News 2022 coaching appointments (Leppitsch, Bolton, Jetta, & Fraser)

Remove this Banner Ad

He hates Collingwood still salty about not getting a game in 2010 GF.

Hate is very emotive language so I’m going to tone it down.

Does he dislike Collingwood or does he dislike the people that were there in 2010? For example I disliked Walsh, McGuire, Malthouse and Buckley for various reasons over the years, but it never impacted my thoughts toward the club (except during the 2020 trade period). As far as I can tell no one involved with 2010 in a football capacity remains with the club except Pendles and Steele. Licuria almost overlapped and Korda was there, but if Fraser even knew him I’m deleting my account.

A practical example for me is that I loathe St Kilda, but if they offered me a role that I wanted I would completely set that aside and give everything I had to it. Although I would struggle in circumstances where it conflicted with my love of Collingwood. Basically if it were a role that had me making a decision that would cost Collingwood a flag I couldn’t do it.

I can see a trend with these appointments. Bolton, Leppa, McRae and Fraser have all coached their own teams. What matters most for me moving forward given that experience is how they connect with the group and how they take them on that shared journey. The early signs you’ve spoken of Beeg seem positive.

Perhaps the better word is retain instead of hire.
Well explained, (IMO) here by The Royal Sampler.
Let’s leave it there, what’s done is done.
Please don’t turn this into another argument about Bucks.

It might just be me but that doesn’t link to anything specific for me. I’m just going to be happy that I may, at some point, have posted something above my standard half-wit level!

It might just be me but that doesn’t link to anything specific for me. I’m just going to be happy that I may, at some point, have posted something above my standard half-wit level!

I could be wrong, but I think AD was suggesting you hacked Quicky’s account! As you said that doesn’t seem your usual standard…

On a more serious note it seems clear that we’re investing our soft cap differently entering 2022 which would be a feather in Licuria’s cap, but we still don’t have a list manager so I’ll press pause on that until that position is sorted post draft.

I could be wrong, but I think AD was suggesting you hacked Quicky’s account! As you said that doesn’t seem your usual standard…

On a more serious note it seems clear that we’re investing our soft cap differently entering 2022 which would be a feather in Licuria’s cap, but we still don’t have a list manager so I’ll press pause on that until that position is sorted post draft.
Soft cap seems a work in progress so far our infrastructure overhaul looks progressive and professional aside from the - for me - messy and hesitant seeming board restructure.

For better or worse the days when a club could manage their affairs in privacy and ignore the greater community are gone. To be seen as a professional and responsible organization requires consideration of every aspect of it's affairs and I'm pleased we have mad a good start in this direction.

Soft cap seems a work in progress so far our infrastructure overhaul looks progressive and professional aside from the - for me - messy and hesitant seeming board restructure.

For better or worse the days when a club could manage their affairs in privacy and ignore the greater community are gone. To be seen as a professional and responsible organization requires consideration of every aspect of it's affairs and I'm pleased we have mad a good start in this direction.

Agree with this.
The soft cap cost was a big reason i was hoping we didn't go down the clarkson path.
I also suspect it was the reason Hawks decided to move him on.
I don't think any club can carry a high 6 / 7 figure salary for a head coach anymore.

I'm buoyed by the changes we've made and the half way point of next season will really give us an idea whether the complete 180 we appear have made in our soft cap / off field management has us moving in the right direction.
No miracles expected here....just a progress that, from the outside, looks like taking us back into the 8

Agree with this.
The soft cap cost was a big reason i was hoping we didn't go down the clarkson path.
I also suspect it was the reason Hawks decided to move him on.
I don't think any club can carry a high 6 / 7 figure salary for a head coach anymore.

I'm buoyed by the changes we've made and the half way point of next season will really give us an idea whether the complete 180 we appear have made in our soft cap / off field management has us moving in the right direction.
No miracles expected here....just a progress that, from the outside, looks like taking us back into the 8
The only note of caution I would add is that I regard the climb back to finals as being a process rather than an assumption. There are so many aspects that must come together in a timely way for even a mature playing list to be finals competitive and we have both a young list and a new organization supporting and nurturing them.

A par expectation for me this coming season is a rise to the 12th/10th position with an even run of fortunes.

Every team of course should enter every season with high expectations but the chance of finals action this coming year would require absolutely everything to fall into place first time and for a run of good fortune in a Richmond like vein - something that just doesn't happen at this club.

The only note of caution I would add is that I regard the climb back to finals as being a process rather than an assumption. There are so many aspects that must come together in a timely way for even a mature playing list to be finals competitive and we have both a young list and a new organization supporting and nurturing them.

A par expectation for me this coming season is a rise to the 12th/10th position with an even run of fortunes.

Every team of course should enter every season with high expectations but the chance of finals action this coming year would require absolutely everything to fall into place first time and for a run of good fortune in a Richmond like vein - something that just doesn't happen at this club.

i should have added the word eventually to my comment about getting back to finals!!
i don't care about wins next year, so i don't put any numbers on it.
I just want to see that we have the foundations set and it looks like we're on the right path.

re: injuries. new fitness boss will be interesting. We've actually been significantly better in the past few years on injuries. A lot of our injuries are unavoidable contact injuries. Only a few are soft tissue. So i see that as a big improvement to our fitness management.....whether we were match-fit enough is another question entirely!

Take the kudos that belong to Quicky - I'll fix it!

Might have another position to fill. Tom Browne reporting the dogs are looking at Spangher who’s our AFL Engagement and VFL Operations Manager.

Its not a stab... it’s true.
It’s like the salary Dumps last year.
Nathans contract was a major hinderance to our soft cap off field....look how many names have arrived since and we are operating within the cap still....

From what I can tell, it’s been mostly one in, one out?

Out: Buckley, In: McRae
Out: Harvey, In: Leppitsch
Out: Sanderson, In: Bolton
Out: White, In: Wade
Out: Carrol, In: Fraser

Retained
- Skipworth
- Selwood
- Close

New:
- Jetta

Also out:
- Wagner (not sure if he was in the soft cap)

Very good off season.
We have rebuilt the club from the bottom up and we have allocated resources accordingly to strengthen the program with some crucial arrivals, resources that were previously killed by Nathan.
To be able to bolster the development wing is very important to get the improvement we seek fast

I’d reckon the changes this off-season have a lot more to do with …

out: Ed
In: Korda

out: Walsh
In: Wright

… than anything to do with Buckley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't take HFF comment as a personal dig at Bucks rather a criticism of how the club chose to structure the soft cap. It was well known Bucks was on a very big salary. That has to impact the soft cap and that means less support staff. I think we've seen that most sharply in the reduction of Hines recruiting team, ruck and assistant coaches etc. but it would have flow ons in other areas. I think it's a fair concern.

Maybe it was also part of the calculations of him moving on?

A contract review (which Bucks had this year) isn’t just a decision about extending the contract (or not), it’s also about having a pay review. And if the club is not able to justify giving the senior coach a pay rise, maybe there’s no point to him sticking around (from both the club and individual’s POV)?

I’d reckon the changes this off-season have a lot more to do with …

out: Ed
In: Korda

out: Walsh
In: Wright

… than anything to do with Buckley

The club commented that getting rid of Buckley’s massive salary freed them up to go after others. If Buckley had stayed there’s no way we would’ve been able to afford all of those guys.

The club commented that getting rid of Buckley’s massive salary freed them up to go after others. If Buckley had stayed there’s no way we would’ve been able to afford all of those guys.

When did did they say that?

As I posted above, it’s been pretty much one in one out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back