Cricket things that annoy you

Remove this Banner Ad

This s**t.

The players need to be told to stop doing this crap; support your mate, but they aren't selectors, and their opinions aren't relevant.

This sh*t.

The players need to be told to stop doing this crap; support your mate, but they aren't selectors, and their opinions aren't relevant.
Warner's demise was always going to be quick> With no footwork he's been reliant on his eye and reflexes all his career and when they start go as it looks like they might have done, he's f***ed.

Warner's demise was always going to be quick> With no footwork he's been reliant on his eye and reflexes all his career and when they start go as it looks like they might have done, he's f***ed.

Most likely - but regardless of the player in question, I'm sick of other players lobbying for guys to be kept in the team, when they are in horrendous form and are costing us matches.

Here's the news report the next day...

I don't want to hear about how todays game is just hit and giggle when s**t like this was being done in a Test match.

Can add this to Greg Chappell picking and choosing which test tours he went on and Lillee and Marsh betting against their own side.

This sh*t.

It's fairly generic. Just there to fill some space. Nothing in it at all.

This sh*t.

“He’s got a dozen years of credits in the bank “

Oh well then pat let’s just keep him in forever.

This has probably been noted elsewhere in the thread but it shits me these days that if something major hasn’t happened in the first 20 overs and the pitch isn’t taking turn, it’s like everyone including the commentators just goes into a holding pattern waiting for reverse swing to weave a Gandalf like spell and break the game open. Growing up and still now, I was always taught that the ball swings with the seam when it’s new, towards the rough side after 15-20 overs if you have a good enough action to get it, and reverse later on. It seems as though the art of proper swing when the ball is in the middle overs just gets forgotten

This has probably been noted elsewhere in the thread but it shits me these days that if something major hasn’t happened in the first 20 overs and the pitch isn’t taking turn, it’s like everyone including the commentators just goes into a holding pattern waiting for reverse swing to weave a Gandalf like spell and break the game open. Growing up and still now, I was always taught that the ball swings with the seam when it’s new, towards the rough side after 15-20 overs if you have a good enough action to get it, and reverse later on. It seems as though the art of proper swing when the ball is in the middle overs just gets forgotten
******* yeeeesss! It kills me, just kills me, how poorly swing bowling is understood.

I think no small part of the problem is that the good players these days don't have to play with s**t cricket balls before they're at 1st class level as sixteen and eighteen year olds. We promote bowlers up through the grades, getting them into the ones well before they can ever develop the kind of knowledge or skill required to be capable of knowing how to revive a used cricket ball. Even England and James Anderson bitch like an absolute pork chop at the umpire to get the ball replaced if it's stopped conventionally swinging; he cannot get the old ball to go conventional, it's either new ball or reverse or it's dead.

You don't learn this s**t until you're in your late 20's, and that's if you're extremely quick and have dedicated your time towards getting it to go. You're either a test or a first grade player by then, and you're being told to work on your slower ball, your bouncer, your off or leg cutter, or combining them; old ball swing? You're playing T20's or 4 day cricket; you don't need to learn old ball swing, you're not going to be out there long enough and if you are the spinners will take the wickets.

It's not a dying art, it's functionally dead.

Still very annoying in T20s but understandable. Matt Renshaw first change today in the shield on the other hand…
That Renshaw would be happy to have a go at bowling first change is one of the things that appeals to me about him as a cricketer and what I suspect annoys Langer about him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That Renshaw would be happy to have a go at bowling first change is one of the things that appeals to me about him as a cricketer and what I suspect annoys Langer about him.

No part-timer worth their salt ever turns down the chance to bowl or underrates their chance to get the breakthrough.

Umpires that are weak as absolute piss.

Yesterday, I'm batting. My team is an old blokes and kids XI, and our opposition are a group that flit from club to club as a unit; if anyone is in any danger of promotion up the grades at any point, they leave that club. As a consequence, they're a good deal better than this comp, because no club is just going to insert a team into a middle grade when you haven't seen them play and none of them train with you.

We're 3 for not many, and they bring on a big right hander; he's bowling off five steps, but the keeper's back so I don't think he's bowling spin. True to form, he isn't; there's a bit of a suspicious bend to his elbow at the point of release, and that first ball is flung straight at my head rather quickly.

For whatever reason, we had an official umpire this week. He calls the no ball, and I get over almost getting brained. I've a helmet on, he missed me, he apologised; it can happen. But then, an over or so later, he does it again, and this time he gets me. To put this into context, the ball came off the top of my helmet, and almost went for six.

I have a fourteen year old, a thirteen year old and a sixteen year old in this team.

According to the rules, you bowl two waist high beamers you're struck for dangerous bowling. I say this to the umpire; the bloke umms and ahs, and then proceeds to say, "We know what the rules are, we don't have to apply all of them."

I proceed to say, "That's your decision to make, but this is mine: either this bowler is struck from the attack, or I'm taking my side from the field. I'm sorry, but I do not feel that you are affording my team the safety they are due under the rules."

The opposition captain agrees to take him from the attack, and things are amicable enough. The umpire, absolutely gutless in the moment, tells me, "I think that's the right decision."

* off. He's almost hit me the first time with a bowling action that resembles a baseball pitcher, and he got me the second time. He's lucky he did that to me and not the bloke batting without the helmet earlier in the day.

I get that we need umpires and we need to encourage more people to umpire, but this dickhead was genuinely worse than not having an umpire at all.

Last edited:
Really weird peeve - the teal coloured seats at the SCG. They look horrible. The whole stadium could look so much better by coordinating the seating colours to a more neutral tone. Takes away from the beauty of the ladies and members stand.

Really weird peeve - the teal coloured seats at the SCG. They look horrible. The whole stadium could look so much better by coordinating the seating colours to a more neutral tone. Takes away from the beauty of the ladies and members stand.
Cream, bone, white, off white, ivory and beige would be more fitting

SCG is a vastly overrated cricket ground.
For me it suffers because of the piecemeal way that it's been renovated over the last forty years without any sort of overriding plan. You've got the beautiful old Member's and Lady's stands and then a hodge podge of other stands in various styles tacked on about the place with what looks like very little thought.

Real weird cricket thing that bemuses me.

The way some cricket players both male and female stroke each other when they get shown on the camera in the dugout.

One of the wbbl girls was acting like a numpty on camera stroking the face then the inner thigh of one of her team mates.

For me it suffers because of the piecemeal way that it's been renovated over the last forty years without any sort of overriding plan. You've got the beautiful old Member's and Lady's stands and then a hodge podge of other stands in various styles tacked on about the place with what looks like very little thought.

Exactly this. Needs a whole scale redo like the Adelaide Oval.

The way it had that beautiful scoreboard hidden by a hideous concrete grandstand for years was criminal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back