Politics Centrelink

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
So Centrelink complain anytime you go into the office because you can do everything online, yet you cannot report your employment income online if you've worked too many hours...I'm not getting paid either way so it doesn't bother me if it's late, but it's pretty stupid system.

There isn't a Centrelink office that I can attend during the day anyway as we don't have one where I work and I sure as s**t don't have enough time to sit on the phone, I guess I'll wait for them to call me?

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
hehehe

Sure it is.
Of course it is, making it as irritating as possible is part of any governments MO to make people desperate enough to find any work instead. Along the lines of work might be s**t but it's less annoying and stressful that dealing with CL and these agencies they have as well these days.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Given that we're apparently plunging face-first into another recession, it looks like there'll be a lot more 'bludgers' around.

Bloody bludgers. If only we could put all the bludgers into a room, and then blow the room up!

Then the world would be a better place. The sun would be shining that bit more brightly, the birds would be singing that little bit louder, the sky would be that little bit bluer, ScoMo would be that little bit less cringeworthy to look at...

:drunk:

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Unfortunately when decency, common sense and basic humanity come up against neoliberal ideology, guess where our politicians' loyalty lies.

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond

vs

Sure, we'll find a spare $30M lying around to create more opportunities for our mates to leech from the system.

Jesus.

I don't know about everyone else's experience, but if you have a tax issue or a data issue, the message you get from the department concerned is "we want to sort this out so you keep going". They get the stick out if you try to dodge them from there on. If you're a SME, you fix things up (with a hefty interest rate). If you're a really big business you can hold a protracted legal fight over their head and negotiate your bill downwards.

If you're a recipient of welfare, they seem to want you to burn slowly to the sound of their cheering voices.

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
... and the amount involved, which Centrelink was disputing because they wanted to do asset testing, totalled around $15k.

But it's his fault, because if he was a prayerful man, our kind and just god of prosperity would have showered him in riches and he wouldn't be needing the dole.

And we're back to " absolute *s making decisions " level.

Oh well it was a nice 18 months while it lasted.

11 days until " Jobsearch " is due but just get a text saying obligations have been brought FORWARD to the 13th

So why is jobsearch due AFTER obligations return ???
What am i missing ?

Last edited:

Personally i've taken a total of $150 from an ATM in the last 2 years.

Is it a bad idea or poorly executed? ( this government and poorly executed goes hand in hand ).

Im not opposed to some a-hole on welfare being forced not to spend most of it on booze and gambling. Its disingenuous to suggest that that never happens.
So yes , some people do need someone to tell them how to spend their money.
Its welfare not " &%$* the kids im getting pissed."

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong

Is it a bad idea or poorly executed? ( this government and poorly executed goes hand in hand ).

Im not opposed to some a-hole on welfare being forced not to spend most of it on booze and gambling. Its disingenuous to suggest that that never happens.
https://independentaustralia.net/po...din-helloworld-and-other-chumgate-scams,12402

Indue
The Indue cashless welfare card is another nice little earner. The intent of the card (essentially a debit card) is to control how welfare payments can be spent. For instance, an Indue card cannot be used to buy alcohol. The company that administers the card, Indue Pty Ltd is a corporation owned by Liberal and National Party members that in turn donates to the Liberal and National parties.

Indue charges the Government $12,000 per card to administer. Yes, you read that correctly — $12,000. That’s taxpayers’ money (our money) going to a cabal of former Liberal and National MPs, who also then donate a portion back to their respective parties. That’s taxpayers’ money going straight back to the Party and the Indue shareholder skimming their own cut off the top.

But wait, there’s more! In remote areas, there are often very few stores where cardholders can spend their welfare money. In some remote mining communities, the only stores that will accept the Indue card are owned by the mining companies themselves — often Liberal Party donors. They can hike prices up and syphon off the taxpayers’ funds every time a purchase is made. It’s the old company store trick, revamped for the digital age.

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
It's not the getting cash from an ATM that's the issue. The issue is being restricted to a limited set of retailers and service providers who can accept the card.

Google is your friend, as is the search function here. Stories abound, such as people in remote areas having to travel 150km to fill their car, because the only petrol pump in town is at the only shop in town which can't get authorisation to accept the card because they also sell beer. Can't buy clothes/shoes locally and can't use the card to buy online.

The theory is sound.

But with the way this s**t govt awards contracts or handles any criticism ??.......
Not on your life

Back