A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Tbf, it didnt need to. Who gives a fu**?

I give a *. Because the more people come out and normalise homosexuality within male sporting clubs, the more kids like me will feel safe to continue sport into adulthood. The "who gives a *" bullshit generally comes from people who are uncomfortable discussing homosexuality, which is exactly why Carvallo's announcement is so important.

I remember going from junior sport into adult sport. I wasn't amazing, but I could've/should've played top grade hockey, and I wouldn't have been miles off first grade cricket - but the amount of homophobic slurs you'd hear made it an unsafe space for a kid becoming an adult who doesn't understand his own sexuality yet.

When celebrating does he/she hu
I give a fu**. Because the more people come out and normalise homosexuality within male sporting clubs, the more kids like me will feel safe to continue sport into adulthood. The "who gives a fu**" bullshit generally comes from people who are uncomfortable discussing homosexuality, which is exactly why Carvallo's announcement is so important.

I remember going from junior sport into adult sport. I wasn't amazing, but I could've/should've played top grade hockey, and I wouldn't have been miles off first grade cricket - but the amount of homophobic slurs you'd hear made it an unsafe space for a kid becoming an adult who doesn't understand his own sexuality yet.
I understand it must have been tough for your type growing up. I mean for me growing up as kid in the 90's and 2000's, making homophobic jokes was considered to be kind of the 'norm'. I mean I've always been open to any type of people I have encountered in life and going to university they always I guess reinforced that message about equality.

I guess in a way what Carvallo did, is now becoming world wide attention. Teams like: juventus, Arsenal, Liverpool, Barcelona are in support of him and the gay community. I think what he did yesterday, with not many or ever gay players who have come out the past and said it to a global media. It's a landmark day and the message is spreading fast like wildfire.

We’ve done race might as well do sexuality, players bend over after taking the knee.
Disgusting, grow up. From interactions with you elsewhere you're either very young or not all there.

Well I was reading the comments on the tweet posted and all are positive toward the young man. I haven't read the Optus sports posts I may have jumped the gun with my post above.

My point being do people really need to announce they are coming out anymore? The more virtual signalling and positive comments it attracts of course its going to attract trolls and negative ones like anything else?
You've said it twice now. You know it's virtue signalling not virtual signalling, right?

Great stuff by Cavallo, must be an enormous weight off his shoulders. Hopefully this becomes the norm soon and nobody feels the need who is gay in any sport to hide their sexuality or in any facet of life for that matter.

Times are changing, think of attitudes 20/30 years ago and it's a world apart from now.

No doubt from the crowd there will be idiots saying stuff but surely we've come far enough that no player would sledge him!

Agreed, I don't see any player using it as a sledge. Unfortunately there will always be a few drunken idiots in the crowd that are likely going to say stuff but they will also be in the vast minority and will be called out for it.

I give a fu**. Because the more people come out and normalise homosexuality within male sporting clubs, the more kids like me will feel safe to continue sport into adulthood. The "who gives a fu**" bullshit generally comes from people who are uncomfortable discussing homosexuality, which is exactly why Carvallo's announcement is so important.

I got tackled by my own team mate who then called me a f*ggot and never went back to playing team sports again once that season was over (and didn't even watch anything for about ten years).

Good on Josh, he's also very cute, I hope he gets transferred to Sydney so I can daydream about having a shot.

I got tackled by my own team mate who then called me a f*ggot and never went back to playing team sports again once that season was over (and didn't even watch anything for about ten years).

Good on Josh, he's also very cute, I hope he gets transferred to Sydney so I can daydream about having a shot.
Sorry to hear about your experience.

I must admit he looks handsome but im a heterosexual.

So sorry you had to experience that Mate.

As a junior and teenage player of footy/basketball and association football, I copped a bit of sledging (and sent some back) on the field or court, it was all mainly juvenile crap about Mums or Sisters etc, but nothing that couldn't be taken back, and we all shock hands afterwards..

As an association by this debate, I also feel dreadfully sorry transgender athletes, not just in the sporting community but generally speaking the Trans community are still one of the most unfairly maligned and often bullied members of our community.

Anyhow good to see you back in the sports and footy community, thanks for having the courage to share your story mate.

I hope all people that are homo on this thread, didn't take my comment seriously. To be honest I copied that quote off a SkySport post on social media and thought it would be a bit of a laugh at the time.

But it wasn't. So hope there is no hard feelings as I was involved in a 1 night stand with a man once. I'm not going to do go down that path again. I respect things like the mardi gras and promoting of same sex relationships.

I hope all people that are homo on this thread, didn't take my comment seriously. To be honest I copied that quote off a SkySport post on social media and thought it would be a bit of a laugh at the time.

But it wasn't. So hope there is no hard feelings as I was involved in a 1 night stand with a man once. I'm not going to do go down that path again. I respect things like the mardi gras and promoting of same sex relationships.

You lose any kind of credibility with the rest of your so called backpedalling by calling the Queer posters here 'Homos' (or words to that effect)

You need more education on the subject, homo is still a hurtful and damaging insult to many in the LBGT community (from what I have been told)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You only need to jump onto any overseas player who expressed their support (many, many household names) and read the comments to understand it's not just a small minority that still thinks backwards regarding the topic.

CCM Twitter got "hacked". They have deleted the tweet but plenty of screenshots were taken.

256366089_4118627664908217_740100063561654667_n.jpg

The A-League Men is seeking to expand to 14 teams within the next two years and is hopeful the equity sale will help attract potential new owners with the financial clout to invest heavily into the sport.

“We have a huge opportunity ahead of us and we want the right partners to develop that with us. Expansion is a part of that,” Townsend said. “Our timelines of expansion, we have made public before, is on the short to medium term agenda.”

I hope they are already looking at potential bids, two year seems a little to rushed don't want the some problems they encountered with WU ands Macarthur. hopefully this time they will actually do some research on potential markets.

Last edited:
The A-League Men is seeking to expand to 14 teams within the next two years and is hopeful the equity sale will help attract potential new owners with the financial clout to invest heavily into the sport.

“We have a huge opportunity ahead of us and we want the right partners to develop that with us. Expansion is a part of that,” Townsend said. “Our timelines of expansion, we have made public before, is on the short to medium term agenda.”

I hope they are already looking at potential bids, two year seems a little to rushed don't want the some problems they encountered with WU ands Macarthur. hopefully this time they will actually do some research on potential markets.
I remember a lot of talk around the last time that both Canberra and Brisbane Lions were given a heads up they would be at the forefront if they wanted it. So maybe plenty of time.
Wanderers did it in less.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back