Politics Black Lives Matter

Remove this Banner Ad

That is why even migrants from India etc who traditionally play cricket in their old country find it hard to get involved here.

I'm sure the ABC would like to believe that but I don't believe that at all. Looking at the local comp there are lots of Indians involved.
I'd even suggest some teams would struggle to exist with out Indians participating.

So you are against anti-racist gestures then.

As my post talked about, BLM is not as simple as an anti-racist gesture. When sports players take a knee which of the BLM policies - on defunding of or abolishing the police, dismantling the nuclear family structure, the radical restructuring of wealth - are they supporting?

There are other anti-racist gestures that are less divisive.

So are indigenous players.
Are indigenous people over represented in the AFL or is there just a higher participation rate from indigenous people at all levels?

As my post talked about, BLM is not as simple as an anti-racist gesture. When sports players take a knee which of the BLM policies - on defunding of or abolishing the police, dismantling the nuclear family structure, the radical restructuring of wealth - are they supporting?

Shaking the opponent's hand would be simpler with no strings attached, but taking a knee is fine without the BLM context. Many people upon looking at the BLM website would opine that it does not represent their beliefs.

Cricket has a BLM problem and must leave it behind and never mention it again. Promote taking the knee as the universal gesture of solidarity against racism, rather than alignment with a political movement, and few could reasonably have a problem with it.

Unfortunately it seems Michael Holding has been central to the BLM association with cricket, the West Indies team even executing Black Power salutes complete with black gloved fists at times. Some of us have noticed the once-mellow Mikey growing increasingly irritable and cantankerous in the commentary box these past few years; if cricket needs to manoeuvre him to the side, so be it.

Of course certain types will try to make an anti-racism movement about anything other than anti-racism so they can pretend to be something that they aren't when they decry it, which they inevitably do because they abhor anti-racism.

Cricket isn't a white man's game anymore, the majority of money comes from India where most of the power lies as well and the majority of the players don't look like Dave Warner. How can a gesture of support for people of colour ie the majority of your fellow workforce be divisive?

Cricket isn't a white man's game anymore, the majority of money comes from India where most of the power lies as well and the majority of the players don't look like Dave Warner. How can a gesture of support for people of colour ie the majority of your fellow workforce be divisive?
This question is your domain Goughy, why is a blm knee needed in a South African context these days where blacks are the majority and now run most of the levers of government?
Aren't people of de utensils ilk now the persecuted minority with the farm attacks / racially targeted violence etc.

This question is your domain Goughy, why is a blm knee needed in a South African context these days where blacks are the majority and now run most of the levers of government?
Aren't people of de utensils ilk now the persecuted minority with the farm attacks / racially targeted violence etc.
The persecuted white minority in South Africa is a far right talking point that bears little resemblance in reality. I'll leave people like you and Duts to fret about them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shaking the opponent's hand would be simpler with no strings attached, but taking a knee is fine without the BLM context. Many people upon looking at the BLM website would opine that it does not represent their beliefs.

Cricket has a BLM problem and must leave it behind and never mention it again. Promote taking the knee as the universal gesture of solidarity against racism, rather than alignment with a political movement, and few could reasonably have a problem with it.

The English Premier League players initially wore BLACK LIVES MATTER on the back of their shirts, and there were big BLM banners in the stand. They still take the knee but have dropped the explicit association to BLM and pretend it's just an anti-racism gesture.

Cricket seems to be more open that taking the knee is about BLM while also pretending that BLM is just about anti-racism.

Both stances are bogus.

Unfortunately it seems Michael Holding has been central to the BLM association with cricket, the West Indies team even executing Black Power salutes complete with black gloved fists at times. Some of us have noticed the once-mellow Mikey growing increasingly irritable and cantankerous in the commentary box these past few years; if cricket needs to manoeuvre him to the side, so be it.

'Mikey' used to seem like a nice, harmless guy on the commentary but lately he has been making some stupid comments - implying that any player not taking the knee in support of BLM is racist. What if a player was anti-racist (like everyone FFS) but opposed abolishing the police, dismantling the nuclear family structure, or the radical restructuring of wealth? They need to drop taking the knee.

Whenever anyone takes a knee at a sporting event everyone knows they are protesting the nuclear family
According to George Bush Snr The Simpsons were destroying the nuclear family, then gay marriage was definitely going to do it and when that didn't happen eyes were turned to the newest villain in this eternal fight against the nuclear family, the struggle for racial equality. It's like the boy who cried wolf.

In the good old days the racists would own their racism, now they hide behind bullshit like 'nuclear families' and 'redistribution of police funding' to hide their true intentions. I mean, call any of the unreconstructed racists in this thread a racist and they'll carry on as if they are somehow a martyr for democracy and free speech. They know full well that taking the knee is purely an anti-racist gesture and they hate that, so they dress it up as something else and attack from that angle instead.

I’d have no problem if my local comp instructed us to take a knee to start the season… provided BLM wasn’t mentioned.
Lol, you'd be the first the one to mention BLM just so you didn't have to do it.

In the good old days the racists would own their racism, now they hide behind bullshit like 'nuclear families' and 'redistribution of police funding' to hide their true intentions. I mean, call any of the unreconstructed racists in this thread a racist and they'll carry on as if they are somehow a martyr for democracy and free speech. They know full well that taking the knee is purely an anti-racist gesture and they hate that, so they dress it up as something else and attack from that angle instead.

Yeah it's like the republicans calling democrats divisive and calling for unity, while whining about losing elections and calling everyone radical leftists.

Having a hissy fit and calling everyone racist rather than address what has been said makes you look like an idiot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back