Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Wearing Prison Bars? Is this what Lockhart Road alluded too a while back?

I'm going to foolishly get my hopes up again, aren't I?
Our number 1 scheduling request for about a decade now, has been to play at home for ANZAC day round, so we can continue our relationship with the defence forces, honouring our past players and admin staff who served and doing stuff with the RSL inc the Peter Badcoe medal. Nothing to get newly excited about in that.

Edit 2004 was the first time the Badcoe medal has been presented so I assume its been the #1 or 2 request since then. Only 2012 have we not had a home game during ANZAC day round.

Our number 1 scheduling request for about a decade now, has been to play at home for ANZAC day round, so we can continue our relationship with the defence forces, honouring our past players and admin staff who served and doing stuff with the RSL inc the Peter Badcoe medal. Nothing to get newly excited about in that.

Edit 2004 was the first time the Badcoe medal has been presented so I assume its been the #1 or 2 request since then. Only 2012 have we not had a home game during ANZAC day round.

I’m aware of all that. Just referencing an oblique post LR made recently about something in the pipeline possibly related to Anzac Round.

I’m aware of all that. Just referencing an oblique post LR made recently about something in the pipeline possibly related to Anzac Round.
If we can't get them for showdown, you reckon the AFL will allow it for ANZAC day?

Feb 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

It's frustrating that we still have to request this anew every year - surely by now we have earned the right to have this locked in permanently? I wonder if Collingwood and Essendon have to request their Anzac Day match annually, or if the AFL treats it as a given?

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I've heard for ANZAC Day we're looking to wear a throwback guernsey in the form of the 2009 majority white clash strip.

Just waiting on permission from Fremantle as they own the rights to majority white guernseys.
That game we played vs Hawthorn in that was a ripper.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

That game we played vs Hawthorn in that was a ripper.

• Do the reigning premiers by 5 goals at the MCG
• Tredrea proves his Indian Summer is no fluke with a further 6 goals and 2 dimes
• Boak, Kornes, Cornes, Rodan, Pearce, Salopek and Carr dominate the middle
• Lade/Brogan ruck tandem looks like it can do it forever
• Chaplin and Carlile hold Buddy-Rough to 3 goals combined, with Jarryd scoreless
• Hartlett debuts and looks terrific, sitting Roughead on his bot with a perfect bump amidst showcasing all the strengths that made him worthy of pick 4
• All this despite being without both Burgoynes and Cassisi

And we roll into the home blockbuster against the Saints on FNF the following week and find ourselves down 65-9 at half time. 🤷‍♀️

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
• Tredrea proves his Indian Summer is no fluke with a further 6 goals and 2 dimes
• Chaplin and Carlile hold Buddy-Rough to 3 goals combined, with Jarryd scoreless
• Hartlett debuts and looks terrific, sitting Roughead on his bot with a perfect bump amidst showcasing all the strengths that made him worthy of pick 4

And we roll into the home blockbuster against the Saints on FNF the following week and find ourselves down 65-9 at half time. 🤷‍♀️

Sack Hinkley.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

You know this is all Hinkley's fault, even if he was in the bush league at the time.

Sack Hinkley now, sack him a few times for the giggles.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

And we roll into the home blockbuster against the Saints on FNF the following week and find ourselves down 65-9 at half time.
Logan takes MOTY

I still think our AFL history post Cahill is to drink our own bathwater tooooo much, in addition we seem to get over hyped infront of our home crowd.

I still think our AFL history post Cahill is to drink our own bathwater tooooo much, in addition we seem to get over hyped infront of our home crowd.

From memory Williams called it ‘the greatest win in our history’ or similar.

Way to keep a lid on it, coach.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Port’s haunted.

Imagine if Gav doesn't nail that shot from the pocket in the 2004 Prelim.

Choco and some pretty weak administration combined with fighting with 1 hand tied behind our backs financially hurt us, no doubt. But the reset under Koch hasn't even made an attempt to re-establish our culture.

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Tom Logan taking the real MOTY

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I think we were ok prior to 2005, we had genuine chokes thanks to poor finals coaching, but for the most part we didn't capitulate anywhere near as predictably unpredictably as we have since then.

There's so many similarities with late era Choco and Ken it's not funny.

At least Choc had the pedigree and runs on the board to justify the smug ‘I’m above all of you peasants, how dare you question me’ attitude.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
At least Choc had the pedigree and runs on the board to justify the smug ‘I’m above all of you peasants, how dare you question me’ attitude.

And we at least only gave him 1 ill advised extension.

Choco was a mad scientist who had genuine coaching chops but flew too close to the sun too often.

Ken is a simpleton.

Byron Picket highlights on AFL.com

Makes me wonder why we don't see more barrels given today's congested forward lines.
Players aren't allowed to practice them at training. Might affect how much useless running they have to do in a game.

Back