List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Jarrod Brander [Off to GWS]

Remove this Banner Ad

Played on a wing though from memory. Beast of a FF which would've been amazing in our premiership years.

Was AA for us too (1997). And leading goalkicker (1998). Lost a gun, gained the draft pick to use on a gun (Daniel Kerr). And David Sierakowski.

Completely different to the Brander situation.

family-guy-stewie.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMHO it's insane that there wasn't more interest in the guy. He was a first round draft pick, KPP who didn't get much of a chance in his preferred position, but still showed some promise. Not suggesting he should have been traded for a first round pick, but GWS basically picked him up for free. Other than the salary cap considerations, he's much better value for money that some speculative late pick in the draft, or a rookie.

IMHO, clubs massively over-value the draft.

IMHO it's insane that there wasn't more interest in the guy. He was a first round draft pick, KPP who didn't get much of a chance in his preferred position, but still showed some promise. Not suggesting he should have been traded for a first round pick, but GWS basically picked him up for free. Other than the salary cap considerations, he's much better value for money that some speculative late pick in the draft, or a rookie.

He was not Jack Watts

It more sounds like clubs knew they could pick him up for free...

I found this quote particularly funny: “There are plenty, though, who think the Eagles in their current predicament, or several AFL clubs for that matter, could use the Bendigo Pioneers product now.”

Get him back for another half-interested run at it eh

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I found this quote particularly funny: “There are plenty, though, who think the Eagles in their current predicament, or several AFL clubs for that matter, could use the Bendigo Pioneers product now.”

Get him back for another half-interested run at it eh

Reckon he’d do a lot better if he had another crack at it with some age and confidence. Suspect he struggled mentally with the pressure of being an early pick, plus all the talk around how we should have taken Kelly etc.

I mean, he’s no worse than Josh Schache and he is still on an AFL list.

Should have been persisted with as a forward - the tall wingman stuff was never going to be a viable long term arrangement and he knew it.

Reckon he’d do a lot better if he had another crack at it with some age and confidence. Suspect he struggled mentally with the pressure of being an early pick, plus all the talk around how we should have taken Kelly etc.

Should have been persisted with as a forward - the tall wingman stuff was never going to be a viable long term arrangement and he knew it.
I agree about being played as a forward mate. We needed to just play him as a forward in the wafl until he was ready to take over from anyone who wasn’t performing in the AFL side or retired (Kennedy). I know a lot of people don’t think he had the correct mindset of attacking the play, but I feel like it didn’t help that we tried to turn into something he isn’t.

Fair call. Like he said in the post, the fact he was competing against JK, JD, and Oscar didn’t help his forward position aspirations. But I seem to remember him struggling big time at GWS too. Might just be a late bloomer/confidence issue. A big stint in the reserves might be been just the thing he needed.

The fact that he eventually found his way back onto the wing at GWS is not a ringing endorsement of his forward aspirations.

The fact that he was delisted by GWS after one season isn't a ringing endorsement of his foozball aspirations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back