Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile Larkey may end up the most accurate kick for goal in the history of the game
I’m excited for the Larkey, CCJ and Comben show for the next decade

with the likes of Zurhaar, Stephenson, Taylor, Thomas around them

and Cooper Harvey next year hopefully will be our genuine small forward

Meanwhile Larkey may end up the most accurate kick for goal in the history of the game

Dickson from the Dogs would be the best I can remember. Big Boy from the Hawks before this year was incredibly good but he had a pretty poor year by his standards.

Breust had a couple of incredible years but his first couple were not the best.

But Larkey is certainly off to a good start.

Dickson from the Dogs would be the best I can remember. Big Boy from the Hawks before this year was incredibly good but he had a pretty poor year by his standards.

Don’t quote me on this but I think towards he end of the season McEvoy kicked a goal and the commentators said with that goal he became either the most accurate or second most accurate to 100 goals.

I looked it up and Larkey is well placed to beat him next year if he converts as he has previously

That purple patch by Breust was truly something to behold.

If he got the ball within 60 you pretty much knew a goal was coming

That purple patch by Breust was truly something to behold.

If he got the ball within 60 you pretty much knew a goal was coming

Funny thing was, he was on 22 or 23 straight and actually shanked one out on the full.

But his 2014 was a masterclass for small forwards.

Last edited:
Don’t quote me on this but I think towards he end of the season McEvoy kicked a goal and the commentators said with that goal he became either the most accurate or second most accurate to 100 goals.

I looked it up and Larkey is well placed to beat him next year if he converts as he has previously

Goal accuracy of a few noted goalkickers...

Dickson 75%
(Larkey) 75%
McEvoy 71%
Lockett 70%
Breust 68%

Edit: Found this link which lists all the most accurate goalkickers from 1965 until now (min 50 scoring shots): AFL Tables - Player Statistics - Accuracy

North by length of Flemington straight.

It seems that way right now, but list building and management is in a constant state of Flux, Crows to me are probably the team most likely to have the most immediate improvement next season.

Have to include Ford in that mix!

Bit worried about North's key defensive stocks next season with Tarrant's departure. McKay is developing very nicely but can't do it all on his own.

This debate is reminding me of the hawks/tigers/dogs debate of the mid 00s

Tigers were going to dominate (I suppose they did - once everyone from then was gone), the dogs might jag a flag if they're lucky, but the hawks are hopeless and won't get anywhere

I would be very surprised if they weren't absolute garbage next year. Cunnington, Goldstien and Ziebell didn't exactly save them from being garbage this year.

There is certainly talent there, but it's going to take a couple of years to materialise into something as they're really going to be waiting on Phillips/JUH + others they've drafted in 2019-2020 to get towards 50 games to really lift them. This whole talk of North bouncing quickly is just setting them up to fail imho.

It's worth remembering we're all at the absolute bottom for a reason, and it's not because we're brimming with talent. Nor does talent save teams on their own, not without time being given to get it up to speed.

You might find JUH is a bulldogs player, but I'm sure he'd be welcome at Arden St.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tigers were going to dominate (I suppose they did - once everyone from then was gone), the dogs might jag a flag if they're lucky, but the hawks are hopeless and won't get anywhere

The Geelong vs St Kilda youth debate in the early 00s was also very heated and intriguing.
Ultimately The Cats and Paul Chapman were vindicated. But those Saints teams was great to watch and really deserved at least one flag imho

Mid 2000's - Hawks going nowhere?? :think:

From 2001 draft they had traded players for picks to start their rebuild and picked up Hodge, Mitchell, Brown.
From memory ,the first 2 of these were showing by 2005 they were going to be very good players, if not great.
2005 Franklin/Roughead and Lewis were teenagers but games were pumped into them 20,16, 19 respectively . 5 of these turned out to be generational players. We weren't to know then in the mid 2000's what they were to become , but you would have been excited by the potential and possibilities.
I'm not sure the current youth at Hawthorn gets the pulse beating so quickly.

Mid 2000's - Hawks going nowhere?? :think:

From 2001 draft they had traded players for picks to start their rebuild and picked up Hodge, Mitchell, Brown.
From memory ,the first 2 of these were showing by 2005 they were going to be very good players, if not great.
2005 Franklin/Roughead and Lewis were teenagers but games were pumped into them 20,16, 19 respectively . 5 of these turned out to be generational players. We weren't to know then in the mid 2000's what they were to become , but you would have been excited by the potential and possibilities.
I'm not sure the current youth at Hawthorn gets the pulse beating so quickly.
Richmond thought they had the 2 best players in the 2004 draft and then jumped in wins in 2005 and 2006 so many still had them ahead

Richmond thought they had the 2 best players in the 2004 draft and then jumped in wins in 2005 and 2006 so many still had them ahead
Yeah, myself not following either of the sides you could well be right. See the 2006 stats for the 2004 drafted crop ok.
Buddy 30 goals with a couple bags of 6, Roughy 12 with a bag of 4 and Lewis averaging 20 disposals. They kept pumping games into them though.
That is exactly what the Hawks need to do for the next couple of years with their big kids . Reeves [2] Jeka [4] Kosi [20] DGB [6?] Lewis [36]
It won't happen overnight but of those 5 you need a few to become serious AFL players if the rebuild will have success.

