Remove this Banner Ad

There can't be many EB/ED falcons left. Start with every single one of those vehicles ever registered in WA.

If they are no longer registered go back to the last known owner and investigate from there as theres a good chance many of them were sold unregistered and/or for scrap.

Agreed. Def can't be too many around. You'd notice it...well I would but then I also notice similar age Commodores after CSK

Yeah extremely odd because I swear I remember someone mentioning a fan belt and someone else mentioning under inflated tyres as probable causes. This is the only forum I'm following (mainly because other forums are still stuck on the parents doing it which after that second interview is IMO def not true) unless someone did delete their post...
I haven’t seen anyone here mention it and it’s a very good point. We all know that noise. I’ve had a problem with the “screeching“ noise from the beginning as clearly there’s a lot of sand and limestone involved with the take off. I was picturing that noise as more of the bog in on sand as spinning tyres trying to grab traction on a loose surface. Why an abductor took off screeching the tyres made no sense.

Showing my age now, but in the early 1990s my first car was a 1984 Holden Gemini. It would sometimes make a screeching noise. Took it to the mechanic who told me the timing belt was on the way out and would cost me a $1000. That's a lot of money for me today let alone back then so I sold the car a week later.
Add a 1984 Holden Gemini to the screeching sound identification blind parade.

Last edited:

I hope the distributed picture of the Ford is related but I tend to think not. It’s a very long way away, and in the opposite direction to what the information they recently gathered suggests. That of course can be explained by someone doubling back. Mainly it’s that distributing a picture with such a specific timeframe to a specific area/group seems too narrow to me at this stage. Not only would I have thought that they wouldn’t have such specific information about the car, if they did, I would have expected them to distribute the details more widely even if it was just locally.

Until they brought up the sedan after the workers saw one turning, I had assumed it was a 4WD because that’s what most people who spend time in that area would have. Poor on my part to make that assumption because it led me to think that Cleo would have to have been in the car with the perpetrator, which in turn limited the timeframe the perpetrator had before needing to be away from other people (is under darkness). The sedan raises a different possibility to me - he could have put Cleo in the boot, which means he could have travelled a long way.

I still think it is more likely that he travelled locally for several reasons. The fact that it’s likely to be someone relatively local who knew the area and campsite. The fact that regardless of where Cleo was in the car I wouldn’t think the person would want to be too visible, be identifiable on camera anywhere or risk being around people. The fact that the person wouldn’t want to leave the car unattended for any point. But it seems a bit more likely to me now that there’s a possibility of travel.

Being able to put Cleo in the boot may be why the person chose a sedan to use even. More concealed.

I don’t like their chances of finding her, and at this stage I’d hope that if they had any information whatsoever they’d release it and get the public looking. Statistically speaking the chances of her being alive are slim, and I think the benefits of finding someone outweigh the possibility of scaring the perpetrator at this point. Obviously they have experts advising them, though.

A couple of thing's I picked up on last night in the interview

1. The sleeping bag may not have been zipped up, rather it was used like a quilt.

I put her to bed, I tucked her in, I made sure her sleeping bag was completely tucked under her mattress,” she said.

2. Did Cleo get out of bed and walk to where Ellie was sleeping for water? Did Ellie actually get up to get water?

The mother said about 1.30am, she asked Cleo to “get back into bed” after she had a sip of water.

“I put my head through to check on (baby sister) Isla and that was it,” she said.

The way the tent is set up I could interpret that Ellie was still laying in bed and just stuck her head around the divider to check on the baby.

It's possible Cleo may have went outside to get a drink by herself before waking Ellie and the abductor was lurking around outside. If Ellie didn't actually get up and the door closest to Cleo was the one she may of exited to get a drink, then Ellie may have not even noticed the tent was already partially unzipped from Cleo.

The interview last night was heartbreaking, I see 2 emotionally drained parent's...but I still got hinky vibes from it

A couple of thing's I picked up on last night in the interview

1. The sleeping bag may not have been zipped up, rather it was used like a quilt.

I put her to bed, I tucked her in, I made sure her sleeping bag was completely tucked under her mattress,” she said.

