Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My all time favourite player, silky smooth skills, glided across the park like he was barely touching the ground. Even in the quagmires that were commonplace at the 70's suburban football grounds and while everyone was sinking into mud, he would look smooth. And the only player I can remember who would accelerate away from an opponent as he was touching the ball on the ground.

Turns 70 today. Happy Birthday Mr. Greig.

That's the thing that always stuck in my mind about Greigy. He didn't break stride when he touched the ball on the ground. No-one else ever moved so smoothly and no-one ever ran him down.

As a young under 9 and 11 I use to wear the white ankle guards just like my hero 🦸‍♀️

Yes I also wore the Greigy style ankle elastics right up to Under 16s. If ever I forgot, it was a certainty that I would roll an ankle.

Last edited:

Great praise from Dustin Fletcher. His father Ken was no mean footballer. A very good wingman.
Happy Birthday Keith. I saw him play in his first match for Brunswick...the Mighty Wicks!! (Saw Schimma's first match for the Wicks too.) How well did we do getting those two champs to the Kangas?

Thoughts on Mitch Hibberd? I'm curious if he was this kind of a tool when he was at the club. Can't stand him
Can’t ******* stand him. Total douchebag who turned on the crocodile tears when being confronted about leading a girl on when he was secretly flirting with another girl. Oh and btw he has texted half of the girls in Melbourne LMFAO can’t get anyone to save his life, serves him right.

My all time favourite player, silky smooth skills, glided across the park like he was barely touching the ground. Even in the quagmires that were commonplace at the 70's suburban football grounds and while everyone was sinking into mud, he would look smooth. And the only player I can remember who would accelerate away from an opponent as he was touching the ball on the ground.

I never saw him play live but I reckon his highlights have aged really well. I hated having to see him hand the cup to Adelaide in 1998 and hope he is first in line if/when we salute again.

I never saw him play live but I reckon his highlights have aged really well. I hated having to see him hand the cup to Adelaide in 1998 and hope he is first in line if/when we salute again.

Only saw the last few years of his career. A mate of mine who's a bit older than me swore than Keith Greig was the best player he ever saw at North, until around 1998 when he reluctantly conceded that Carey was better.

Think I would go for Blight
His marking was incredible
Fabulous kick for goal
Think he could kick both sides and can remember him running around selling dummies so his ground work was spot on too
Possibly Glendinning, not so mercurial but virtually never made a mistake
Played forward played back
Superb footballer
Excitement Hard to beat Sam Kekovich
Must have been 16 stone plus of power was bloody fast early on
Crosswell was pretty much a warrior when he played for us, the complete Big Game player
Possibly the toughest, tho they were nearly all incredibly tough, were D Dench and Rossy Smith
What about Archer and Pickett and Mighty Mick Martyn
We have had an absolute truckload of fantastic footballers
Tarryn is on the way to getting on that list
His evasion, ball handling, marking are right up there
Winston Abraham was a star, but TT is verging on unstoppable if he can get another 5-10k of muscle stacked on

Can’t ******* stand him. Total douchebag who turned on the crocodile tears when being confronted about leading a girl on when he was secretly flirting with another girl. Oh and btw he has texted half of the girls in Melbourne LMFAO can’t get anyone to save his life, serves him right.
typical * player :)

Think I would go for Blight
His marking was incredible
Fabulous kick for goal
Think he could kick both sides and can remember him running around selling dummies so his ground work was spot on too
Possibly Glendinning, not so mercurial but virtually never made a mistake
Played forward played back
Superb footballer
Excitement Hard to beat Sam Kekovich
Must have been 16 stone plus of power was bloody fast early on
Crosswell was pretty much a warrior when he played for us, the complete Big Game player
Possibly the toughest, tho they were nearly all incredibly tough, were D Dench and Rossy Smith
What about Archer and Pickett and Mighty Mick Martyn
We have had an absolute truckload of fantastic footballers
Tarryn is on the way to getting on that list
His evasion, ball handling, marking are right up there
Winston Abraham was a star, but TT is verging on unstoppable if he can get another 5-10k of muscle stacked on
I loved Blighty as well, even had 15 on my duffell coat, i reckon blight was like a rich mans phil baker, but Greiggie was just a thoroughbred though and complimented shimma on the other wing perfectly. Reg (correctly so) says crosswell was a big game player, Arnold briedis prolly fitted that title as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always a footy hero of mine, though I probably saw more of the end of his career.

Was there for his 300th and final game in that final against the Dogs.

