Toast WELCOME BACK: Grant Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

For better or worse - and you could argue both credibly - this is what we're getting with GT involved again:

(Quote from p59-60 of the intriguing Michael Warner book about the backroom machinations at AFL, "The Boys' Club")

Out of courtesy, Thomas asked the club to arrange for Demetriou to visit St Kilda’s Moorabbin headquarters to outline their post-Blight strategy.

The meeting was a disaster.

‘Demetriou adored Blighty and we invited him down to let him know what we were doing and why we were doing it,’ Thomas said. ‘We told him, “We’re going for draft choices, we’re picking young kids and we’re going to build from the bottom. We need to endure some short-term pain to achieve long-term gain. It’s never been done right at St Kilda. We need to be disciplined and methodical and engage the AFL and show transparency.” We sold him the vision that we had put in place for the club.

‘Demetriou was just sitting there and then he leant back and scoffed, and I said, “What are you laughing about?”’ Thomas continued. ‘And he said, “I’ve heard all this before.” And I just said to him, “Who the flying * do you think you are? We invite you to come down here, out of decency, to let you know what our plans are. You are nothing but a ******* administrator for our game – get that straight. You’ve come into our home and we’re telling you how we are going to run things here. How dare you ******* undermine what we are saying.”

‘He said, “I don’t have to be spoken to like this,” and I said, “You’re dead right – you don’t. Stand up and * off.”

‘He stood up and left and I looked at [president] Rod Butterss who was as white as a ghost, [chief executive] Brian Waldron had his eyes hanging out, and they said, “Thommo, what have you done?” And I said, “What I’ve done is draw a line in the sand for the St Kilda Football Club – we do not get talked about like that ever again.”'

None of this will be news to anyone and certainly isn't a big scoop, Thomas is proud of the episode - and again you could say fair enough too - but just to be clear, it'll be a very different relationship than now when Finnis and Lethlean are running things themselves at St Kilda and we'll have to prepare for that.

For better or worse - and you could argue both credibly - this is what we're getting with GT involved again:

(Quote from p59-60 of the intriguing Michael Warner book about the backroom machinations at AFL, "The Boys' Club")

Out of courtesy, Thomas asked the club to arrange for Demetriou to visit St Kilda’s Moorabbin headquarters to outline their post-Blight strategy.

‘Demetriou adored Blighty and we invited him down to let him know what we were doing and why we were doing it,’ Thomas said. ‘We told him, “We’re going for draft choices, we’re picking young kids and we’re going to build from the bottom. We need to endure some short-term pain to achieve long-term gain. It’s never been done right at St Kilda. We need to be disciplined and methodical and engage the AFL and show transparency.” We sold him the vision that we had put in place for the club.

‘Demetriou was just sitting there and then he leant back and scoffed, and I said, “What are you laughing about?”’ Thomas continued. ‘And he said, “I’ve heard all this before.” And I just said to him, “Who the flying fu** do you think you are? We invite you to come down here, out of decency, to let you know what our plans are. You are nothing but a ******* administrator for our game – get that straight. You’ve come into our home and we’re telling you how we are going to run things here. How dare you ******* undermine what we are saying.”

‘He said, “I don’t have to be spoken to like this,” and I said, “You’re dead right – you don’t. Stand up and fu** off.”

‘He stood up and left and I looked at [president] Rod Butterss who was as white as a ghost, [chief executive] Brian Waldron had his eyes hanging out, and they said, “Thommo, what have you done?” And I said, “What I’ve done is draw a line in the sand for the St Kilda Football Club – we do not get talked about like that ever again.”'

None of this will be news to anyone and certainly isn't a big scoop, Thomas is proud of the episode - and again you could say fair enough too - but just to be clear, it'll be a very different relationship than now when Finnis and Lethlean are running things themselves at St Kilda and we'll have to prepare for that.
Bring it on. That’s the kind of spine we need.
Demetriou is a crook, I’m not sure Gil deserves the same treatment, but still.

‘Demetriou was just sitting there and then he leant back and scoffed, and I said, “What are you laughing about?”’ Thomas continued. ‘And he said, “I’ve heard all this before.” And I just said to him, “Who the flying fu** do you think you are? We invite you to come down here, out of decency, to let you know what our plans are. You are nothing but a ******* administrator for our game – get that straight. You’ve come into our home and we’re telling you how we are going to run things here. How dare you ******* undermine what we are saying.”

‘He said, “I don’t have to be spoken to like this,” and I said, “You’re dead right – you don’t. Stand up and fu** off.”

That's pretty awesome tbh

Bring it on. That’s the kind of spine we need.
Demetriou is a crook, I’m not sure Gil deserves the same treatment, but still.
That's pretty awesome tbh
Well yes, it is, but the AFL have long memories and even the strongest clubs have found out the consequences of taking them on. Not saying I'm scared of them, but we are vulnerable, especially when talk of a Tasmanian team is increasing. I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't relocate us but they might threaten to and would you call their bluff?

Here's another thing to ponder. I'd say it's quite likely that Matt Finnis's next move would be to AFL house, and would be a great fit for CEO. He has the experience and his community focus is just what the AFL is crying out for. I could see him getting then nod if not directly after Gil, then probably after his successor. I'd prefer for his time with us to end amicably, not in some bitter power struggle that might leave him with a thirst for a revenge or at least a less charitable view of the Saints or the people who took over his position.

The best case scenario is that Gil annoints Matt personally in the next year or two and he moves of his own accord, leaving our CEO chair free for the best available candidate, be that Lethlean, Thomas, or a star executive from another club. No blood, no revenge, good times.

