News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might be bullshit, but my son was refused service today for not having proof of double vaccination.

Fixed that up for the whole family today. All double vaccine with smartphone proof.
So how long is this going on for and when/where does it end?

You already know the answer to this…

The titans of global capitalism are exploiting the Covid-19 crisis to institute social credit-style digital ID systems across the West.
The death by starvation of Etwariya Devi, a 67-year-old widow from the rural Indian state of Jharkhand, might have passed without notice had it not been part of a more widespread trend.

Like 1.3 billion of her fellow Indians, Devi had been pushed to enroll in a biometric digital ID system called Aadhaar in order to access public services, including her monthly allotment of 25kg of rice. When her fingerprint failed to register with the shoddy system, Devi was denied her food ration. Throughout the course of the following three months in 2017, she was repeatedly refused food until she succumbed to hunger, alone in her home.

Premani Kumar, a 64-year-old woman also from Jharkhand, met the same demise as Devi, dying of hunger and exhaustion the same year after the Aadhaar system transferred her pension payments to another person without her permission, while cutting off her monthly food rations.

A similarly cruel fate was reserved for Santoshi Kumari, an 11-year-old girl, also from Jharkhand, who reportedly died begging for rice after her family’s ration card was canceled because it had not been linked to their Aadhaar digital ID.

These three heart-rending casualties were among a spate of deaths in rural India in 2017 which came as a direct result of the Aadhaar digital ID system.

Full article below.

The titans of global capitalism are exploiting the Covid-19 crisis to institute social credit-style digital ID systems across the West.
The death by starvation of Etwariya Devi, a 67-year-old widow from the rural Indian state of Jharkhand, might have passed without notice had it not been part of a more widespread trend.

Like 1.3 billion of her fellow Indians, Devi had been pushed to enroll in a biometric digital ID system called Aadhaar in order to access public services, including her monthly allotment of 25kg of rice. When her fingerprint failed to register with the shoddy system, Devi was denied her food ration. Throughout the course of the following three months in 2017, she was repeatedly refused food until she succumbed to hunger, alone in her home.

Premani Kumar, a 64-year-old woman also from Jharkhand, met the same demise as Devi, dying of hunger and exhaustion the same year after the Aadhaar system transferred her pension payments to another person without her permission, while cutting off her monthly food rations.

A similarly cruel fate was reserved for Santoshi Kumari, an 11-year-old girl, also from Jharkhand, who reportedly died begging for rice after her family’s ration card was canceled because it had not been linked to their Aadhaar digital ID.

These three heart-rending casualties were among a spate of deaths in rural India in 2017 which came as a direct result of the Aadhaar digital ID system.

Full article below.
It probably serves her right for not getting vaccinated.

You’ll like this one too, latest BBC advert aimed at teenagers, I’ll give it six months until we have the same public service announcement..

The basic rate in Australia is approximately 13 people per million. For people under 35. This was before COVID. I think the figures are about a decade old.

It will be interesting to see if there is any change due to correlated with the COVID19 vaccination program. I imagine there will be alot of angry people if there is.

Do you concede that the Covid19 pandemic is the biggest health crisis the world has experienced since the Spanish flu just over 100 years ago? Do extraordinary circumstances not justify the use of extraordinary measures to try and return normality to society?

You have spent about 5 minutes in lockdown where you live. In Melbourne, we have endured over 260 days. Once Delta hit the only viable pathway we had out of lockdown was for a very large proportion of the community to roll up their sleeves to receive a vaccine that has proven to be both safe and effective. The quickest way back into lockdown will be significant numbers of people developing illness that requires hospitalisation and ICU care. The data is overwhelmingly conclusive that those most likely to overwhelm our health system are the unvaccinated. They are 5 to 6 times more likely to catch and transmit theirus, andup to 30 times more likely to be hospitalised.

If the price of reopening is that those that have done nothing at all to contribute to society being reopened and pose the greatest threat to our health system and therefore also are those most likely to lead us to further lockdown are excluded from some activities in society where the risk viral spread is more likely, then I am fine with that. I have been out and about over the last few days and it really is a very slight imposition and buy the time you are sipping your first beer or glass of wine you have long forgotten it.

Full article below.
It's four ******* years ago you peanut.

Do you concede that the Covid19 pandemic is the biggest health crisis the world has experienced since the Spanish flu just over 100 years ago? Do extraordinary circumstances not justify the use of extraordinary measures to try and return normality to society?

You have spent about 5 minutes in lockdown where you live. In Melbourne, we have endured over 260 days. Once Delta hit the only viable pathway we had out of lockdown was for a very large proportion of the community to roll up their sleeves to receive a vaccine that has proven to be both safe and effective. The quickest way back into lockdown will be significant numbers of people developing illness that requires hospitalisation and ICU care. The data is overwhelmingly conclusive that those most likely to overwhelm our health system are the unvaccinated. They are 5 to 6 times more likely to catch and transmit theirus, andup to 30 times more likely to be hospitalised.