Unfortunately a victim of the VFL's change of rules regarding game tallies made around the late 80s. Back in the day, State games were played at the same time as home & away games. Players selected for Victoria were unavailable to play for their club that weekend, but the game was counted to their official games tally. The VFL reversed that rule so several star players from the early and mid-70s had games deducted from them after they retired.

Although Keith Greig played a 300th game in the 1985 First Semi against Footscray (and was credited as the first to play 300 for North), he is now not counted as a 300 game player at all, with his total reduced to 294.

IT USUALLY takes a few years to assess the impact a draft class will have on the League, butAFL.com.au has had a look at the 2020 crop following their first season.

Rather than casting judgement, we've used the AFL Player Ratings system to see the impact made by anyone selected at last year's NAB AFL Draft.

The top 20 players – based on their average score each game – are listed below.

No.1 pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, who had to wait a good portion of the season before Luke Beveridge unleashed him for the Western Bulldogs, was 31st, averaging 3.7 Player Ratings points a game.

1. Errol Gulden (Pick No.32, Sydney), 159.6 Rating Points, av 8.9ppg

The Swans Academy product took the competition by storm with a dazzling three-goal, three-assist debut in a round one upset over Brisbane. Had a brilliant season, finishing fifth in the NAB AFL Rising Star award.

2. Jake Bowey (Pick No.21, Melbourne), 60.4 Rating Points, av 8.6ppg

The season's Cinderella story, Bowey came into Melbourne's backline in round 20 against Gold Coast and finished with a premiership medallion seven matches later.

3. Lachie Jones (Pick No.16, Port Adelaide), 49.4 Rating Points, av 8.2ppg

Another defender in the top three, Jones became an instant cult hero among Port fans with his moustache, mullet and no-nonsense approach.

4. Riley Thilthorpe (Pick No.2, Adelaide), 102.3 Rating Points, av 7.3ppg

The No.2 pick from last year's NAB AFL Draft, Thilthorpe kicked five goals on debut against Hawthorn and finished with 18 from 14 games in a terrific first season.

5. Tom Powell (Pick No.13, North Melbourne), 91.7 Rating Points, 7ppg

Super consistent first year for the hard-working midfielder who averaged 17 disposals in 13 games before the Kangaroos took a conservative approach and shut his season down early.

WOsYCezD.jpg

North Melbourne's Tom Powell tackles Brisbane's Lachie Neale during round 14, 2021. Picture: AFL Photos
6. James Rowe (Pick No.38, Adelaide), 133.6 Rating Points, av 7ppg

The mature-age recruit made an instant impact with his energy and goalsense in the Crows' forward line. Kicked 15 goals and averaged almost 13 disposals.

7. Tom Highmore (Pick No.45, St Kilda), 90.7 Rating Points, 7ppg

Another mature-age (23) pick-up that had a big impact with his intercept marking and composure in defence. Looks to be a long-term staple for the Saints.

8. Tanner Bruhn (Pick No. 12, Greater Western Sydney), 84.5 Rating Points, av 6.5ppg

Became a regular late in the season for the finals-bound Giants, impressing with his pressure and activity inside forward 50.

9. Sam Berry (Pick No.28, Adelaide), 110 Ratings Points, av 6.5ppg

A small forward defensive terrier, Berry just loves to tackle. He laid 10 in just his second game against Sydney and averaged four – along with nine disposals – for the year.

10. Tyler Brockman (Hawthorn), 69.6 Rating Points, av 6.3ppg

Another small forward to make the list, Brockman showed plenty in his 11 games, kicking 10 goals, including three in the final round draw against Richmond.
11. Isiah Winder (Pick No.57, West Coast), 6.1 Rating Points, av 6.1ppg

Played just one game for the Eagles, round four against St Kilda, kicking a goal from five disposals.

12. Conor Stone (Pick No.15, Greater Western Sydney), 29.2 Rating Points, av 5.8ppg

The best of his five games came on the big stage, called in to play the semi-final against Geelong after not playing since round eight. Stone kicked 2.1 from eight disposals and also gave one goal assist.

13. Corey Durdin (Pick No.37, Carlton), 11.3 Rating Points, av 5.7ppg

Called in to play the final two rounds of the season against Port Adelaide and Greater Western Sydney, Durdin kicked a goal against the Giants and gave an assist in each game.

14. Will Phillips (Pick No.3, North Melbourne), 89.8 Rating Points, av 5.6ppg

The No.3 draft pick got better as the season wore on, playing 16 games and showing his ball-winning ability. Phillips' average was hurt a touch by playing as an unused substitute twice.

