Racing WS Cox Plate 2021 - dedicated raceday thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Seem to remember Lets Elope going wrecking ball one race and nothing.

She got relegated from 2nd to 5th in the Cox Plate

In the Cup she also knocked down half the field but won by so far it didn't matter

She’ll give Incentivise 2kg (WFA scale) and have to carry the second highest impost for a winning mare in history. Wouldn’t do it to her.

What if he has an elevated temperature the morning of the race? Nothing to lose as its the last run for her prep anyway.

VE ran to her mark for mine. Good horse but no champion and beat home all bar the raider and new star on the scene. Don’t think she went all that much better in the Autumn tbh

Protest could have gone either way for mine and I would have shrugged it off as fair enough. Moe probably wins without the contact but don’t really want to see ones with minimal contact upheld in cox plates

Lol come on mate - the chance VE ran 'to her mark' today is absolutely zero - she is an absolute champion. Her mark is running Addeyb close on multiple occasions and downing AVD in a Caulfield Cup - today she has been rolled by a legit Group 2.5 horse (if generous - probably more like G3/Listed level) in State of Rest. She has run absolutely nowhere to her true ability. Yes she might have got close today getting the suck runs through like the first 2 but at her best with those runs she wins this no problem. It would be fair to say she was already off her best in the Autumn (although even then some wanted her to head to the Arc after the Ranvet win) but there is zero chance what she produced today is what she was producing at her career peak.

Poor old Verry Ellegant’s reputation seems to take a hit with every start. Swap her runs with the first two across the line and she’d likely have a Cox Plate next to her Caulfield Cup and 8 other group 1’s. That’s despite the fact she does look past her peak and in need of a trip now.

If she isn’t that good it’s awfully hard to get excited about the two that beat her home.

Accurate call is accurate - reading back through the thread 99P also nailed the protest :thumbsu:

These kind of protests just aren't upheld under Australian rules. Willow never stops riding - if anything Anamoe initially edges out a touch and then had the entire straight to run past the winner and couldn't despite looking like he would go straight past. Yes - that could have been because he was interfered with at the margin - but it could equally be because his run was dying - and the stewards can't tell which was which and therefore had no choice but to dismiss the protest. France/Japan/US sure - winner loses the race - but thankfully Australia doesn't have the nonsense DQ rules.

Lol come on mate - the chance VE ran 'to her mark' today is absolutely zero - she is an absolute champion. Her mark is running Addeyb close on multiple occasions and downing AVD in a Caulfield Cup - today she has been rolled by a legit Group 2.5 horse (if generous - probably more like G3/Listed level) in State of Rest. She has run absolutely nowhere to her true ability. Yes she might have got close today getting the suck runs through like the first 2 but at her best with those runs she wins this no problem. It would be fair to say she was already off her best in the Autumn (although even then some wanted her to head to the Arc after the Ranvet win) but there is zero chance what she produced today is what she was producing at her career peak.
Yes
Probably needs to be retired
Super career

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldnt pull the pin just yet id race her in autumn then thats it, would be pretty shocked to see her race on next season

Honestly off that run she should be close to second/third fave at Flemington next Tuesday

Lol no champion just a very good mare. I didnt say she ran a career peak, i said she ran pretty much to the same level as she did in the Autumn. Even at her best performances she hasnt been putting up champion level numbers though

Lol no champion just a very good mare. I didnt say she ran a career peak, i said she ran pretty much to the same level as she did in the Autumn. Even at her best performances she hasnt been putting up champion level numbers though

Tough marker but each to there own.

Wins v Addeyybb and v AvD CC suggests otherwise

Wins v Addeyybb and v AvD CC suggests otherwise

Not really. Addeybb ran to a mark that was panels below anything else he had put up for years in that race and AvD rated considerably better than her in the CC giving her weight and with a tougher run. She just hasnt put up performances to put her into that super elite bracket, a LOT of consistent runs just behind that level though for me to be pretty comfortable that she is a very good consistent mare who was able to pick off G1 in a so so era

Not really. Addeybb ran to a mark that was panels below anything else he had put up for years in that race and AvD rated considerably better than her in the CC giving her weight and with a tougher run. She just hasnt put up performances to put her into that super elite bracket, a LOT of consistent runs just behind that level though for me to be pretty comfortable that she is a very good consistent mare who was able to pick off G1 in a so so era

9 G1's you mean - surprised there aren't more mares doing it and walking in Caulfield Cups with 55 if its so easy

Last edited:
Should've filmed it,lot's of angst as the Pike crew were lined up to get on before they jumped.
Ended up a chorus of "FFS Willy".
Sheepish looks from the lucky ones who missed out losing their money.

Hahahahaha would have been epic lol

Has she put a margin on anything in her wins since she was three? Genuine question, I can’t remember. Tremendous will to win and very consistent but tends to fall in. And against ordinary competition. No champion.

9 G1's you mean - surprised there aren't more mares doing it if its so easy

and Apache Cat has 8 G1s. Doesnt make him a champion.

Im not handing out extra points for consistency either. If she cant put up regular high rating performances that would be competitive against the super elite then she is not a champion in my book. Just a very good mare who ran to around the same B+ mark all the time and so was able to pick off a lot of wins against not much competition

Has she put a margin on anything in her wins since she was three? Genuine question, I can’t remember. Tremendous will to win and very consistent but tends to fall in. And against ordinary competition. No champion.

Won a BMW by 4 in her first open age G1 and then won her next four G1s by a combined total of half a length... and never won another race by more than a length. Just hasn't put up performances to be rated a champion. Very tough and consistent though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back