Society/Culture Are hierarchies bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

The answer is always to be responsible for yourself. The people who do that the best usually end up in a position they deserve and society respects that.

How does that work for people (1) in third world countries? (2) with congenital disabilities?

Think of a man who dreams of leaving his law firm to open a portable dog wash. Now that's progress; that's a hierarchy. If you appear to be confusingly perplexed, then that's your fault; you're not woke enough to get it. Sorry if I sound like I'm going off on a tangent. My point is, tax the rich! That way, I can finally have a biycle with rockets strapped to it.

Given there is a clear hierarchy of nations on Earth and throughout human history, it doesn't work nearly as well as people with congenital disabilities in Australia.

Poor people will always be poor, rich people will always be rich, and not because of merit, just because that's the way it is and has always been throughout history.

You seem to be having it both ways.

Poor people will always be poor, rich people will always be rich, and not because of merit, just because that's the way it is and has always been throughout history.

I was actually showing that there are clearly and obviously better places to live on earth.

I was actually showing that there are clearly and obviously better places to live on earth.

You seem to be saying that merit is best, then you are saying that some places are better than others. How then does merit work for those not living in the better places? (Assuming that the better places to live are based on merit)

You seem to be saying that merit is best, then you are saying that some places are better than others. How then does merit work for those not living in the better places? (Assuming that the better places to live are based on merit)
Hierarchies of merit are ideal and certain nations are far worse for people with disadvantages.

Should we invade the worse places on the planet to make their culture and society more like ours so that disadvantaged people can live better?

I'm not even sure we could get consensus that some places on Earth are objectively better and others are objectively worse. Certainly not when Australia is going to be in the top handful of places ever in human history in every category.

Hierarchies of merit are ideal and certain nations are far worse for people with disadvantages.

Should we invade the worse places on the planet to make their culture and society more like ours so that disadvantaged people can live better?

I'm not even sure we could get consensus that some places on Earth are objectively better and others are objectively worse. Certainly not when Australia is going to be in the top handful of places ever in human history in every category.

Ease up on the mayo.

Has there ever been a society that hasn't had a hierarchy?
How would we know?

Humans have spent their time until very, very recently cramming orthodoxies down other human's throats, by sword and gun. If an alternative isn't permitted to be experimented with or allowed to rise, how would we know if it isn't an inevitability under a different set of priorities?

Hierarchies of competence are generally good. Provided all have access to that in an equal footing.

The main opponents of a true meritocracy are those currently in political and economic power.

Nobody who uses the term woke left in a discussion about hierarchies will ever be near the top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No you can't - that's the point. No hierarchy = anarchy.

That may sound simplistic but mark my words without it you have chaos.
I genuinely think you are presupposing a condition for societal existence that you haven't demonstrated. Just because hierarchical societies are the way things are does not immediately entail that they are the only option.

Art is better cos its more beautiful, stimulating and technically complex.

those who think certain art isnt better then other art debase the whole concept of art.

my kids drew a couple of squiggles on a piece of paper. Took them 1 minute. For you to say a Monet or Van Gogh isnt better then my kids art is objectively insulting to Monet and Van Gogh.
ROFL.

You think all great art takes a long time or something?
That all great art is visual?
That all great art is made by a professional artist?

That is not how it works.

You beliefs about art expose you more than you think.

The answer to your question is yes.

Thats not true at all. You are taking something that is more probable and assuming that its absolute. Thats a failure of logic. Rich people become destitute and Poor people become rich in all societies. but it happens far more often in societies based on merit.

I genuinely think you are presupposing a condition for societal existence that you haven't demonstrated. Just because hierarchical societies are the way things are does not immediately entail that they are the only option.

Presupposing? Maybe look at the question again, has there ever been a society without hierarchy? Well I can't think of one.

So I can't presuppose a society without one.

Hierarchy(s) are not a concept or societal construct, they're organic, a natural mammalian trait, they're NOT an 'option'. So I'm not sure what your point is.

Presupposing? Maybe look at the question again, has there ever been a society without hierarchy? Well I can't think of one.

So I can't presuppose a society without one.
Maybe look at the post you're quoting again?

What I said was that you are presuming that hierarchies are a condition of society - or, for the purposes of this discussion, a condition of our mammalian ancestry - without definitive proof it is.

Hierarchy(s) are not a concept or societal construct, they're organic, a natural mammalian trait, they're NOT an 'option'. So I'm not sure what your point is.
My contention is this: demonstrate it as a human trait, as opposed to a mammalian trait, because in a lot of ways we've moved beyond simply being mammals and into a category of our own.

Maybe look at the post you're quoting again?

What I said was that you are presuming that hierarchies are a condition of society - or, for the purposes of this discussion, a condition of our mammalian ancestry - without definitive proof it is.

My contention is this: demonstrate it as a human trait, as opposed to a mammalian trait, because in a lot of ways we've moved beyond simply being mammals and into a category of our own.

Presuming? How can a society or any organised structure be that structure without hierarchy? There you should find your answer.

A human trait? You do realize we're mammals right? We're one and the same not mutually exclusive. This is not a 'choice' or an 'option', before humans could speak there was and still is an innate need to structure for the purpose of organization.

Feel free to argue that it is avoidable and not have structure, remembering there is not nor has there been a society without structure (not that I can think of nor has anyone provided evidence of), that should be interesting.

Presuming? How can a society or any organised structure be that structure without hierarchy? There you should find your answer.

A human trait? You do realize we're mammals right? We're one and the same not mutually exclusive. This is not a 'choice' or an 'option', before humans could speak there was and still is an innate need to structure for the purpose of organization.

Feel free to argue that it is avoidable and not have structure, remembering there is not nor has there been a society without structure (not that I can think of nor has anyone provided evidence of), that should be interesting.
Relationships are inevitable, because interelation between two parties necessitates a relationship, but a hierarchy is different from a relationship.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back