Lenny Hayes attack on the ball at the 2 minute mark is just awesome, so is Milney, Luke Ball had it on a string, we could kick goals from outside 50. I looked up at the stats for this game and only Cain Ackland didn't lay a tackle, everyone else on the list laid at least 1. How we didn't win a flag with this group is beyond me.

Lenny Hayes attack on the ball at the 2 minute mark is just awesome, so is Milney, Luke Ball had it on a string, we could kick goals from outside 50. I looked up at the stats for this game and only Cain Ackland didn't lay a tackle, everyone else on the list laid at least 1. How we didn't win a flag with this group is beyond me.

That was so nice to watch

The best Saints team I've witnessed. It's a scary thought that we'll probably have to beat that squad to even get close to a premiership! Unless we do a Bradbury and the other contenders fall over towards the end of the season. I'll take anything.

Go to 18:35 for a glimpse of the future!

The best Saints team I've witnessed. It's a scary thought that we'll probably have to beat that squad to even get close to a premiership! Unless we do a Bradbury and the other contenders fall over towards the end of the season. I'll take anything.
On paper St Kilda 2005 was probably the best list we've had in my time. Such a great balance of vets, prime guns, young up and comers and GOP depth. Really annoying that it was all for naught.

Demetriou was / is the very definition of a "Spiv". Good on GT for calling him out and telling him to f*** off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Demetriou was / is the very definition of a "Spiv". Good on GT for calling him out and telling him to f*** off.
100% about the only person that has stuck up for the club and not grab his ankles when headquarters come knocking

Demetriou nothing but a dog

On paper St Kilda 2005 was probably the best list we've had in my time. Such a great balance of vets, prime guns, young up and comers and GOP depth. Really annoying that it was all for naught.

Good to see Grant Thomas coming back just in time to blow our next golden opportunity.

*ducks*

Good to see Grant Thomas coming back just in time to blow our next golden opportunity.

*ducks*

GT actually built his own list. Before him we had made the 97 grand final only to start to free fall. He managed to build a list that Lyon inherited and wasn't added to in any significant way once he left. Once GTs generation of stars went we had nothing coming up underneath and so find ourselves where we are with a list made out of the bins of other sides.

GT actually built his own list. Before him we had made the 97 grand final only to start to free fall. He managed to build a list that Lyon inherited and wasn't added to in any significant way once he left. Once GTs generation of stars went we had nothing coming up underneath and so find ourselves where we are with a list made out of the bins of other sides.

GT built a list on the back of a bucketload of early picks (including priority picks when the AFL was semi-serious about an equal competition). It can also be argued that GT wrecked the chances of that list winning multiple flags after overuling the Judd/Ball decision and a scant regard to injury prevention (like employing Starcevich who totally stuffed up one preseason).

The list that Lyon inherited was nowhere near as talented as the one GT had IMO. We had lost some fantastic players to retirement or injury and thanks to GT's theory of paying 80% of the cap to 'his boys', couldn't afford to replace them with any thing but role players.

Lyon may have had prime career Roo, Lenny, etc but the bottom 6 of that team were nowhere near the quality of what GT had at his disposal.

IMO of course.

GT built a list on the back of a bucketload of early picks (including priority picks when the AFL was semi-serious about an equal competition). It can also be argued that GT wrecked the chances of that list winning multiple flags after overuling the Judd/Ball decision and a scant regard to injury prevention (like employing Starcevich who totally stuffed up one preseason).

The list that Lyon inherited was nowhere near as talented as the one GT had IMO. We had lost some fantastic players to retirement or injury and thanks to GT's theory of paying 80% of the cap to 'his boys', couldn't afford to replace them with any thing but role players.

Lyon may have had prime career Roo, Lenny, etc but the bottom 6 of that team were nowhere near the quality of what GT had at his disposal.

IMO of course.

GT had too many fingers in the pies. it was unfortunate that the board just let him do what he wante. therby injuries were mounting. scant regard to ruckmen, injuries, and not being honest to the supporters. S . Hammill 2 weeks.

IMO of course.

One of the first things that happened post Thomas was the appointment of Matthew Drain.
Saints enjoyed an amazing injury run in 2009, luckily, since there was no depth to speak of.

One of the first things that happened post Thomas was the appointment of Matthew Drain.
Saints enjoyed an amazing injury run in 2009, luckily, since there was no depth to speak of.

Dave Misson was the fitness guru. Lyon got him from the Swans (has was also the Aus Cricket team physio too for a long while).

Matthew Drain was the footy manager.

GT had too many fingers in the pies. it was unfortunate that the board just let him do what he wante. therby injuries were mounting. scant regard to ruckmen, injuries, and not being honest to the supporters. S . Hammill 2 weeks.
Too harsh on Thomas Imo, some of this is exaggerated rumours about how much control he had. Also in regards to ruckman he rated good ones and thought bad ones were a waste of space. Interestingly stats now show just what a useless stat hit outs truly are.

As to the board they had no problem conspiring with the drunken drug addicted out of control president to decide to sack Thomas no matter where we finished that year. I‘d say the board failed miserably because of what they allowed rod butters to get away with. You can find numerous articles on what Danny Frawley and other st Kilda players thought about butters. Interestingly Thomas still has a lot of support from many of the players he coached.

IMO of course.

It is widely recognised that GT was not a great tactical coach but was very good at inspiring the players. putting that aside, I still believe that if GT hadn't let his ego get in the way of his coaching by trying to micromanage the club we would have at least two additional flags today. What he left as a legacy was no additional flags, a broken relationship with Tasmania, that the Hawks exploited to win three flags, and allowing the next administration an opportunity to take over bringing the the dark days of a move away from Moorabin and the installation of the worst recruitment team in living memory. Greatness is built on legacy, and I am not convinced that GT can be proud of what he left behind after the time when he was effectively in control of thye club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back