Bit worried about North's key defensive stocks next season with Tarrant's departure. McKay is developing very nicely but can't do it all on his own.
Mckay and Corr are our keys then we have Josh Walker too

Bonar can play as a third tall type if needed but ideally plays on mediums

we will likely draft another key back to develop with McGuinness

It is an area we need to focus on no doubt. Tarrant missed half of last year and Corr basically missed the whole year. Corr is pretty much a new recruit to play alongside McKay. Not that they would make an instant impact, but hopefully pick 20 is invested in a defender. We need a running half back almost as much as a key defender.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Who is North’s back six?

Turner (25) Mckay (23) Ziebell (30)

Hall (31) Corr (27) McDonald (26)

Short term or untried players

Walker - solid key defender but not long termer
Bonar - whilst playing some ok footy down back he just constantly gets injured
Flynn Perez - done 2 knees by his second season. Looked great in his few games last year and will get every chance to replace hall.
Pat walker, McGuinness, Hayden are all speculative rookies and probably wont make it.

So there’s not much there and clearly our weakest area of the ground, particularly with young players. The good news is that we have 3 guys aged around 26 that have 4-5 years of their best footy ahead of them. Plus Mckay who is the biggest piece of the puzzle.

You’d imagine a lot of our future draft capital will be spent in this area of the ground.

Turner (25) Mckay (23) Ziebell (30)

Hall (31) Corr (27) McDonald (26)

Short term or untried players

Walker - solid key defender but not long termer
Bonar - whilst playing some ok footy down back he just constantly gets injured
Flynn Perez - done 2 knees by his second season. Looked great in his few games last year and will get every chance to replace hall.
Pat walker, McGuinness, Hayden are all speculative rookies and probably wont make it.

So there’s not much there and clearly our weakest area of the ground, particularly with young players. The good news is that we have 3 guys aged around 26 that have 4-5 years of their best footy ahead of them. Plus Mckay who is the biggest piece of the puzzle.

You’d imagine a lot of our future draft capital will be spent in this area of the ground.
Would a club really be spending much draft capital there? Got one key pillar in McKay, sure spend big on another key but that would be about it

Melbourne are really the only recent premiers that have spent a lot of draft capital on backmen

North have the best high ceiling talent. Not sure about their ruck talent and lack youth down back. Simpkin is overrated, makes too many mistakes with and off the ball. Thomas is their best midfielder.

Lot of the Crows players we need to come on are still in years 1-3. Seem to be developing in the right direction but a bit slower than anticipated. Forward talent outside of Thilthorpe and Cook are a worry. Should end up with a lot of solid role players, lack high ceiling talent.

Hawks have a solid defence for the next decade and solid young rucks. Probably look to a KPP next year and mids this year, think its a long road ahead for them.

Crows and Hawks both able to win games they shouldnt and were competitive most of the time wheras North rolled over many times and also lack a bit of on field leadership to steer them.

Would a club really be spending much draft capital there? Got one key pillar in McKay, sure spend big on another key but that would be about it

Melbourne are really the only recent premiers that have spent a lot of draft capital on backmen
Yep. And first year in with both injured, the media [ and probably us too] derided their decision. Worked out great for them.

Saints to get their 2 key backs , gave up Pick 6 for Jake Carlisle and if you can work out the convoluted Dougal Howard deal your a better man they me- probably came out as a second. So a bit of a draft capital there .
Of these 3 sides the Hawks backline looks best in quantity certainly. Key big 6'6 backs probably less so, but good for lock-down , intercepting and setting up backs. Suspect their drafting will target the other areas of the ground the next 2-3 years.

North have the best high ceiling talent. Not sure about their ruck talent and lack youth down back. Simpkin is overrated, makes too many mistakes with and off the ball. Thomas is their best midfielder.

Lot of the Crows players we need to come on are still in years 1-3. Seem to be developing in the right direction but a bit slower than anticipated. Forward talent outside of Thilthorpe and Cook are a worry. Should end up with a lot of solid role players, lack high ceiling talent.

Hawks have a solid defence for the next decade and solid young rucks. Probably look to a KPP next year and mids this year, think its a long road ahead for them.

Crows and Hawks both able to win games they shouldnt and were competitive most of the time wheras North rolled over many times and also lack a bit of on field leadership to steer them.

Simpkin isn't really overrated. It's not like he receives the circle jerk of a lot of players from the media around his age.

He can be hit and miss with disposal, but he's been getting better year on year consistently.

He's probably not going to be in our best 3 mids though moving forward though, which bodes well.

You are right, it would take some player (even JHF) to be better than what Thomas promises to be.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back