2. Did Cleo get out of bed and walk to where Ellie was sleeping for water? Did Ellie actually get up to get water?

The mother said about 1.30am, she asked Cleo to “get back into bed” after she had a sip of water.

“I put my head through to check on (baby sister) Isla and that was it,” she said.

The way the tent is set up I could interpret that Ellie was still laying in bed and just stuck her head around the divider to check on the baby.

It's possible Cleo may have went outside to get a drink by herself before waking Ellie and the abductor was lurking around outside. If Ellie didn't actually get up and the door closest to Cleo was the one she may of exited to get a drink, then Ellie may have not even noticed the tent was already partially unzipped from Cleo.

The interview last night was heartbreaking, I see 2 emotionally drained parent's...but I still got hinky vibes from it
Good pick ups. If Ellie didn’t actually get up then there could have been activity from Cleo or the perpetrator around the tent already that everyone is unaware of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Add a 1984 Holden Gemini to the screeching sound identification blind parade.

Was it a blue Gemini?

Ha! No it was silver with a "bad b*tch" sticker on it. I know, I know!

I was a careful driver but this screeching sound would happen regardless of how hard or soft I accelerated.

It was embarrassing and at the time I was living with a person who worked at Ford, who told me it would be the fan belt and for gods sake just go & replace it.

I took this person with me to the mechanic. Mechanic was a trusted family friend.

I know nothing about cars so perhaps there was more to it then just a timing belt?

I remember timing belt, $1000, something about the piston going through the engine and that this disaster could happen in 6 days, 6 weeks or 6 months but would eventually happen if not fixed.

Also a criminal mastermind wouldn’t be interested in abducting a child that age? Seems like some sicko or a disgruntled family member.
Well it depends. I’d certainly class Mr Cruel as a sophisticated criminal interested in children. Some child abductions involve meticulous planning and cunning, but some (ie Daniel Morcombe) don’t.

Driving around in a noisy old bomb and getting caught on CCTV on a main road (if this goes anywhere) is more likely the latter category.

Ha! No it was silver with a "bad b*tch" sticker on it. I know, I know!

I was a careful driver but this screeching sound would happen regardless of how hard or soft I accelerated.

It was embarrassing and at the time I was living with a person who worked at Ford, who told me it would be the fan belt and for gods sake just go & replace it.

I took this person with me to the mechanic. Mechanic was a trusted family friend.

I know nothing about cars so perhaps there was more to it then just a timing belt?

I remember timing belt, $1000, something about the piston going through the engine and that this disaster could happen in 6 days, 6 weeks or 6 months but would eventually happen if not fixed.

$1000 for a timing belt back then, they must surely have been taking the piss!! That's like 2k+ now.

Last edited:
I hope the distributed picture of the Ford is related but I tend to think not. It’s a very long way away, and in the opposite direction to what the information they recently gathered suggests. That of course can be explained by someone doubling back. Mainly it’s that distributing a picture with such a specific timeframe to a specific area/group seems too narrow to me at this stage. Not only would I have thought that they wouldn’t have such specific information about the car, if they did, I would have expected them to distribute the details more widely even if it was just locally.

Until they brought up the sedan after the workers saw one turning, I had assumed it was a 4WD because that’s what most people who spend time in that area would have. Poor on my part to make that assumption because it led me to think that Cleo would have to have been in the car with the perpetrator, which in turn limited the timeframe the perpetrator had before needing to be away from other people (is under darkness). The sedan raises a different possibility to me - he could have put Cleo in the boot, which means he could have travelled a long way.

I still think it is more likely that he travelled locally for several reasons. The fact that it’s likely to be someone relatively local who knew the area and campsite. The fact that regardless of where Cleo was in the car I wouldn’t think the person would want to be too visible, be identifiable on camera anywhere or risk being around people. The fact that the person wouldn’t want to leave the car unattended for any point. But it seems a bit more likely to me now that there’s a possibility of travel.

Being able to put Cleo in the boot may be why the person chose a sedan to use even. More concealed.

