as if they're insane. I can't forget what we've seen for years. I'm willing to accept that the continuing trends we've seen for years aren't just disappearing overnight. The team and our coach has a lot to prove before I believe they could consistently beat top 4-8 sides like Melbourne proved they could.

You can argue that Port are currently an underperforming side, they just didn't underperform to the levels that Melbourne did in 2020. I also look at Melbourne's record against top 8 sides this year and it was bloody unbelievable to be frank. Pretty much every other contender had roughly a 50/50 W/L rate against top 8 sides, they took everyone to the cleaners. And they did it with internal growth - I mean, bringing in Ben Brown wasn't the reason these guys went from basket case to premiers in 12 months.

I don't see this Port team as one that's hit their ceiling. Far from it imo. If you plug in Georgiades for Ladhams into our "best" lineup this past season, 11 of the 23 players (including the sub) at currently 25 years old or less, and that is ignoring Lachie Jones who will likely be in our best side this upcoming season. Just 5 are over 30 (Motlop, Jonas, Gray, Boak and Dixon). Whilst Boak and Dixon remain key focal points of the team, neither Motlop or Gray are playing vital roles at this point of their career, and Jonas remains serviceable on bigger bodies down back.

The big if for me is whether the club is going to be able to get more out of the following players: Butters, Rozee, Duursma, Bergman, Drew and SPP. That's where the midfield improvement is going to have to come from. The first part is the talent - we know these guys have the talent in them. If that can be drawn out of them to perform at a high level on a consistent basis, that's going to raise our overall performance immensely, to the point whereby I would be expecting a premiership.

We have football enough to win. We must acknowledge that.

We lack that “something” which separates good teams from champions. We have seen this time and time again.

Of course, “luck” can make up for such a lack (and “unluck” can harm those who has the “stuff”), but one cannot rely on luck to win.

Is it just me or is it the same old posters that just keep rehashing this Doomsday scenario day after day no matter what thread I read.
Hell as I have previously posted I think we have stuck a gorilla on our back that can only be released when we win a Prelim.
That doesn’t mean at every chance I have to pot Coaches,Recruiters,the board,players, and even past players.
The idea of being a true supporter is to be strong in your following and have the back of your club.
The garbage spewed out by a group of posters is just plain boring.
To somehow find a way to undermine Ken Hinkley’s coaching with remarks at every possible chance has become ho hum.
We lost the Prelim in a shocking way but ask the other 14 clubs who didn’t get that far if they would have liked to get to the same stage and see what they say.
So come back at me with your happy clapper speil because like the sack Hinkley vibe it is just a reflection of the posters lack of originality and inability to have thoughts outside of the herd.

This post is poetry. Were you one of the Germans still supporting old mate with the funny moustache as berlin burned?

Oh yeah, sack hinkley.

Maybe you missed the crux of my previous post. Our issue is not the players and certainly not the midfield. We have the reigning brownlow medalist for a reason after all. Our issue is relying on them for winning games. Our issue is not being awake in the first quarter. Our issue is coaching and forward structure.

All of those can be addressed without tanking in the midfield by not playing our best mids. The idea that Hayes is ahead of Lycett without even playing a game is pretty crazy too. Yes he needs games and has to develop but ditching Lycett cause the other guy gives you hope isn't rational.
Mate you are a carp reader too, because I am not far away from you actually. I am not actually too bothered we missed Merrett, or any other import. I also feel we already have the talent to go all the way. And yes I agree the problem lies with coaching & selection. See that was easy!

Where I disagree with you is the road we should take. A combination of injury and poor coaching meant 2020 was a wasted year. Butters and Rozee didnt get the opportunities in the middle that the club trumpeted would happen. Ladhams, whom we now know the club didnt really rate, was played in favour of Hayes delaying his development. Ken's MO of making selections and tactics to save his career, inspires zero confidence that anything will change. We have the talent, but the evidence is that it is being wasted!

Finally, sorry I dont really rate Lycett as highly as many here. He is a warrior & gives his all, his main asset is his strength at the contest. But he cant jump at all, and his tapwork is ordinary to poor - often to the opposition, who seem to rove his tap work better than our mids. I am not saying drop him, but Hayes has to play from day one, along with Lycett. He has to be given his chance now. Just like Luke Jackson has been allowed to play & find his level, we have to see if Hayes can step up. Hell, if Hayes supposedly isnt ready, then why the hell did they get rid of our other ruckman? No excuses! he has to play!

Unless we make the changes needed, and allow these guys the time needed, then 2022 will go the same way as the last two years. It might mean we slip back a bit in 2022, I dont care! But on the otherhand, we might do well ... Just do it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back