The Pelican Brief: Your one stop shop for everything NOLA

Remove this Banner Ad

Another pretty typical New Orleans season.

After nothing short of an atrocious start to the season, they've turned themselves into a competitive team. And with the surprisingly weak state of the West, they find themselves a mere 2 games out of a play-in spot. So where do they go for the second half of the year?

With Zion looking like a no-go for the entirety of the season, are they sellers at the trade deadline and trade some pieces (Hart?) and tank the rest of the season for a stronger draft and in the hope of finding the next big piece?

Or being so close to the play-in, are they buyers come the deadline to fill out some holes in the roster and try to extend the season and maybe even sneak into playoffs?

Do they stand pat and trust that the current roster can continue to grow and save any further movement for the end of the season?

What is Zion's future? Is his move to rehab in Portland concerning? Is he untradable and if not, what would it take to move him on?

A few notes:

Willie Green has proven a good choice as coach (even if almost by default). He has the players really bought in to the system and playing hard.

JV is everything we could have hoped he'd be.

Ingram has taken another step and hopefully gets an All-Star nod.

Hart has been very good and I hope he sticks around.

Devonte has been meh.

Should've let Lonzo walk for nothing.

NAW and Jax have been mightily disappointing.

TM3 has suffered a tough and disappointing rookie campaign.

Herb is a gun. Sign him to a 10 year contract. #notonherb

Jax balling out since moving to the 4

Awesome win. I've been listening to Green speak lot lately and this team is going places with him at the helm.

A fit Zion next year and with continued improvement from Herb, Trey and a couple of others and we could give the league a scare.

And we're virtually assured of a top 10 pick thanks to the Lakers shitting the bed.

Go Pels. 👌

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LAC vs NOLA, proudly brought to you by the 2020/21 Trail Blazers. LAC going out in the play-in tournament is probably the humane thing to occur. No Kawhi all season, no PG for most of the season and then he goes out again for this one.

NOLA are going to cause some headaches. Two games in and a 30 point game from 3J followed by a 30 points game from BI. Phoenix obviously a lot better, but two back court scoring options and enough size to match Ayton is a good start.

CJ extends for 2/64

Taking him to 4/133 with us

Overpaid? Maybe a little, but what he brings in leadership is invaluable

When are NOLA going to get themselves a point guard? Only closer is the big dude, Zion), CJ and Brandon, are shooting guards, just don't the job done with the game on the line.

The Pels roster is so deep how Chris Paul is not in New Orleans right now baffles me.

Now it's like, what are you doing with Billy H and Hayes now Liddell is back and how can Eddie and Dyson play on the same team when they have identical strengths and weaknesses, and why didn't the GM trade your two first round picks (coz what you didn't need was another shooting guard sitting behind the 2 Hall of Famers you already have) through in one of these two and a couple more future first rounders.to Memphis for Ja Morant

Who goes from leading the West at the end of the year to not making the playoffs ffs

Whoa. Show down, Nelly.

Let me go through this piece by piece.

When are NOLA going to get themselves a point guard?

We do need a distributor, agreed. We are, however, unorthodox in having three creators at the 2,3 & 4 positions, or at least those are the positions that our 'Big Three' would be playing in an ideal world.

I'd prefer McCollum's salary was traded away and split between a functional point guard and more shooting depth, but we'll have to see.

Only closer is the big dude, Zion), CJ and Brandon, are shooting guards, just don't the job done with the game on the line.

Eh, we have guys who can make shots. I think our system needs to be better in closing games out, better coaching decisions made. I'm not worried about our shot-making ability, when healthy.

The Pels roster is so deep how Chris Paul is not in New Orleans right now baffles me.

Because he's on a colossal contract?

We were supposedly into Kyle Lowry before he signed in Miami. History proves that this would have also been a mistake.

We could use a steady hand distributing. Paying north of $30 mil for point guards over the age of 35 is however decidedly NOT what we need.

Now it's like, what are you doing with Billy H and Hayes now Liddell is back

I'd be surprised, and dismayed, if Hayes is even tendered a QO. Billy, 50/50 depending on how the rest of the roster shakes out. He's fine for a third string centre on a minimum contract. I dunno if Liddell, who is a second round pick coming off a serious injury and possibly not big enough to play the 5, should be dictating our decisions here. We need to get our starting centre sorted, THAT'S the big one.

and how can Eddie and Dyson play on the same team when they have identical strengths and weaknesses,

Who?

and why didn't the GM trade your two first round picks (coz what you didn't need was another shooting guard sitting behind the 2 Hall of Famers you already have) through in one of these two and a couple more future first rounders.to Memphis for Ja Morant

We only had one first round pick.

And why didn't we trade a bunch of picks for Morant? Well, let's see:

• Memphis would have to actually WANT to make that deal. There's no sign that they do.
  • we'd have to send out matching salary, so who?
  • do we really need another problem child when we're having to treat Zion with kid gloves?
  • do we really need another ball dominant player with questionable defensive aptitude?

Who goes from leading the West at the end of the year to not making the playoffs ffs

A team that immediately lost its best two players upon reaching the top of the West?

See, Charlotte Hornets 1993/4 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back