Who has the better prospects?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Rasha

2017🏆 2019🏆 2020🏆
Aug 25, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Both Carlton and Fremantle are at a similar stage of development after beginning their rebuilds at the same time.
The rebuilds of Carlton and Fremantle began in 2016 and both clubs are now looking at taking the next step which is playing finals and contending.

Carlton began their rebuild when they appointed Bolton after Malthouse was signed as coach to try and win a flag and failed, which was in 2015.
Fremantle began their rebuild after they plummeted down the ladder following their minor premiership in 2015, which was followed by Ross Lyon coming out and declaring a rebuild, saying that Fremantle are going to restump, replumb and rewire.

Fremantle have Fyfe and Carlton have Cripps, both of who are similar players and superstars.
I wouldn't be surprised to see both Carlton and Fremantle make the top 8 in 2022, with one of them making the top 4.
History says a team from outside the top 8 always makes the top 4 the following year and both Carlton and Fremantle are primed.

Who has the better prospects?
Carlton given we know they're coming, we can smell what they're cooking with the cream about to rise to the top and they have no passengers.
Or
Fremantle with their restump, replumb and rewire approach to the list which was began by Ross Lyon and with Justin Longmuir coming in to complete what Ross started, the fruits of their labour are ripe for the picking.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
We look good on paper. Only need a forward line. Schultz'/Treacy's natural improvement, Walters back to form, Stuart playing a full season, as well as Lobb and Taberner with full seasons, perhaps even adding a draftie to the mix could be enough to play finals.

But Carlton could do the job es well.

Depends on which team has everything (Injuries/form/oppositions form) going their way.

Perhaps it comes even down to how we play Carlton again. 2 wins and we would have played finals this year. I like to think both games were winnable...

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Feel like Carlton are a fair way ahead.

For starters Carlton have three genuine AA quality players in Weitering, McKay and Walsh. All young.

Freo have none. Maybe Darcy is potential AA ?

The Freo backline I like but the midfield lacks quality and the fwd line is absolutely terrible.

Last edited:

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers

For starters Carlton have three genuine AA quality players in Weitering, McKay and Walsh. All young.

The Freo backline I like but the midfield lacks quality and the fwd line is absolutely terrible.
So Freo has no youf coming through? Solid post

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Fremantle will take a step back next year IMO.

Still a little over reliant on a 35 year old David Mundy and lacking a decent key forward. Their midfield mid-long term looks great, but undoubtedly Cerra is a big loss.

On the flipside there are more question marks over Carlton next year given a new coach and coaching group. I’d back the Blues to finish higher though.

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo , Coney Island Warriors.

Watch footy much mate ?

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo , Coney Island Warriors.
Fremantle will take a step back next year IMO.

Still a little over reliant on a 35 year old David Mundy and lacking a decent key forward. Their midfield mid-long term looks great, but undoubtedly Cerra is a big loss.

On the flipside there are more question marks over Carlton next year given a new coach and coaching group. I’d back the Blues to finish higher though.

Of course ya would ....... :$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
McKay and Weirering were drafted in 2015 so they started their rebuild then. They are probably a year ahead of Freo in rebuild terms and list profile

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
How many of these threads have Carlton been involved in? They're supposed to be competing with Melbourne and Brisbane.
Last time Blues made finals was 2011 and Fremantle it was 2015.

You would expect the Blues to have been years ahead of Fremantle but they are not.

Blues have heavy traded in the last few seasons and still didn’t climb the table.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle

Luke Ryan in 2020 was AA.

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A couple of young forwards & a speedy winger will be needed in this draft or we might struggle to make the 8.
I'm not sure this year's draft is going to have much of an impact next season, or the one after for that matter. The continued growth of those 3rd to 5th year players and a much better year with injury should see you in the mix again.

Carlton have the superior group coming through with McKay, Walsh, Curnow, Cerra and Weitering.

They should play finals in 2022.

Back