AFLW AFLW Season 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

still have to do 2 weeks quarantine if double vaxxed? :O

When QLD hits 70% fully vaccinated their is still quarantine. At 80% you don’t have to quarantine coming from interstate if you are fully vaccinated. 90% is when those from overseas won’t have to quarantine coming to QLD if they have had both shots.

When QLD hits 70% fully vaccinated their is still quarantine. At 80% you don’t have to quarantine coming from interstate if you are fully vaccinated. 90% is when those from overseas won’t have to quarantine coming to QLD if they have had both shots.
Ah, thats where I'm getting confused. Didn't realize QLD wasn't at 70% already. But yeah, 80% is the key.

Looks like the Levi sisters have moved to Sydney to chase their rugby dream. Bit of a shame because it probably means they're less likely to play for us in the future and it's always disappointing when you lose talented locals. They are obviously both supreme athletes that multiple codes want and although Maddi was raw in her first year, I really felt she could become a dominant force in the AFLW one day due to her athleticism if she worked on her game. However, the one that really hurts is Teagan because we used a top 10 pick on her this year and most people considered her to have the higher potential of the two. Not to mention the fact that she never even got the chance to play a single AFLW match for us.

I wish the sisters well but I'd be lying if I said I wanted them them to succeed so much that they never end up coming back to us. Hopefully we can get them both back after next year's Commonwealth Games/Rugby World Cup.

Looks like the Levi sisters have moved to Sydney to chase their rugby dream. Bit of a shame because it probably means they're less likely to play for us in the future and it's always disappointing when you lose talented locals. They are obviously both supreme athletes that multiple codes want and although Maddi was raw in her first year, I really felt she could become a dominant force in the AFLW one day due to her athleticism if she worked on her game. However, the one that really hurts is Teagan because we used a top 10 pick on her this year and most people considered her to have the higher potential of the two. Not to mention the fact that she never even got the chance to play a single AFLW match for us.

I wish the sisters well but I'd be lying if I said I wanted them them to succeed so much that they never end up coming back to us. Hopefully we can get them both back after next year's Commonwealth Games/Rugby World Cup.
Yeah the Levi girls were my favourites. I’m absolutely guttered about what has happened

but hopefully Kalinda Howarth has been tearing up the training track?
Seems like she was back out on the park last night. Maybe for the first time in a while, I dunno.

AFLW Coaching Panel

Cameron Joyce
– AFLW Head Coach

Sam Iles – AFLW Assistant Coach – Midfield

Kieran Daley – AFLW Assistant Coach – Forwards

Jarrod Wells – AFLW Assistant Coach – Defenders

Matt Bedford – AFLW Development Coach/Runner

Brooks Mustey – AFLW Development/Bench Coach

AFLW Coaching Panel

Cameron Joyce
– AFLW Head Coach

Sam Iles – AFLW Assistant Coach – Midfield

Kieran Daley – AFLW Assistant Coach – Forwards

Jarrod Wells – AFLW Assistant Coach – Defenders

Matt Bedford – AFLW Development Coach/Runner

Brooks Mustey – AFLW Development/Bench Coach

Kieran Daley!! They can not be serious

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big shoutout to the Levi sisters who played part in the Australian women's 7s Dubai Championship yesterday:

NOJM0qG.jpg

Always nice to see Gold Coasters performing well on the world stage. I believe Maddi scored three tries throughout the tournament and Teagan mostly played off the bench. Congrats girls and hopefully they can achieve all their rugby dreams in the near future so they can come back to our AFLW team soon!

Big shoutout to the Levi sisters who played part in the Australian women's 7s Dubai Championship yesterday:

NOJM0qG.jpg

Always nice to see Gold Coasters performing well on the world stage. I believe Maddi scored three tries throughout the tournament and Teagan mostly played off the bench. Congrats girls and hopefully they can achieve all their rugby dreams in the near future so they can come back to our AFLW team soon!
I don't want to sound pessimistic but after Commonwealth games in 2022 you got Olympic games in 2024.

I don't want to sound pessimistic but after Commonwealth games in 2022 you got Olympic games in 2024.
I think you have to look at the Rugby 7s calendar of major events of the next few years to get a good idea of what might happen:

Nov 2021-May 2022 - 7s World Series
Jul 2022 - 7s Commonwealth Games
Sep 2022 - 7s World Cup

Nov 2022-May 2023 - 7s World Series

Nov 2023-May 2024 - 7s World Series
Aug 2024 - Paris Olympics

As you can see, the next 12 months is eventful for the Rugby 7s teams but beyond that it's just the World Series for the next two years before the Olympics rolls around, which is just under three years from now. Maddi has already competed in the Olympics so that desire shouldn't burn as bright as it may for Teagan but do the sisters really want to commit to a further two years of the World Series when they're already competing in that competition this year? I'm sure they would both love to compete in the Comm Games as well as the World Cup but it's hard to say what they might do beyond that. In an ideal world for us, they would both compete in the World Series, Comm Games and World Cup over the next 12 months and then come back to us for at least the 2023 AFLW season.

A lot has been made of our two top picks from this year in Charlie Rowbottom and Teagan Levi but I thought it would be interesting to learn more about another one of our draftees Giselle Davies. A local Gold Coaster who grew up playing touch football and netball, she began playing football when her best friend (and future Suns teammate) Annise Bradfield convinced her to begin playing for the Southport Sharks. The pair played together at the Sharks and later Bond University as well as attending Southport High School where they were taught by another future Suns teammate Jamie Stanton. Giselle also happens to come from a family of sportspeople - her father was a professional rugby player for Wales and her mother was a royal ballet dancer. She's a tall defender and perhaps one day she'll overtake Lauren Ahrens in our backline. Best of luck to her!

We have matches against St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs for the first time. After two away games, we finally 'host' GWS although it will be in Mackay. We play Carlton in Melbourne for the first time and play Melbourne in Melbourne for the first time too. A pretty good fixture when we manage to avoid most of last season's finalists except for Brisbane who we are always going to play and Melbourne who we put up a good fight against Round 1 2021.

PROS
* Game in Mackay
* Not having to face GWS at Blacktown
* Matches at Metricon despite the cricket
* Only scheduled to face 2 finalists from 2021
* Playing Brisbane (Premiers) at home not away
* 3 matches in Melbourne (only 1 match played in Victoria before)
* First AFLW match at Southport
* No double up road trips (we were hammered the last few years with this)

CONS-
* Another trip to Perth to play West Coast. We have played the Eagles every season and every match it has been in Perth.
* No FTA matches
* Most matches Sunday twilight

Last edited:
Three years in and suns wont still have played the pies lol
I'm not complaining. They are going places in Women's footy. I want to be avoiding them! In all seriousness though, I think we might play you in Round 10. I reckon it will be a magic round concept with all games at the one venue (Marvel Stadium?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back