Player Watch #35: Harry "Coleman" Petty – the answer to our KPF woes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dogga6

All Australian
May 11, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne

Geez that's an impressive highlight reel. Has real potential to be an All Australian in a few years.

Funny to think he's such a better player this year alone then Oscar McDonald's whole career who we persisted with far too long.

* he’s such a gun. Really has it all - strong, tall, reads it beautifully in the air, courageous and has more than a bit of mongrel. Only turns 22 in a couple of weeks as well. Him and Lever will play together for another 7-8 years at least you’d hope.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Love those aggressive body spoils.

Big moment for me was in the GF 2nd quarter when Tim English had taken a few good grabs and outmarked Petty again to have a shot from around 50. English gave him some lip when he took the mark and Libba went to tell Petty all about it.

Then Petty smothers English's shot on goal and gives him an earful. Timmy then goes on to do nothing else for the entire game.

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
As good as he is back. I think he'll be a better forward especially considering McDonald and Weideman aren't very good. And with Tomlinson returning I think it would be a win/win.

netslave

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
As good as he is back. I think he'll be a better forward especially considering McDonald and Weideman aren't very good. And with Tomlinson returning I think it would be a win/win.
He's the key to our backline functioning the way it does now though, letting Lever have the freedom to zone off and intercept mark and let May do his stuff.
We won a GF with McDonald, I would be reluctant to change that setup unless something drastic happened.

He's the key to our backline functioning the way it does now though, letting Lever have the freedom to zone off and intercept mark and let May do his stuff.
We won a GF with McDonald, I would be reluctant to change that setup unless something drastic happened.
If Jack Watts’ left handed handball was on offer though you’d be mad to turn it down

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne

And Tomlinson wasn't?

You can't get complacent in an even league like this. We have to keep trying to improving your starting 22, not sit on guys with bad form just because we won the GF.

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Right so we just haver won an AFL flag and the thing someone comes up with is move our FB f0rwaed is a thing. fu** OFF .

You're probably the same guy that said that Tom Mcdonald should stay back. If it wasn't for people like me saying Mcdonald is a better forward then his career would've ended 5 years ago.

our FB? Pretty sure May is our FB. And is your memory really that short that you don't recall how good Tomlinson was?

Also, we were the worst set shot accuracy team in the league last year. I believe Petty improves this over guys like Weideman (who I predict takes over Mcdonald. as it currently stands).

netslave

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Also, we were the worst set shot accuracy team in the league last year. I believe Petty improves this over guys like Weideman (who I predict takes over Mcdonald. as it currently stands).

Yes, thats because our forward setup and plan was to kick deep to the pocket and try and get a mark and subsequently a shot for goal at a hard angle or to force a repeat contest after a boundary throw in. Even Tony Lockett would struggle with that forward gameplan.

Petty may possibly be a better forward than Tom McDonald or Weideman but I don't think Goody will make that move and we'll never find out.
Why wouldn't we just keep Petty down back where he excels and trade in, or draft another ready made forward?

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
You're probably the same guy that said that Tom Mcdonald should stay back. If it wasn't for people like me saying Mcdonald is a better forward then his career would've ended 5 years ago.

our FB? Pretty sure May is our FB. And is your memory really that short that you don't recall how good Tomlinson was?

Go talk to the mountain , you are full of your own s**t . Oh and go find where I said anything remotely hinting that McDonald should stay back . I don’t know who you are but in future please don’t engage in conversation with me , I have no interest in your opinions. Thanks

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
fu** he’s such a gun. Really has it all - strong, tall, reads it beautifully in the air, courageous and has more than a bit of mongrel. Only turns 22 in a couple of weeks as well. Him and Lever will play together for another 7-8 years at least you’d hope.
With him and lever you could replace May with a stopper and I think the defence will still be very good.

With him and lever you could replace May with a stopper and I think the defence will still be very good.
Just depends on the way the rest of your side is set up. Richmond played with a tall backline of Astbury, Grimes and Broad for most of 2019 when Rance went down, with Balta only playing 13 games. Petty definitely has the potential to be better than Astbury and Lever is much better than Grimes. Finding a structural player to replace May/Tomlinson in a few years shouldn’t be too hard and shouldn’t reduce the quality of the backline too much. Most important thing is how much pressure they’re under as a result of the work of their teammates up the field.

The second round of that draft is remarkable. Balta, Taylor, McCartin and Petty all taken between 25-37. Pretty crazy given that Naughton was taken at 10 as a KPD, to find four potentially elite defenders after that. Goes to show why you’d rather play Naughton as a forward instead, that kind of talent is wasted in the backline (unless you have other emerging KPFs and a lack of KPDs, which ironically is the ‘problem’ the Dogs have now)

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Geez that draft year is looking better as time goes on. Spargo, Fritta and Petty. Can't say that Baker has been a complete bust either.

Islanda22

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2014
Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne
Petty's 2021 season is very similar to how Draymond Green got his opportunity mid season at Golden State. David Lee got injured which opened the door for Green.

Lee was eventually traded a season later

I know I’ve said this a million times but Petty, Tomlinson, May and Lever can, should and will play in the same 22. It’s one of the things offering us biggest scope for improvement in 2022 IMO.

Back