Player Watch #35: Charlie Lazzaro - contract extension until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting player, who we need to see a bit more of to work out where he best fits.

I sense many of us can’t quite squeeze him to our best 22 at the moment, which says a lot about the young talent we’ve got coming through.

For me, he is competing with Mahoney as the small, pressure forward option with perhaps a few more tricks, or he’s Jed Anderson midfield depth with a bit more speed but not quite quite the physicality.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We have a long list of HFFs. Noble said Lazzaro is too small to play mid. Could he take Dumonts spot as defensive wing. Lazzaro may not be up to the work required yet but he could be part of an interchange until he is.We need someone with good speed playing there.

We have a long list of HFFs. Noble said Lazzaro is too small to play mid. Could he take Dumonts spot as defensive wing. Lazzaro may not be up to the work required yet but he could be part of an interchange until he is.We need someone with good speed playing there.
Id love his run of HB.
Could end up playing a multi tasked role where he does many jobs coming off the interchange.

I said it before, you just know this kid is going to give it his all to make it .

Watching the news last night there were players from multiple clubs training together. I think I saw Charlie in the highlights.

Yep, saw him too. Looks sharp. Ben McKay was in that group too.

Wing? HB? Half-forward? Inside mid?

I'd love to see him transition into Hall's role but I see no reason why he couldn't be in the guts. He's explosive, has good skills, and has shown he can rack the pill up at VFL level. He'll have to prove he's better than Powell, Phillips, and the other million blokes around his age that we'll have rotating through there, but he has the tools to do it. A lot of people sleeping on this guy's attributes.

I'd love to see him transition into Hall's role but I see no reason why he couldn't be in the guts. He's explosive, has good skills, and has shown he can rack the pill up at VFL level. He'll have to prove he's better than Powell, Phillips, and the other million blokes around his age that we'll have rotating through there, but he has the tools to do it. A lot of people sleeping on this guy's attributes.
I do like the hb idea with his speed, strength and neat skills, but he isn’t the most penetrating kick though.

His natural position seems to be inside mid that can collect and link up at will. His vfl games as a mid were superb.

Hard running two way wingman (like Langdon) with the agility to win his own ball and hurt the opposition when he has it.
Definitely an avenue to get more afl level games next year.
Rebounding HBF/Wing for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like a guy whose positivity will be infectious around the club, wouldn’t put it past him to have a media career when he retires either

Type of guy that always has a smile on his face - even after a session of 400s

Hope he has a 10 year career

admittenly they all talk a good game ( when was the lastime if ever you heard a media release such as, iam just gonna put in the minimal and see how i go??) so iam not taking to much attention to whats reported, but watching his application and also good running times in the off field shows more than any media release.

admittenly they all talk a good game ( when was the lastime if ever you heard a media release such as, iam just gonna put in the minimal and see how i go??) so iam not taking to much attention to whats reported, but watching his application and also good running times in the off field shows more than any media release.
I liked the way he talked about embracing new players and seeking any possible improvement no matter how small, that stuff sets good examples

rooboy335 posted this spot on take on Charlie in the training thread. Deserved to be posted to his thread too for posterity.

Lazzaro - The only negative (if you can even call it a negative) with lizard is his height. Everything else about him is at least above average. His speed, kicking, cleanliness are his standout attributes. Couple that with his positive aura and attitude, you almost can't help but barrack for him personally to make it. I hope he can somehow find a way to cement a spot in the team in the coming seasons.

Charlie has put in a lot of work in the offseason to push himself beyond where the 'normal' development for a 2nd year player is.
Really hope the coaches can see it and he plays regular 22 footy next year.
Not sure where his position will be though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back