List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
The more I watch and read up on James Tunstill the more he is warming to me for one of our picks. I think he has a lot of upside and development potential, and is taller than I realised at 185.
This is another reason why I like Hough as well. To show so much in his first year in a more structured environment shows to me some exciting signs.
If we don't pick Johnson, and we have the chance, we will regret it for years. There isn't many players at his height with his foot skills on both sides.
In my opinion, if you are on the slower side you need to be quick in the mind and evasive, which Johnson is.

Erasmus to Freo at 6 or 8.

Reckon they’ll take Amiss and Erasmus.

We’ll take Johnson.

#uninformedopiniononly

To be honest, reckon Fremantle take N.Erasmus and M.Johnson with their first two picks, J.van Rooyen with the last of the first round (21) and look to top up on talls in next year's draft where the quality will be both superior and more widely available.

It has all the makings of a very good draft for them.

If we remain at pick 10(12), I expect that we'll end up taking M.Roberts or B.Hobbs.

It would be good to manufacture an additional pick before Fremantle's current third selection in the unlikely outcome of such targets sliding and still being on the board beyond our first selection.

Gut feeling Johnson is available to us and we pass on him.
Not what I am hearing. I am pretty relaxed on our first pick and believe we will pounce on MJ if there and if not, we have other good mid options. Watch for Cal’s Top 25 and if MJ starts to rise, then he is hearing other clubs (inside our pick) want him. The fact that nobody is putting any more link than the WA connection is usually another good sign. We usually work quietly.

I am sensing Rachele to be a Docker. No insider info but he feels like a purple sort or pick.

Gut feeling Johnson is available to us and we pass on him.

Classic - Album on Imgur

Mock from Knightmare. https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...**********-espn-early-two-round-phantom-draft

Has us taking Johnson, Chesser and Sam Banks.

For Dark Sharks Sheldrick goes between Chesser and Banks. Will let you enjoy finding out who to...

So an inside mid (yay) but then 2 outside or HBF types?

I think we'll be more balanced and take 1 tall instead of one of the HBF's.

It's pretty close for us though. Hawks making out like bandits with Calllaghan at 7.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus he has a fewt of first round guys sliding down the order. Calla goes at 7 but the biggest one is Matt Robert at 27

To be honest, reckon Fremantle take N.Erasmus and M.Johnson with their first two picks, J.van Rooyen with the last of the first round (21) and look to top up on talls in next year's draft where the quality will be both superior and more widely available.

It has all the makings of a very good draft for them.

If we remain at pick 10(12), I expect that we'll end up taking M.Roberts or B.Hobbs.

It would be good to manufacture an additional pick before Fremantle's current third selection in the unlikely outcome of such targets sliding and still being on the board beyond our first selection.
I'm starting to sense Roberts as a slider and is a real chance to be at our second pick.

Mock from Knightmare. https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...**********-espn-early-two-round-phantom-draft

For Dark Sharks Sheldrick goes between Chesser and Banks. Will let you enjoy finding out who to...
Almost dream draft IMO, Johnson and Chesser are A+++ selections and tick two huge list needs. MJ inside class, and Chesser outside run and class.

Banks breaks the dream, so replace with him with this:

Erasmus would be the dream result at our 1st. He's a gun intercept marker, gun mid (averaged 28 for Subi) and capable of kicking bags too.

Rachele the other I'm keen on, averaged 19 and nearly 3 goals a game. So only averaged 2 possessions a game less than MJ but was kicking bags too. Speed, power and skill, yes please.

Last edited:
What do the stats tell us we need . Running Half back Flanker and a hard ball getter . Our guns of the past (Hurn , Shepherd, Jetta ) . Need a new penetrating kicker . If Cole ,Nelson and Duggan are in the 22 we are stagnating .
STAT2021 AVG.RANK
Clearance Diff.+1.4#6
Scores from Stoppages31.6#6
Bad stats
STAT2021 AVG.RANK
Oppo Score per In5047.0%#17
Groundball Diff.-14.4#18
D50 to I5018.7%#18

Also include in the bad tackles: 18th

Not sure if the stat is kept, but pretty confident we'd be top 4 for having our tackles broken also. (i.e. our tackle numbers are low both because we don't attempt as many, and because we execute poorly when we do attempt to tackle).

If broken tackles were a stat we would be leading that one by a country mile

Johnson - balanced mid.
Chesser - attacking HB / wingman.
Banks - attacking HB / wingman.

That trio would deliver sublime footskills, lots of run and carry and all three are great leaders.

Would be a really good draft haul ......... to good to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back