15. Caleb Poulter (Pick No.30, Collingwood), 60.7 Rating Points, 5.5ppg

Shot to prominence with an influential final quarter in a narrow loss to Port Adelaide in which he kicked a crucial goal and finished with 22 touches for the day. Played 11 games and averaged 15 disposals.

QmXbFKxH.jpg

North Melbourne's Will Phillips evades a tackle from the Western Bulldogs' Bailey Williams during round 16, 2021. Picture: AFL Photos
16. Zach Reid (Pick No.9, Essendon), 5.5 Rating Points, av 5.5ppg

The key defender played just one game, against Brisbane in the wet in round five, in a season that was curtailed by glandular fever and then a stress fracture in his back.

17. Max Holmes (Pick No.20, Geelong), 64.8 Rating Points, av 5.4ppg

The athletic teenager, who the Cats traded up to select, forced his way into the experienced team late in the season. Played 12 games (including three as an unused sub), including two finals.

18. Logan McDonald (Pick No.4, Sydney), 37.1 Rating Points, av 5.3ppg

The No.4 pick in the draft showed a ton of talent early in the season, kicking three goals on debut against Brisbane and seven in his first three matches. The thought of more games alongside Lance Franklin is tantalising.

19. Nik Cox (Pick No.8, Essendon), 114.9 Ratings Points, av 5.2ppg

While other draftees were conserved in their first seasons, Cox was a workhorse, playing 22 games – more than any other first-year player. The towering wingman wingman averaged 12 disposals and had his overall average lowered by a couple of appearances as an unused substitute.

20. Braeden Campbell (Pick No.5, Sydney), 40 Rating Points, av 5ppg

Much like his teammate McDonald, Campbell was influential early in the season before injury (stress reaction in his shin) slowed him down. Had 25 disposals in round two against Adelaide to show off his penetrating kicking from half-back.

12EsRi21WR1415.JPG

Richmond's Jason Castagna tackles Essendon's Nik Cox in round 12, 2021. Picture: AFL Photos
The rest
21. Eddie Ford (Pick No.56, North Melbourne), 24.6 Rating Points, av 4.9ppg

22. Harry Sharp (Pick No.43, Brisbane), 9.8 Rating Points, av 4.9ppg
23. Archie Perkins (Pick No.9, Essendon), 102.8 Rating Points, 4.9ppg
24. Denver Grainger-Barras (Pick No.6, Hawthorn), 23.4 Rating Poins, av 4.7ppg
25. Beau McCreery (Pick No.44, Collingwood), 59.1 Rating Points, av .5ppg
26. Finlay Macrae (Pick No.19, Collingwood), 40.4 Rating Points, av 4.5ppg
27. Heath Chapman (Pick No.14, Fremantle), 26.5 Rating Points, av 4.4ppg
28. Brayden Cook (Pick No.25, Adelaide), 12.8 Rating Points, av 4.3ppg=
29. Brandon Walker (Pick No.50, Fremantle), 42 Rating Points, av 4.2ppg
30. Luke Edwards (Pick No.52, West Coast), 30.9 Rating Points, av 3.9ppg
31. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (Pick No.1, Western Bulldogs), 18.7 Rating Points, av 3.7ppg
32. Charlie Lazaaro (Pick No.36, North Melbourne), 38.5 Rating Points, av 3.2ppg
33. Connor Downie (Pick No.35, Hawthorn), 4.8 Rating Points, av 2.4ppg
34. Oliver Henry (Pick No.17, Collingwood), 21 Rating Points, av 2.2ppg
=35. Joel Western (Pick No.54, Fremantle), 8.5 Rating Points, av 2.1ppg
=35. Maurice Rioli Jr (Pick No.51, Richmond), 4.2 Rating Points, av 2.1ppg
37. Luke Pedlar (Pick No.11, Adelaide), 2.2 Rating Points, av 1.1ppg

IT USUALLY takes a few years to assess the impact a draft class will have on the League, butAFL.com.au has had a look at the 2020 crop following their first season.

Rather than casting judgement, we've used the AFL Player Ratings system to see the impact made by anyone selected at last year's NAB AFL Draft.

The top 20 players – based on their average score each game – are listed below.

No.1 pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, who had to wait a good portion of the season before Luke Beveridge unleashed him for the Western Bulldogs, was 31st, averaging 3.7 Player Ratings points a game.

1. Errol Gulden (Pick No.32, Sydney), 159.6 Rating Points, av 8.9ppg

The Swans Academy product took the competition by storm with a dazzling three-goal, three-assist debut in a round one upset over Brisbane. Had a brilliant season, finishing fifth in the NAB AFL Rising Star award.

