Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Article lists the top 5 players of each club in average distance and one game distance.

North Melbourne -

Top-five most distance covered per game in 2021

Nick Larkey, 13.14km
Jy Simpkin, 13.09km
Ben McKay, 13.02km
Josh Walker, 12.94km
Luke Davies-Uniacke, 12.89km

Top-five most distance covered in a game in 2021

Shaun Atley, R4 v Adel, 15.95km
Shaun Atley, R2 v GC, 15.58km
Jy Simpkin, R4 v Adel, 14.98km
Todd Goldstein, R4 v Adel, 14.89km
Jack Mahony, R1 v PA, 14.85km

North were comfortably last (Larkey wouldn't have made top 5 at 15 of the 17 other clubs) highlighting our lack of fitness. Big preseasons needed to climb the ladder.

On the bright side if fitness improves so will the output of the highly talented youth.

A lot of people are very bullish about our improvement next year.

Hot tip, we aren’t going anywhere until this significantly improves. They’ve clearly addressed it, however will take longer then 1 off season to fix it.

Last edited:

Hot tip, we aren’t going anywhere until this significantly improves. They’ve clearly addressed it, however will take longer then 1 off season to fix it.
Have they though? Historically, our best 4 on that list have been Brown, Dumont, Atley and Turner. In the last year, we've effectively binned 3 of them.

I'm somewhat uncomfortable about the message that sends to the younger blokes, particularly in regards to Dumont. Work on your fitness, run hard defensively, and we'll delist you at 26 because you aren't flashy? Ats would probably have been first this year if we hadn't made him medi-sub a couple of times, and now he's gone too.

Have they though? Historically, our best 4 on that list have been Brown, Dumont, Atley and Turner. In the last year, we've effectively binned 3 of them.

I'm somewhat uncomfortable about the message that sends to the younger blokes, particularly in regards to Dumont. Work on your fitness, run hard defensively, and we'll delist you at 26 because you aren't flashy? Ats would probably have been first this year if we hadn't made him medi-sub a couple of times, and now he's gone too.
Simpkin came out of nowhere and dominated the running in 2021. Guys like lazzaro and mckay are putting in work through training centres. Things will change.

I believe in the Ghosts of 93

It’s about the game plan and the injury list - talent is evident, just fine tune the bodies and game style

just had a look at the nmfc previous players that wore number 14 and they forgot to include Gavin Urquhart lmao.

Channel 7 sports saying we have had another win, coming up in the sport later .
Anyone know what it is
Melbourne were so impressed with Gold Coast's list strategy they delisted Oliver and Petracca.

They were quickly signed by NMFC.

:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meanwhile, Scott Pendlebury: 334 games, 5 B&Fs, Norm Smith medal, premiership, 6x AA.

Super Gav could easily have equaled that record if he hadn't been cruelly cut down in his prime.

By insufficient ability.

That chasedown though.💦

Do you remember that freezing cold day at Arden St in 1983 when North played Sydney Swans in front of 6,000 fans, all huddled like sardines under the available shelter out of the hail and pouring rain? 6C max temp with an ambient temp in the negatives. I was under the shed roof up the pool end bloody freezing like everyone else.
1983 is a bit before my time but I remember a day like that at Kardinia Park in the early 2000s. It had poured for days, all the dams were full, the paddocks under water, and it was still pouring that day. I don't think I have ever felt colder than I did that day.

1983 is a bit before my time but I remember a day like that at Kardinia Park in the early 2000s. It had poured for days, all the dams were full, the paddocks under water, and it was still pouring that day. I don't think I have ever felt colder than I did that day.
I’m pretty sure you’re referring to Round 4, 2001. Can confirm it’s the coldest I’ve ever felt too.

I’m pretty sure you’re referring to Round 4, 2001. Can confirm it’s the coldest I’ve ever felt too.

Yep, I remember that day.

Drove through a flooded back road on the way the Geelong and nearly got stuck. Then sat in the pouring rain and watch us get up. Think Kingy kicked 3 or 4.

I was there too, we won because Pagan had us play a goal keeper basically to sweep up all the kicks off the ground.
The highway back was closed due to flooding so it was either going home via Bacchus Marsh or navigating the back roads of Lara with a convoy of other cars (which I did). It was a bit exciting seeing the car in front get deeper and deeper into the water and knowing I was next. Incredibly stupid of me in hindsight.

Yep, I remember that day.

Drove through a flooded back road on the way the Geelong and nearly got stuck. Then sat in the pouring rain and watch us get up. Think Kingy kicked 3 or 4.
I reckon Carey dribbled one in from about 50m out too. Slid across the grass the majority of the distance.
Edit: About 1.45 mins into that above video.

I remember lining up (next to Dougie Hawkins who was still commentating, or boundary riding at that point) to get a hot jam donut. My fingers were so cold I couldn’t open the zipper on my wallet to get the change out.

I was there too, we won because Pagan had us play a goal keeper basically to sweep up all the kicks off the ground.
The highway back was closed due to flooding so it was either going home via Bacchus Marsh or navigating the back roads of Lara with a convoy of other cars (which I did). It was a bit exciting seeing the car in front get deeper and deeper into the water and knowing I was next. Incredibly stupid of me in hindsight.

We got home to Parkville via Bacchus Marsh about 9.30p.m. 5 dripping wet adults. Thank god we won.

It may be wet, but it looks kind of balmy compared to some of the football games I saw or played in as a kid in Canberra. Snow, sleet and a southerly wind so cold the Penguins were looking for an overcoat to stop their shivering was almost normal during those Canberra winters. :D

Yes, one of the best trips ever down to Baked Potato Stadium, dancing in the rain as the knitters filed out with heads down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back