List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Jarrod Brander [Off to GWS]

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Brander isn't going to do much elsewhere. He is simply an average player. He will play elsewhere for a few years and get delisted again but doubt he will do much going forward then he already has with us. Just one of those plodder types. We could do without passengers if we want to turn our list into a contender again we need to remove these vanilla type players like Brander. That will set us back. He will need to grow a heart and put his body on the line a lot more then he has.. Don't think he has it in him to do that to be honest.

Anyway speaking of Brander I heard some knob on the radio today saying he should go to St Kilda as they need key backman

Haha good luck to him anyway. Maybe some team can turn him into a Backman as he sure as hell isn't a midfielder or forward going by what his produced.

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

DJMac

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2015
West Coast, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
When looking back at drafts, I like to see who else was taken after our pick in that round. Hindsight distorts drafts, as you have the benefit of seeing who actually make it at AFL. Looking at who was selected at the time reflects what people actually thought then.

There's not many after Brander in the first round that actually did anything. Starcevich and Powell seem like the only two. I don't watch either team often, so can't say if they are actually any good.

i remember the draft well. Most people thought we were taking Oscar Allen with our first pick. I hoped we would take Tim Kelly with our next pick. Somehow Allen was still there for our second pick so we got 2 talls. Geelong got Kelly and we took Liam Ryan then Petch.

2 years later we give up the best part of 2 years draft picks for Kelly. 4 years later we delist Brander for nothing. We got lucky that Allen was still there but when You look at it combined with what we later gave up for Kelly the Brander pick us the worst drafting decision in the clubs history.

Last edited:

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Best available is a fine enough strategy when your list is balanced, or even mostly balanced.

But we've been so heavy on good tall's for quite some time now that we are one club where it really doesn't apply. We need midfielders and we need them badly.

For us to not pick up a midfielder with our first pick at 10 (? ish) it would need to be a KPP that we had projected for the top four or five that has fallen through. And even then our need for midfielders might well supersede that.

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
For us to not pick up a midfielder with our first pick at 10 (? ish) it would need to be a KPP that we had projected for the top four or five that has fallen through. And even then our need for midfielders might well supersede that.
Yeah even then I’d still rather a mid. Brander was a projected potential pick 1 at one point so I hold very little value in pre-draft projections.

Total_Juddshanks

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Fee
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The good ones
For what its worth, Oscar Allen and Schofield's take on it after the delisting is Brander should be a 200 game AFL player.

For what its worth, Oscar Allen and Schofield's take on it after the delisting is Brander should be a 200 game AFL player.

Oscar Allen refers to him as his best mate though, not a huge surprise.

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Yeah heard that. Also, Oscar said Brander's now 198cm tall (and himself now 195). And his best position is as a 3rd tall defender (didn't sound like Schofield really agreed with that bit)

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Imagine using a first rounder on a third tall, and having him kept out of the side by the bloke taken last in the draft :straining: Or a rookie so far down the pecking order he doesn't even have the right jumper (and no one noticed) if we're talking defenders.

Jake Waterman 300 gamer confirmed.

Oscar Allen refers to him as his best mate though, not a huge surprise.

So Oscar will be rapt the club shafted his best mate then while simultaneously playing Allen into the ground, injured, and risking his longer term future.

Might lose both of them for below value when Oscar's contract comes up.

supernatural-dean-winchester.gif

So Oscar will be rapt the club shafted his best mate then while simultaneously playing Allen into the ground, injured, and risking his longer term future.

Well he’s contracted until the end of 2025 so has 4 years to get over it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

He's a pro footballer, if he was that precious he'd be joining Brander out the door.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Easton Wood retired at the Dogs, body starting to fail. Brander would be a decent replacement 3rd tall down back.

And they need more tall backs, one area of weakness.

People need to move on and stop being so salty. The club stuffed him around and he wasnt strong enough or luckier with injuries to come good in the time frame. I hope he does ok and makes it work, will cry if he becomes a gun.

Last edited:

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Eastern Wood retired at the Dogs, body starting to fail. Brander would be a decent replacement 3rd tall down back.

And they need more tall backs, one area of weakness.

People need to move on and stop being so salty. The club stuffed him around and he wasnt strong enough or luckier with injuries to come good in the time frame. I hope he does ok and makes it work, will cry if he becomes a gun.
Estern Wood was a footballer, no comparison with Bander

Moose1414

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
If he's going anywhere, GWS would be a good option. I would hate it if he got to a Vic club and played well.

True, but if I were Brander Brisbane would be the club I'd head to if that were at all possible. GWS just seems like a poor managed club with a bog average coach. Brisbane on the other hand are a Premiership contender without a key forward for 2022. If there was a way onto that list this is the prime position at AFL level for a 198cm 22 year old who's been starved of opportunities up forward. Fagan seems a coach who's personality would be a good fit for him too. Also also, Hipwood is a dud kick on goal who in 2023 will be coming off an ACL and Daniher is 5 years older than Brander and prefers to play ruck, so decent medium and long term an opportunity up forward as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back