Prediction Round 1 2022 Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a reasonable chance that Gibcus will be available when we exercise our pick #5 (assuming this remains our first pick). Could do worse IMO. The weight of opinion on this site is that we should target quality mids but I would be comfortable with Gibcus, Andrew or Rachele. Hartigan has at best a couple of seasons left and Frost 3-4 so Gibcus would be a good strategic acquisition.
Key defenders can always be traded.

Mid's would be a lot more valuable, with our current absence of young, promising gun mids.

There is a reasonable chance that Gibcus will be available when we exercise our pick #5 (assuming this remains our first pick). Could do worse IMO. The weight of opinion on this site is that we should target quality mids but I would be comfortable with Gibcus, Andrew or Rachele. Hartigan has at best a couple of seasons left and Frost 3-4 so Gibcus would be a good strategic acquisition.
I don’t want Gibcus simply because all I’ve read about him is he’s a good interceptor who’s one-on-one defending isn’t as good. Same reason I don’t want Bazzo.

Looking at our round 1 team we have much more pressing needs than another intercept defender.

Really like that side. And it is how we need to see the side line up if we are to improve and start moving up the ladder.

No
Morrison
Howe
Phillips
Shiels

These are the guys we need to move past.

Saunders
Seamus
Newcombe
Jeka
Lynch
Morris
Downie
Callow

These guys waiting in the wings and can hopefully leapfrog the above group when opportunities arise.

Magginnes a bit behind this group but may improve quickly with more games.

I'd have Hartigan in over Frost as the tall.

Sic was playing tall regularly before his knee so have a similar view that only playing one of Frost or Hartigan gives us the chance to play another runner. Of course depends on how Sic performs post knee. Having Big Boy in the side means we could push Kosi back into defence and BB fwd if we needed another bigger body up back.

The list is starting to take shape. Again if you look at the names we chopped it was all dead wood apologies to Burger. The dead wood list is nowhere near what it was moving into 2022 which means the list has good scope for growth. Big Boy and possibly Gunners might be on the list if Gunners back causes more problems in 2022. The great man Breusty close to the end too. Need to replace Frost and Hartigan but otherwise a good solid foundation there.

Hopefully by this time next year Reeves, Grainger-Barras, Brockman and Newcombe are best 22.

I think Shiels, Howe and Morrison will all struggle to hold their spot with a full list to choose from.

There’s plenty of scope for improvement in the midfield if Day, Bramble and Impey can be part of the new rotation.
So you reckon a guy who finished 7th in the PCM won't be in the best 22? Considering where he came from at the beginning of the season, I reckon Howe is a lock.

So you reckon a guy who finished 7th in the PCM won't be in the best 22? Considering where he came from at the beginning of the season, I reckon Howe is a lock.
New coach.

Didn't we trade a PCM winner previously?
A PCM finish doesn't make you untouchable.
Trading a B&F winner for appropriate value - fair enough.

Leaving the guy who finished 7th in the B&F out of the first choice 22 for the next game - pretty odd.’

Leaving the guy who finished 7th in the B&F out of the first choice 22 for the next game - pretty odd.’
We let him look at his options during trade week and when there was nothing was forthcoming of value he signed a 12 month contract.

That’s not the picture of a player who’s a best 22 lock under a new coach.

We let him look at his options during trade week and when there was nothing was forthcoming of value he signed a 12 month contract.

That’s not the picture of a player who’s a best 22 lock under a new coach.
we let him look at his options?

I think you'll find not letting someone look at options is abduction.

we let him look at his options?

I think you'll find not letting someone look at options is abduction.
He got a 12month contract offer from us after not getting anything better.

He got a 12month contract offer from us after not getting anything better.
Yes I know. Funny what gets posted in this very forum. Including in this very thread and in fact by you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the several player set to return, inc. Gunston, Breust, Moore, Day, Sicily, CJ and Impey, where exactly does Howe fit in? All of those players bar Breust can play in overlapping areas of the ground. That doesn't include Reeves or Lynch, or take into account any natural improvement from the young talent like DGB, the Duke, Brockman or Downie.

Last edited:
Fits in as depth but not best 22. There’s nothing wrong with that either.
I love Dan Howe. But agree he is depth. But I'd like to see him start Round 1 (I think deserved) and then have the youngsters try and knock him off his spot. At the moment he is one of the more versatile mids that we have. Can play inside, blocks, tags, outside, the wing and HBF.

I love Dan Howe. But agree he is depth. But I'd like to see him start Round 1 (I think deserved) and then have the youngsters try and knock him off his spot. At the moment he is one of the more versatile mids that we have. Can play inside, blocks, tags, outside, the wing and HBF.
I’m not against Howe playing round 1 and there’s a reasonable chance of it happening with the likelihood of not having a completely healthy list heading into the season.

Personally, I see Day being moved on to the wing. His game against the Giants this year was bloody impressive and would really compliment Bramble’s style. Who takes the third spot out of Scrimshaw (I don’t think he has the endurance), Jiath, Shiels, Howe or Phillips will be interesting.

Howe polled 83 votes in the PCM. Bramble polled 41. They’re one year apart in age. I take it everyone has Bramble in their starting 22?

Astonishing that Dan Howe gets relegated to “depth player” when there’s nothing to suggest Downie, Brockman or Newcombe will naturally develop to knock him out of the team

Howe polled 83 votes in the PCM. Bramble polled 41. They’re one year apart in age. I take it everyone has Bramble in their starting 22?

Astonishing that Dan Howe gets relegated to “depth player” when there’s nothing to suggest Downie, Brockman or Newcombe will naturally develop to knock him out of the team

They are 3 years apart in age.

Dan has had 7 years in the system, Lachie 1. I think we have seen what sort of player/ceiling Dan has.

Brockman & Duke are not competing with Dan in the 22... Downie, like Bramble has exciting attributes we are crying out for, but is probably behind Howe right now.

Howe played 20 games.
Bramble played 10.

Day, Scrimshaw, Jiath, Impey and Bramble can’t all play off the halfback line, so Howe gets pushed out of the 22.

Howe played 20 games to Bramble's 10

Howe played 20 games.
Bramble played 10.

Day, Scrimshaw, Jiath, Impey and Bramble can’t all play off the halfback line, so Howe gets pushed out of the 22.

Howe is one of those under the radar players who the coaches love. New coaches next year but I dont see Howe being a fringe player. DGB and Bramble show promise but neither played a game better than Howes best 3 or 4 IMO. Howe is hard, tough and knows how to get the footy…not as pretty but I think he is appreciated as one of our stable role players I guess in the mould of Strats for example.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back