Russell Ebert elevated to Sport SA Hall of Fame ‘legend’ status

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Port Adelaide great and four-time Magarey Medallist Russell Ebert has become just the seventh member of the South Australian Sport Hall of Fame to be elevated to “legend” status.
The three-time SANFL premiership winner, who played 392 senior games for the Magpies and dominated South Australian football in the 1970s and ‘80s, was unanimously recognised this week by the Hall of Fame Board of Governors as an athlete who holds “a revered place within the community” and delivered “exceptional performances that are almost beyond belief”.

Only Sir Donald Bradman, Bart Cummings, Victor Richardson, Gillian Rolton, Anna Meares and Ebert’s long-time friend and former rival Barrie Robran have been bestowed with “legend” status since the Hall of Fame was inaugurated in 2010.
On Thursday, Robran and Hall of Fame selection committee member Bruce McAvaney presented the award to Ebert and his wife Di at their home.
Robran paid tribute to the long-time Port Adelaide captain’s skills on the football field and the influence he had on South Australians throughout his playing career, while McAvaney lauded Ebert’s community work to reduce domestic violence, educate youth and support children with disability.

Upon learning of the award, Ebert – who has been battling an acute myeloid leukemia diagnosis since December last year – said he was “uncomfortable being elevated above others but I honestly believe this is about the contribution of my family, the club and community that have contributed along the way”.
“These types of awards are for everyone no matter what small or large part they played and so I thank everyone for the part they have played in my journey and in this acknowledgment,” he said.

“They all deserve a piece of the acknowledgement for themselves.
“I feel this represents our great state, our sporting community and clubs and in particular our sporting volunteers.”

https://indaily.com.au/sport/2021/1...ell-ebert-named-sport-sa-hall-of-fame-legend/

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont know much about selection stuff for this, but cannot believe he was not already a Legend in SA HoF. Also, is hard to see him like he is right now. :'(

Honestly I think these Hall of Fame things are a sham. I'm pleased Russell has been recognised but I don't need a bunch of stuffed shirts from the Adelaide Club to tell me how monumental Russell's contribution has been to Port Adelaide, South Australian and Australian football and the community.

I mean, look at the list of sportspeople who have preceded him into Legend status - Only Sir Donald Bradman, Bart Cummings, Victor Richardson, Gillian Rolton, Anna Meares and Ebert’s long-time friend and former rival Barrie Robran have been bestowed with “legend” status since the Hall of Fame was inaugurated in 2010. How he was not already in this company, and ahead of most of it, is a farce. Chris Dittmar would have probably been in ahead of Russell if he hadn't been so sick.

I apologise for going off on a tangent, but this belated recognition makes me angry. As I said, I'm pleased Russell has received this recognition, but he's been a legend in my and many others' eyes for many, many years and it is disgraceful this has not happened sooner.

<end rant>

They’re a sham. When you consider he’s still in the conversation with some as to who was the GOAT with Robran it’s a joke he still isn’t a legend in the AFL HoF.
Not sure why but I think his one year in Melb probably hurt his chances even though he had a good year considering he was 30 and flying over every week.

Honestly I think these Hall of Fame things are a sham. I'm pleased Russell has been recognised but I don't need a bunch of stuffed shirts from the Adelaide Club to tell me how monumental Russell's contribution has been to Port Adelaide, South Australian and Australian football and the community.

I mean, look at the list of sportspeople who have preceded him into Legend status - Only Sir Donald Bradman, Bart Cummings, Victor Richardson, Gillian Rolton, Anna Meares and Ebert’s long-time friend and former rival Barrie Robran have been bestowed with “legend” status since the Hall of Fame was inaugurated in 2010. How he was not already in this company, and ahead of most of it, is a farce. Chris Dittmar would have probably been in ahead of Russell if he hadn't been so sick.

I apologise for going off on a tangent, but this belated recognition makes me angry. As I said, I'm pleased Russell has received this recognition, but he's been a legend in my and many others' eyes for many, many years and it is disgraceful this has not happened sooner.

<end rant>

Yes, I thought this thread must have been bumped from when BigFooty first began.

Whats quite sad is that it took Russell to be really sick for them to finally do this.

He should have been inducted years ago and well before some of the other 'legends'

Almost too hard to look at how much he has deteriorated in the last 6 months.

Love you Russ

Was thinking the same thing. It's not like he's done anything extra since Rolton and Meares were inducted. Should have been inducted at the same time as Robran really. They both had an extraordinary impact on the broader sporting landscape in SA.

Go well Russ.
Big man with a big heart.

Was thinking the same thing. It's not like he's done anything extra since Rolton and Meares were inducted. Should have been inducted at the same time as Robran really. They both had an extraordinary impact on the broader sporting landscape in SA.

Go well Russ.
Big man with a big heart.
The fact Meares and Rolton were inducted before Russell just proves how garbage this whole 'honour' is

I completely agree with Ford above. The whole thing is a sham

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

congratulations russ, nothing has ever been more deserved, thank you for everything. i hope one day to be 1/100th the man russ is

<end rant>

Yeah, maybe, but its only been around just over a decade, so you have the world's greatest cricketer, I think universally recognised the State's greatest Footballer, the state's greatest dual footballer/cricketer, the bloke that has trained the most Melbourne Cup winners and a couple of token females (Meares is a champion by the way, but she probably isn't quite up there with likes of the males mentioned).

At least he got in before Jack Oatey.

<end rant>
HoF concept is fine. The Legend status Australian sports has latched onto is complete BS and unnecessary. Baseball were the first sport in the world to set up a HoF, in Cooperstown upstate NY in 1936, to celebrate 100 years since the first competitive game was played, and they have never seen the need to arbitrarily split a % of players or coaches from the rest for marketing / feel good factor.

Yeah, maybe, but its only been around just over a decade, so you have the world's greatest cricketer, I think universally recognised the State's greatest Footballer, the state's greatest dual footballer/cricketer, the bloke that has trained the most Melbourne Cup winners and a couple of token females (Meares is a champion by the way, but she probably isn't quite up there with likes of the males mentioned).

At least he got in before Jack Oatey.

...and #Malcom

HoF concept is fine. The Legend status Australian sports has latched onto is complete BS and unnecessary. Baseball were the first sport in the world to set up a HoF, in Cooperstown upstate NY in 1936, to celebrate 100 years since the first competitive game was played, and they have never seen the need to arbitrarily split a % of players or coaches from the rest for marketing / feel good factor.
For football the problem starts from elevating average players (like Bickley) to the HoF so they have a regular stream entering. Which is bullshit. It shouldn't matter if one year they have 0 and the next 7. From there it only gets compounded for the AFL with a % again allowed as Legends. Again it shouldn't matter if in the next 2 - 3 years they put in numerous legends like Ebert into the AFL Legends, to get in overlooked SANFL and WAFL legends in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back