Grand Slam The Australian Summer of Tennis 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, by the looks of that email we should be finding out details next week if the players are getting a call Friday.

The bigger news for me is that qualifying may take place in Melbourne.Makes it feel more like a slam. Could mean an opportunity for maybe a challenger or two.

The speculation this week won't be fun...

Apparently unvaccinated players will be allowed to play at Australian Open but have to complete 2 week quarantine at a hotel.
So Dan makes pariahs out of unvaccinated Victorians not allowing them to do anything until 2023 including visiting the AO tennis as fans, but will allow unvaccinated players at the same tournament to have free reign.

Hypocritical much?

Should be consistent and not allow anyone unvaxxed to play regardless if they test negative before they arrive.

So Dan makes pariahs out of unvaccinated Victorians not allowing them to do anything until 2023 including visiting the AO tennis as fans, but will allow unvaccinated players at the same tournament to have free reign.

Hypocritical much?

Should be consistent and not allow anyone unvaxxed to play regardless if they test negative before they arrive.
We're all in this together.

Every decision is based on medical advice.

:rolleyes:

An unvaccinated player would still follow the rules of other unvaccinated people in Melbourne. They wouldn't be able to dine at restaurants or bars, they won't be able to go shopping, they won't be able to go watch a live show. Unvaccinated players would have to follow the same rules as other unvaccinated people in Victoria.

They'll come here to play in a tournament, train, rest and leave once finished. What is the big deal? Hopefully by mid January next year we are nearing 95% fully vaccinated anyway.

Entry requirements into the country is also a federal decision.

Look a few of us spoke about this being an issue a few weeks ago after Andrews decided to make it political. Andrews may think he is a big deal, he is small fry compared to Djokovic.

The tournament will be an absolute joke and laughing stock if the top players do not compete.

An unvaccinated player would still follow the rules of other unvaccinated people in Melbourne. They wouldn't be able to dine at restaurants or bars, they won't be able to go shopping, they won't be able to go watch a live show. Unvaccinated players would have to follow the same rules as other unvaccinated people in Victoria.

They'll come here to play in a tournament, train, rest and leave once finished. What is the big deal? Hopefully by mid January next year we are nearing 95% fully vaccinated anyway.

Entry requirements into the country is also a federal decision.

Look a few of us spoke about this being an issue a few weeks ago after Andrews decided to make it political. Andrews may think he is a big deal, he is small fry compared to Djokovic.

The tournament will be an absolute joke and laughing stock if the top players do not compete.
The same except unvaccinated players are allowed to mix with vaccinated spectators and staff at a tournament others are precluded from attending for that very reason.

Personally l couldnt give a sh!t one way or the other, but at least make the rules consistent for everyone rather than having special rules for certain people just because they hit a ball over a net, or can sing or act.

This. I really would be amazed if players do take the option of quarantine for two weeks, preparation for the tournament would be stuffed. More likely to pull out and not even bother.

The problem here is Dan's mixed messaging on this issue.

The same except unvaccinated players are allowed to mix with vaccinated spectators and staff at a tournament others are precluded from attending for that very reason.
I see what you are saying and I understand this is a hot topic with lots of opinions. Just on your point, players don't really mix with spectators all that much. Maybe you could make the protocols more strict for unvaxxed players on the grounds of Melbourne Park.

So an unvaccinated player would complete two weeks quarantine and be guaranteed to be negative to covid on release. As we know, both vaxxed and unvaxxed can become positive to covid as well as pass it on to someone else (chance of contracting covid is slightly reduced if fully vaxxed).

I hope I don't make this a political post and I respect different opinions on this. I'm supportive of getting as many people vaccinated as we can, to help the healthcare system. But I do believe that the national plan, which the states and territories agreed to, would be that at 90% fully vaccinated there would not be restrictions between the two groups. Andrews going on about restrictions in place for unvaxxed through 2022 as well does not sit well with me.

On a side note, you could be unvaxxed and I'm fully vaxxed and we could go play tennis in Melbourne tomorrow. We could also go have a bbq in a park or visit each other's place. If an actor or politician or sportsperson come to Australia to perform and complete their two week quarantine period, I'm ok with them being unvaccinated and then having to follow the restrictions in place in that location.

Spectators at the tournament just played in Indian Wells had to be fully vaccinated, but the players did not. Can guarantee there would not have been the fuss made there that has happened today in the Victorian media and government.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see what you are saying and I understand this is a hot topic with lots of opinions. Just on your point, players don't really mix with spectators all that much. Maybe you could make the protocols more strict for unvaxxed players on the grounds of Melbourne Park.

Might work for the top players as they are mainly secluded, but for the rest its a bit hard when they are playing on the outside courts. But you also have the problem of staff and officials mixing with the players. I've worked at the tournament for the last 9 years and there is no chance that players can avoid others. Media, players restaurant, courtesy car drivers, etc, there's always interactions. And then there is their support staff to add into the mix.

So an unvaccinated player would complete two weeks quarantine and be guaranteed to be negative to covid on release. As we know, both vaxxed and unvaxxed can become positive to covid as well as pass it on to someone else (chance of contracting covid is slightly reduced if fully vaxxed).

I hope I don't make this a political post and I respect different opinions on this. I'm supportive of getting as many people vaccinated as we can, to help the healthcare system. But I do believe that the national plan, which the states and territories agreed to, would be that at 90% fully vaccinated there would not be restrictions between the two groups. Andrews going on about restrictions in place for unvaxxed through 2022 as well does not sit well with me.

As I mentioned, like yourself I couldn't care if they were allowed here unvaxxed, my gripe is that with the state government doing it as an exception just because they are sporting stars. Either allow them and also open it up to all patrons of the Victorian (and for that matter Australian) public, or if you are going down the path of restricting the unvaxxed, then employ the same principle to players. Don't play us like fools.

Whether the restriction should be there in the first place is an entirely different debate.

Much ado about nothing - No unvaccinated player will travel to Australia to complete two weeks quarantine - Even if they were stupid enough to consider this as an option then having XMAS in quarantine will bring them to their senses.

Last edited:
an unvaxed tennis player will encounter a lot of difficulties in the next year, Not just here.

It is all very icky, this stuff about government vax mandates. Personally, not a fan of that outside health industries. Too much stick("punishment"), not enough carrot("reward") for me.

A vaxed player having total freedom in the city is a carrot. If you outright ban unvaxed players from completing, then I think it is a stick. Having players having to do 14 days in a hotel room, plus test every day plus other restrictions seems like the right balance between stick and carrot.

does that make sense? :oops: anyway, that is just my opinion as a non-Victorian. Dan Andrews is not my issue or problem (thank god)

I was hoping kooyong exhibition would go ahead
I get the feeling they cancelled it/didn't plan for it before they found out vaxxed players would have no quarantine, because logistically it actually would've been fairly to hold for players not wanting to switch states pre-AO with the updated conditions

Not everyone cares about Christmas.
Some unvaccinated players will surely do the quarantine for $100k+.

You can't compare 2022 with 2021 - Coming into 2021, players were desperate for cash because at least half of the 2020 calendar was cancelled, while coming into 2022, players are better off with most of the 2021 calendar taking place - Think you forget that parts of the world were in lockdown for XMAS 2020, so doubt anyone would want to miss two consecutive XMAS'es.

The rules are inconsistent, this morning ScoMo announced that unvaccinated players will be allowed to play at the AO but will have to quarantine for 2 weeks.

Not sure how the public or Dan Andrews will react to this news.
Greg Hunt just said the states(Etc Victoria) would have to apply for an exemption.

which Andrews will love. legit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back