If the price of reopening is that those that have done nothing at all to contribute to society being reopened and pose the greatest threat to our health system and therefore also are those most likely to lead us to further lockdown are excluded from some activities in society where the risk viral spread is more likely, then I am fine with that. I have been out and about over the last few days and it really is a very slight imposition and buy the time you are sipping your first beer or glass of wine you have long forgotten it.
My kids missed nearly two terms of school but that's five minutes. I live where I live cos I don't like government at the best of times. i'll still do what i choose to do like I always have. I started isolating before the first lockdown.

You're dreaming if you think normality is coming back tho. Normality is not having to account for or justify your presence everywhere you go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have fun guys…
Canada’s military “relied on propaganda techniques similar to those employed during the Afghanistan war”, “shaping” & “exploiting” info “to head off civil disobedience by Canadians during the coronavirus pandemic and to bolster government messages”
Ottawa citizen sounds like a really reputable source
giphy.gif

My kids missed nearly two terms of school but that's five minutes. I live where I live cos I don't like government at the best of times. i'll still do what i choose to do like I always have. I started isolating before the first lockdown.

You're dreaming if you think normality is coming back tho. Normality is not having to account for or justify your presence everywhere you go.
What's normal, though?

Twenty years ago, having a phone that could access the internet wasn't normal.

Five years ago, having the tax office send you letters via an online portal - MyGov - wasn't normal.

In ten years from now, maybe having to drive the car yourself won't be normal.

"Normal" is an ever changing concept, and it's different for every person, depending on their circumstances.

I consider it normal now to check in with the QR code when I go in most places. But that's only because of the current circumstances, and I sincerely hope we went still be doing it in two years from now.

No he's just a campaigner. And same applies to those who follow him.
he's exploiting the current reality (a bunch of people locked inside, not getting the social interaction they need to be mentally healthy, spending too much time on the computer reading alternative news) to spread bullshit and raise his own profile. putting us all in danger by encouraging people to disobey safety rules. all to raise his media profile and make sure he doesn't have to get a real job.

you can guarantee he himself is vaccinated, because he wouldn't want to actually put himself at risk. just the hordes of people who are listening to him.

he's exploiting the current reality (a bunch of people locked inside, not getting the social interaction they need to be mentally healthy, spending too much time on the computer reading alternative news) to spread bullshit and raise his own profile. putting people in danger by encouraging people to disobey safety rules. all to raise his media profile and make sure he doesn't have to get a real job.

you can guarantee he himself is vaccinated, because he wouldn't want to actually put himself at risk. just the hordes of people who are listening to him.
100%. Also begs for money.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you chose to isolate that is completely your call. Not sure it is relevant one way or the other.

Our kids in Melbourne have missed probably a year of school over the past 18 months. You seem to be bitching about a very minor imposition that is allowing society to reopen, which includes getting our kids back into classrooms and minimising the prospect that they will be home-schooling again.

Excluding the unvaccinated from indoor unmasked public gatherings (pubs, restaurants etc) not only keeps us safer and protects our hospital system, but the prospect of it being in place has also probably been a key driver in getting that vaccination rate up to levels that seemed completely unrealistic just two months ago.

Maybe it's not normal as we knew it in January 2020 but in Melbourne I don't think any of us are taking being able to go to the pub with mates, sit in a restaurant, or even getting a haircut for granted. Three days ago we couldn't do any of those things. If showing proof that I have done something I would have done any way means I can enjoy those things I really don't give a *. I'm not sure there was a viable alternative.

Ottawa citizen sounds like a really reputable source
giphy.gif
Its actually a more reputable source than the Herald Sun. And its a newspaper nearly as old as Melbourne, its about a decade younger. Not an anti vaxxer newspaper either, completely the opposite.

What's normal, though?

Twenty years ago, having a phone that could access the internet wasn't normal.

Five years ago, having the tax office send you letters via an online portal - MyGov - wasn't normal.

In ten years from now, maybe having to drive the car yourself won't be normal.

"Normal" is an ever changing concept, and it's different for every person, depending on their circumstances.

I consider it normal now to check in with the QR code when I go in most places. But that's only because of the current circumstances, and I sincerely hope we went still be doing it in two years from now.
We are sposed to live in a democratic nation in the Westminster tradition following common law, a thousand year process of turning the whim of kings into something resembling a fair society as often as possible.

What will you do if we are checking in with QR codes in two years. Especially if the virus is no longer an issue but its still happening cos if "general security" or some such thing.

Will you keep doing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back