Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
That's a great question, I assume you mean in the top 10 of the National Draft twice (not PSD etc)? I can't think of anyone, its so rare to be drafted twice, Luke Ball was a high profile one.

I can't think of the answer without checking the research room
Yep National draft, the player in question is from WA

Yep National draft, the player in question is from WA
Best I can do is Richard Cousins, but he was from SA

Drafted by North Melbourne with pick #9 in 1982
Drafted by Western Bulldogs with pick #6 in 1986

dosser

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Because I saw some posts in another thread talking about Selinas (which is where I once saw Dragon play!) and it is a matter of time before those posts are moved by a mod, it triggered a little bit of Swans history about which maybe a lot of posters here may not be aware.
Back in the Jurassic period when I was playing footy in the SFL, one night after training the club handed around some forms to all of the players and staff to sign. There were two forms; the first was an application for membership of the South Melbourne Football Club which, when I was advised that the membership fee was already covered, I signed because why not? Once that was signed we were then asked to sign a voting form to vote for South Melbourne to be relocated to Sydney. This was apparently replicated at every club in the SFL. Nothing to see here folks, move along...
Anyway, this meant that the odds were always stacked against South remaining in Melbourne, but as a then Sydneysider it would be great to have our own team up there so it didn't worry me at all.
So, why was I triggered by the talk of Selinas? Well, when I received my Swans membership, I also received a keyring medallion for membership of the Maroubra Seals. Every new Swans member now had free membership of the Seals - how good was that for a young fella?!? Swans and Seals - life was good.

Because I saw some posts in another thread talking about Selinas (which is where I once saw Dragon play!) and it is a matter of time before those posts are moved by a mod, it triggered a little bit of Swans history about which maybe a lot of posters here may not be aware.
Back in the Jurassic period when I was playing footy in the SFL, one night after training the club handed around some forms to all of the players and staff to sign. There were two forms; the first was an application for membership of the South Melbourne Football Club which, when I was advised that the membership fee was already covered, I signed because why not? Once that was signed we were then asked to sign a voting form to vote for South Melbourne to be relocated to Sydney. This was apparently replicated at every club in the SFL. Nothing to see here folks, move along...
Anyway, this meant that the odds were always stacked against South remaining in Melbourne, but as a then Sydneysider it would be great to have our own team up there so it didn't worry me at all.
So, why was I triggered by the talk of Selinas? Well, when I received my Swans membership, I also received a keyring medallion for membership of the Maroubra Seals. Every new Swans member now had free membership of the Seals - how good was that for a young fella?!? Swans and Seals - life was good.

Way to trigger me.

The level of abject filth the white collar crims like Adolph Aylett, Murdoch and the Pratts went to was unbelievable.

I truly detest Quade and Browning as well.

I was just watching videos of the Presets' Sound Relief gig on the SCG (just saying "the Presets" makes me feel old.) My first reaction was wild discomfort at seeing thousands of sweaty drunk/high people dancing on our hallowed turf! Can't stand the ground for footy spectacle but I am fiercely protective of it as our home deck and I even - dare I say it - miss it. Hopefully we've mastered playing on it by our return next year!

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
he was just a fantastic player

yeah, but it was more kelly the man, too ... there was no fuss about him, no strut or swagger, but he was entitled to have a bit because he was a genuine superstar
one of the absolute best players in the league for a sustained period of years, but genuinely humble, team-oriented, an intelligent footballer, but hard and fearless ... and no sh1t in his game at all ... a lot of the best had an element of that, but not kelly
he carried the worst of that team until it evolved to become a grand final team
kelly always my no1
LRT arguably No2
goodes probly no3
fortunately, we've had a lot of great swans

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
yeah, but it was more kelly the man, too ... there was no fuss about him, no strut or swagger, but he was entitled to have a bit because he was a genuine superstar
one of the absolute best players in the league for a sustained period of years, but genuinely humble, team-oriented, an intelligent footballer, but hard and fearless ... and no sh1t in his game at all ... a lot of the best had an element of that, but not kelly
he carried the worst of that team until it evolved to become a grand final team
kelly always my no1
LRT arguably No2
goodes probly no3
fortunately, we've had a lot of great swans
had a chat to him once at a function was great to talk to, he along with Josh Kennedy, Alex Johnson and Greg Williams are the best swans players I've met.

Gimmeafree

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
No other team, no other sport
Saw some old footage of stuey maxfield the other day. Every time he’d get to the corner of the boundary line and 50m arc in front of the members he‘d put it on the boot and more often than not he’d kick it. go for goal stuey we’d shout every time he got near it. Memories.

Crust

All Australian
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SUANFC
did somebody say encore?

Those bursts out of the centre reminded me of The Chad earlier this year.
When he was Swans coach, my footy club had a dinner and Rodney Eade and Mickey O came along. I asked Rocket how Kelly compared to all the players he had played with and against, and coached for and against.
Rocket said Kelly was just, but only just, behind Matthews as the best player he'd ever seen.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Ah but, if we're guaranteed a flag every ten years, is it truly a reward/achievement/worth it?
The idea of competing is to win. Your comment is the reason we have only won thre in the 82 years. Nothing is guaranteed. Everything has to be won. Hard won. You want to win. You have to have the Hawthorn attitude. We are always premiers. We must adopt the hatred of losing. The attitude that we win anywhere, anytime. Dynasties are built on a, supreme belief, conviction if you will, that we are the best side on the park every week. A supreme belief and the ability to deliver. Not just on a regular basis but every week. When this team loses it is personal. It is an affront. Retribution needs to be carried out. Beware the wounded animal.

If we are to build a dynasty we need to believe. We need to embrace the KILLER INSTINCT. We need to be on board with the players. We need to go along for the ride and taste glory, not once, not twice but as many times as the opportunity presents.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back