I don’t like their chances of finding her, and at this stage I’d hope that if they had any information whatsoever they’d release it and get the public looking. Statistically speaking the chances of her being alive are slim, and I think the benefits of finding someone outweigh the possibility of scaring the perpetrator at this point. Obviously they have experts advising them, though.
IIRC the first description of the vehicle was a 'passenger vehicle', which usually describes a mini van or similar. Turns out it was a sedan, big difference. The fact that it was an older car, does make it more visible meaning either it was a spare of the moment abduction or like most perps not everything was thought through. There's always a mistake.
Agree the vehicle must have been seen locally '...... According to 7 News, the footage is believed to show a sedan driving off about 3am on Saturday, which is within the time frame that Cleo may have been taken.' Which leads me to the question of what 'homes' could the perp have reached within that time frame??

IIRC the first description of the vehicle was a 'passenger vehicle', which usually describes a mini van or similar. Turns out it was a sedan, big difference. The fact that it was an older car, does make it more visible meaning either it was a spare of the moment abduction or like most perps not everything was thought through. There's always a mistake.
Agree the vehicle must have been seen locally '...... According to 7 News, the footage is believed to show a sedan driving off about 3am on Saturday, which is within the time frame that Cleo may have been taken.' Which leads me to the question of what 'homes' could the perp have reached within that time frame??
I have been hoping police are searching isolated properties with an hour or so. It seems a logical place to have started. But without anything concrete they are looking for a needle in a haystack.

Be interesting if it does turn out to be an older vehicle. I would have thought a significantly older vehicle would have been distinctive enough for the workers who saw it to notice, but obviously we don’t know what they’ve told police in its entirety.

ETA: I don’t think they’ll release specific details of the vehicle. It would encourage the person to torch the car.

Well if the footage is from the NWCF, and the car was headed towards Carnavon, the first homes etc seem to be close to the river, fairly close to the town.

That’s probably 45 mins, maybe a bit less if it’s speeding as is suggested.

I have been hoping police are searching isolated properties with an hour or so. It seems a logical place to have started. But without anything concrete they are looking for a needle in a haystack.

Be interesting if it does turn out to be an older vehicle. I would have thought a significantly older vehicle would have been distinctive enough for the workers who saw it to notice, but obviously we don’t know what they’ve told police in its entirety.

ETA: I don’t think they’ll release specific details of the vehicle. It would encourage the person to torch the car.
But it’s unlikely that one could have such a vehicle without others in the community already knowing about it. So if they torched it then it’s of limited relevance. Well, aside from forensics, but I’d think the higher priority is finding the perpetrator at this point as opposed to the vehicle.

Maybe they aren’t certain about the vehicle yet and do not want to focus attention on what may be a dead end. They wouldn’t want to report on the jalopy when it turns out to be a different vehicle.

But it’s unlikely that one could have such a vehicle without others in the community already knowing about it. So if they torched it then it’s of limited relevance.

Maybe they aren’t certain about the vehicle yet and do not want to focus attention on what may be a dead end. They wouldn’t want to report on the jalopy when it turns out to be a different vehicle.
Good point, surely if some one knows some one who owns a car like that they would contact police, as there wouldnt be too many around.

There are new reports of new CCTV footage from a house on the highway at about 3 am the car was seen on the road by people travelling for work. Channel 7 "Forensic police have collected security footage from a home on the side of a West Australian highway that may lead to clues in the case of Cleo Smith"

It seems this car is becoming more of interest. An old sedan on the road at that time of night would probably attract a second glance.

I haven't seen anything released by the police that gives an indication what type of car it is.

So there are two sightings of a car of interest? is that right?

Last edited:
But it’s unlikely that one could have such a vehicle without others in the community already knowing about it. So if they torched it then it’s of limited relevance. Well, aside from forensics, but I’d think the higher priority is finding the perpetrator at this point as opposed to the vehicle.

I am coming from the perspective that the vehicle is the path to the perpetrator and ownership alone is not going to be enough. I genuinely don’t think they have anything other than a potential vehicle at this stage. Definitely agree they wouldn’t want to release details until they’re sure, but unless it’s their only course of action to find it, I don’t think they will release the details.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back