2. Jake Bowey (Pick No.21, Melbourne), 60.4 Rating Points, av 8.6ppg

The season's Cinderella story, Bowey came into Melbourne's backline in round 20 against Gold Coast and finished with a premiership medallion seven matches later.

3. Lachie Jones (Pick No.16, Port Adelaide), 49.4 Rating Points, av 8.2ppg

Another defender in the top three, Jones became an instant cult hero among Port fans with his moustache, mullet and no-nonsense approach.

4. Riley Thilthorpe (Pick No.2, Adelaide), 102.3 Rating Points, av 7.3ppg

The No.2 pick from last year's NAB AFL Draft, Thilthorpe kicked five goals on debut against Hawthorn and finished with 18 from 14 games in a terrific first season.

5. Tom Powell (Pick No.13, North Melbourne), 91.7 Rating Points, 7ppg

Super consistent first year for the hard-working midfielder who averaged 17 disposals in 13 games before the Kangaroos took a conservative approach and shut his season down early.

WOsYCezD.jpg

North Melbourne's Tom Powell tackles Brisbane's Lachie Neale during round 14, 2021. Picture: AFL Photos
6. James Rowe (Pick No.38, Adelaide), 133.6 Rating Points, av 7ppg

The mature-age recruit made an instant impact with his energy and goalsense in the Crows' forward line. Kicked 15 goals and averaged almost 13 disposals.

7. Tom Highmore (Pick No.45, St Kilda), 90.7 Rating Points, 7ppg

Another mature-age (23) pick-up that had a big impact with his intercept marking and composure in defence. Looks to be a long-term staple for the Saints.

8. Tanner Bruhn (Pick No. 12, Greater Western Sydney), 84.5 Rating Points, av 6.5ppg

Became a regular late in the season for the finals-bound Giants, impressing with his pressure and activity inside forward 50.

9. Sam Berry (Pick No.28, Adelaide), 110 Ratings Points, av 6.5ppg

A small forward defensive terrier, Berry just loves to tackle. He laid 10 in just his second game against Sydney and averaged four – along with nine disposals – for the year.

10. Tyler Brockman (Hawthorn), 69.6 Rating Points, av 6.3ppg

Another small forward to make the list, Brockman showed plenty in his 11 games, kicking 10 goals, including three in the final round draw against Richmond.
11. Isiah Winder (Pick No.57, West Coast), 6.1 Rating Points, av 6.1ppg

Played just one game for the Eagles, round four against St Kilda, kicking a goal from five disposals.

12. Conor Stone (Pick No.15, Greater Western Sydney), 29.2 Rating Points, av 5.8ppg

The best of his five games came on the big stage, called in to play the semi-final against Geelong after not playing since round eight. Stone kicked 2.1 from eight disposals and also gave one goal assist.

13. Corey Durdin (Pick No.37, Carlton), 11.3 Rating Points, av 5.7ppg

Called in to play the final two rounds of the season against Port Adelaide and Greater Western Sydney, Durdin kicked a goal against the Giants and gave an assist in each game.

14. Will Phillips (Pick No.3, North Melbourne), 89.8 Rating Points, av 5.6ppg

The No.3 draft pick got better as the season wore on, playing 16 games and showing his ball-winning ability. Phillips' average was hurt a touch by playing as an unused substitute twice.

15. Caleb Poulter (Pick No.30, Collingwood), 60.7 Rating Points, 5.5ppg

Shot to prominence with an influential final quarter in a narrow loss to Port Adelaide in which he kicked a crucial goal and finished with 22 touches for the day. Played 11 games and averaged 15 disposals.

QmXbFKxH.jpg

North Melbourne's Will Phillips evades a tackle from the Western Bulldogs' Bailey Williams during round 16, 2021. Picture: AFL Photos
16. Zach Reid (Pick No.9, Essendon), 5.5 Rating Points, av 5.5ppg

The key defender played just one game, against Brisbane in the wet in round five, in a season that was curtailed by glandular fever and then a stress fracture in his back.

17. Max Holmes (Pick No.20, Geelong), 64.8 Rating Points, av 5.4ppg

The athletic teenager, who the Cats traded up to select, forced his way into the experienced team late in the season. Played 12 games (including three as an unused sub), including two finals.

18. Logan McDonald (Pick No.4, Sydney), 37.1 Rating Points, av 5.3ppg

The No.4 pick in the draft showed a ton of talent early in the season, kicking three goals on debut against Brisbane and seven in his first three matches. The thought of more games alongside Lance Franklin is tantalising.

