El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
64Dql2P.png

Welcome BACK to the Australian Cricket Premiership!

It's been almost 2 years since our last season, and we've had some wonderful designers emerge in that time, and the standard of presentation just continues to rise and rise. So, i'd love to see the board have another crack at one of the more unique design problem solving exercises on the board.

The Australian Cricket Premiership is a club based first class cricket competition. Competitors will design a cricket club based in an Australian city, town or suburb from the ground up, with an emphasis on history and tradition. We want it to feel like these clubs have been around for 100 years, as opposed to big bash style franchises. I am fine with someone using the name of an existing suburban cricket club (say, the Melbourne Cricket Club or Western Suburbs Cricket Club etc), but the club's design must be entirely new and distinct. Returning clubs from last season will obviously be welcome.

The tournament structure will consist of a round robin league and finals, depending on how many entries we end up with.

Competitors will submit 1 first class cricket uniform. That will consist of:

- A white polo style shirt and pants. The body and sleeves of the shirt must both be white. Just to make this clear, club colours and designs are absolutely allowed, but they must be minimal, as you'd expect on a test or Sheffield Shield uniform. If you're not sure if you're using too much colour, ask me. I will allow cream to be used in place of white, however keep it pretty low saturation.

- A baggy style cricket cap in your club colours.

- An original club logo.

Your logo layout will be as follows:

d524SRQ.png

There are to be no sponsors (apart from the apparel manufacturer), player names or numbers on the kit. I will allow secondary logos etc as you see fit.

Remember, this competition is unashamedly about presentation. We're all designing mostly white shirts, after all. This board has had a strange relationship with templates over the years, with some people getting annoyed that they feel that they're getting beaten by slick templates and good presentation instead of the actual design on the kit. In the last couple of years, we seem to have gotten over that and people generally understand that presentation and attention to detail is just as important. So how do we relate that to this competition? How can you make your white uniform look the slickest? Attention to detail regarding the cut and trim of your kit is vital to give yourself a point of difference and to make your entry really eye catching. The skills you develop by solving this problem will carry over well to other competitions.

If you want to see what people did last time, click here for the round 1 thread from last season.

While i've asked for "bidding" in the thread title, there will be no bidding process. Just post the name of your club in this thread, and try to ensure that you don't use the same club name as someone who has posted before you. As soon as you've posted in this thread, get designing.

Entries to be sent to me via Imgur link by the end of Sunday 5th December, with the season to kick off shortly after that.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
I loved the first time this went on.

Remember, this competition is unashamedly about presentation.

… getting annoyed that they feel that they're getting beaten by slick templates and good presentation…

Would there be interest in a competition on kits and logos alone? Has there been one? I imagine every entrance sharing the same template, thus presentation wouldn’t affect judgment.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I read the intro to this and was wondering why I didn't participate in this the last time. Then I got to the baggy cap part and it all came back to me.

So long story short, as with last time, I don't have the right cap template, and I am not making one, so as much as I want to do this, I am out.

Disappointed to hear. I think you probably more than a lot of others here would be able to nail the traditional spirit of the comp. I hope you have a look around and find something that can be adjusted into a baggy cap.

Would there be interest in a competition on kits and logos alone? Has there been one? I imagine every entrance sharing the same template, thus presentation wouldn’t affect judgment.

The issue we have with this idea is that everyone is using a graphics different program. If we knew that everyone was using the same graphics program, this would be manageable. We'd have to use a fairly simple paint template to make it fair, and even then using photoshop on it is a massive advantage over paint because of the use of layers.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The issue we have with this idea is that everyone is using a graphics different program. If we knew that everyone was using the same graphics program, this would be manageable. We'd have to use a fairly simple paint template to make it fair, and even then using photoshop on it is a massive advantage over paint because of the use of layers.

True, but it would still be closer to that than what we usually have around here (or at least different). It might be worth a shot. Besides, the more it happens, the more we would learn on how to improve it.

Well, those would be my 2 cents anyway.

Last edited:
How important is the sleeve logo layout? The template and presentation style I'm going for only has one sleeve showing and it's the one that would have the apparel logo. I'd rather show the league logo so could I flip them around (like how they do for the Australian team depending on the player's preferred arm) or should I flip the template around?

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
Disappointed to hear. I think you probably more than a lot of others here would be able to nail the traditional spirit of the comp. I hope you have a look around and find something that can be adjusted into a baggy cap.

Oh trust me I have looked. Nothing looks even close that would work with the rest of the template elements I have.

Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
True, but it would still be closer to that than what we usually have around here (or at least different). It might be worth a shot. Besides, the more it happens, the more we would learn on how to improve it.

Well, those would be my 2 cents anyway.
Enter a couple of comps GP. You don't improve by bringing people down to your level.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
I read the intro to this and was wondering why I didn't participate in this the last time. Then I got to the baggy cap part and it all came back to me.

So long story short, as with last time, I don't have the right cap template, and I am not making one, so as much as I want to do this, I am out.
I didn't really have a baggy cap template at all. I just used the Yellow images hat template, made up my hat design, and then when it was a png I just warped it into the shape of a baggy cap.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
welcome to the club
Someone has posted a thread for me:

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
If there are more than five, I need to be down as well. I’m at the the bottom level.
welcome to the club

Learn by doing my bros, even the legitimate professional designers on the board started somewhere! If you enjoy sports design and want to get involved, the best way to improve is to just keep having a crack at these competitions and learning every time.

If you have any questions about how people are achieving certain things, feel free to ask. There are great tutorials all over the board and we have some very helpful members here.

Back