T20I 2021 T20 World Cup - Australia v South Africa - 23 October 2021 9pm AEDT

Allezjuel

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Have SA ever beaten us in a World Cup match of any sort? We own them in cricket. :)
South Africa literally beat us last we played in an ICC match in the ODI world cup in England in 2019. Although that match was the last of the group stage and effectively a dead rubber.

Smith has been too circumspect, he places a lot of pressure on the other batsmen with his slow play.

Not his job he’s there to rotate the strike.

Bare in mind 140-150 is a very good score on these pitches

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Don't think Marsh and Stoinis are our problem.
It's our openers.
Inglis should replace Warner at the top.
Have Smith 3, Maxxy 4, Stoin 5 and Marsh 6.

it should be called 18 overs instead of t20 because it takes finch/warner one over each to get going

its not good enough...they waste too many balls and put pressure on the middle order

A wins a win lads but heaps of work to do.

You could easily have wade/stoinis open.....and kudos to wade today.....best game I have seen him keep for ages and he batted with aggression....i still like inglis though long term :)

Great finishing by stoinis today....maxi had a good game but a terrible shot again in the match situation....smith okay against the spin...marsh was average but was trying to show intent

Bowling was fantastic fielding good ..batting average

alex4445

Team Captain
Sep 20, 2006
Wollongong
AFL Club
Sydney
They are going to back in Warner and Finch IMO - they know we wont win unless one of them actually finds good form, however low the chances of that are.
What they need to do is concede that we wont get a lot from the openers put Smith to 3 and Stoinis to 4 - that way Stoinis can chew up balls early before hopefully hitting big late and Smith who isnt fast enough on high scoring pitches can anchor the innings on these low scoring pitches. Then you have Maxwell, Marsh and Wade to hit out late.

Ultimately the reality is that we dont have any great players waiting in the wings. No one is coming to save us, just make the best of our dearth of talent in T20's and try to get as far as possible.

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
We might not be very good but who else is? We should be beating Bangladesh and SL who had to go through Qualifying. Yeah I know we aren’t guaranteed to beat them but end of the day they are not great sides either and WI are in terrible form.

It’s cool to say we won’t go through but reality is we are a big shot. Sure we will likely crumble in a semi but good chance to get there.

Haze bowled okay but SA's batting is sh*te. They have so many players who are not world class.
Noticed they were flashing stats in the pre-game, most of their top 6 were averging 40+ for the calendar year and they were in better form than us. Good win.

Back