19. Nik Cox (Pick No.8, Essendon), 114.9 Ratings Points, av 5.2ppg

While other draftees were conserved in their first seasons, Cox was a workhorse, playing 22 games – more than any other first-year player. The towering wingman wingman averaged 12 disposals and had his overall average lowered by a couple of appearances as an unused substitute.

20. Braeden Campbell (Pick No.5, Sydney), 40 Rating Points, av 5ppg

Much like his teammate McDonald, Campbell was influential early in the season before injury (stress reaction in his shin) slowed him down. Had 25 disposals in round two against Adelaide to show off his penetrating kicking from half-back.

12EsRi21WR1415.JPG

Richmond's Jason Castagna tackles Essendon's Nik Cox in round 12, 2021. Picture: AFL Photos
The rest
21. Eddie Ford (Pick No.56, North Melbourne), 24.6 Rating Points, av 4.9ppg

22. Harry Sharp (Pick No.43, Brisbane), 9.8 Rating Points, av 4.9ppg
23. Archie Perkins (Pick No.9, Essendon), 102.8 Rating Points, 4.9ppg
24. Denver Grainger-Barras (Pick No.6, Hawthorn), 23.4 Rating Poins, av 4.7ppg
25. Beau McCreery (Pick No.44, Collingwood), 59.1 Rating Points, av .5ppg
26. Finlay Macrae (Pick No.19, Collingwood), 40.4 Rating Points, av 4.5ppg
27. Heath Chapman (Pick No.14, Fremantle), 26.5 Rating Points, av 4.4ppg
28. Brayden Cook (Pick No.25, Adelaide), 12.8 Rating Points, av 4.3ppg=
29. Brandon Walker (Pick No.50, Fremantle), 42 Rating Points, av 4.2ppg
30. Luke Edwards (Pick No.52, West Coast), 30.9 Rating Points, av 3.9ppg
31. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (Pick No.1, Western Bulldogs), 18.7 Rating Points, av 3.7ppg
32. Charlie Lazaaro (Pick No.36, North Melbourne), 38.5 Rating Points, av 3.2ppg
33. Connor Downie (Pick No.35, Hawthorn), 4.8 Rating Points, av 2.4ppg
34. Oliver Henry (Pick No.17, Collingwood), 21 Rating Points, av 2.2ppg
=35. Joel Western (Pick No.54, Fremantle), 8.5 Rating Points, av 2.1ppg
=35. Maurice Rioli Jr (Pick No.51, Richmond), 4.2 Rating Points, av 2.1ppg
37. Luke Pedlar (Pick No.11, Adelaide), 2.2 Rating Points, av 1.1ppg

Isaiah Winder only played 1 game! Corey Durdin only played 2! The article qualifies itself in its first sentence basically saying this exercise is pointless right now, but only relying on flawed "Player Rankings" and then placing in order with no minimum games qualification make it not only pointless, but stupid.

Greig v
. Wood
. Geoff Ablett
. Flower
. Fletcher
. Byrne
. Gordon
. Barham
. Neal
. Hawkins

Great Saturday afternoon's in the '70's.

I can remember when Greig was not picked to play and the team ran out and did their warm up and just before the game started our player Tony May ran off up the race and Keith ran on to play. The crowd broke out in cheers and clapping like crazy.

Great praise from Dustin Fletcher. His father Ken was no mean footballer. A very good wingman.
Happy Birthday Keith. I saw him play in his first match for Brunswick...the Mighty Wicks!! (Saw Schimma's first match for the Wicks too.) How well did we do getting those two champs to the Kangas?

l did also , never missed a game in those days ..It was our family day out..seeing as my father played 1 year with them in the 50s. He loved the club right up until he passed away..

I can remember when Greig was not picked to play and the team ran out and did their warm up and just before the game started our player Tony May ran off up the race and Keith ran on to play. The crowd broke out in cheers and clapping like crazy.

Was there too out the front of the social club. Good trivia question.

We had social club seats next to the race. Great days as a kid. Great memories.

Rain, hail or shine we would get there for the reserves and on the occasion when the under 19’s would play we would get there for the three games. We would get to the gate before it opened and run in to get the seats near the front. Memories

Rain, hail or shine we would get there for the reserves and on the occasion when the under 19’s would play we would get there for the three games. We would get to the gate before it opened and run in to get the seats near the front. Memories

Where did you live ? I grew up Canning st.flats then commission in Broady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back