FTA-TV Offsiders

Remove this Banner Ad

Since when did this show become the women's sport version of Offsiders?

Today they spent the majority of the show talking about women's soccer, women's cricket, some female jockey and the women's AFL and then in the last few minutes had a quick discussion about the men's AFL and NRL.

They should seriously have two versions of Offsiders, one for women's sport and one for men's sport as the show has become a joke with how much women's sport they shoehorn into the show these days just to appear to be woke and politically correct.
This is why I’ve stopped watching

Depends on the guests for me. Peter Lalor and Gideon Haigh are always must watches. Simon Hill is giving it more gravitas as well. Katherine Murphy is measured and knows her s**t.

Roy Masters and Caro can get in the bin. Ditto that SMH writer who is in complete denial about the fact that her sport Rugby Union is dying. The excitable ex netballer glamazon is also grating.

Last edited:
Agree that Peter Lalor and Gideon Haigh are pretty good when they are talking cricket and Simon Hill is good with soccer talk but Catherine Murphy is pretty hopeless with her knowledge of sport, not sure why the ABC thought hiring a woman from Ireland to talk about Australian sport was a good idea.

Paul Kennedy and Tony Armstrong are much better when it comes to the regular ABC sports presenters but I guess that makes me sexist.

BRIDIE O'DONNELL
COLLINGWOOD BOARD

Yeah, nah.

It was weird having her on the panel and having a discussion about whether fandom matters with sporting club boards, but then not using the opportunity to ask her what her motivation was.

I guess that's Offsiders in a nutshell these days - just keeping up appearances.

BRIDIE O'DONNELL
COLLINGWOOD BOARD

Yeah, nah.

It was weird having her on the panel and having a discussion about whether fandom matters with sporting club boards, but then not using the opportunity to ask her what her motivation was.

I guess that's Offsiders in a nutshell these days - just keeping up appearances.

I just assumed she was some mate of the host too. It did seem a bit weird having her on.

First 17 1/2 mins of the episode today was primarily about Covid aspect of Tokyo (should it have gone ahead? no crowds) and the Coates-Premier exchange.

:poo:

Really poor form when the Olympics is already underway and we just secured the 2032 games. Sooooo much to talk about, just really poor agenda item selection today, just not in the right spirit.

Well I thought it was one of the better ones, so there you go, each to their own I guess. I found the whole Coates saga fascinating. Surely even his supporters could see how (at best) clumsy the exchange was, and how someone in that sort of position should be much more aware of what they're doing.

Something tells me Kim Crow wasn’t much interested in the hoopla or hijinks aspect of the Olympic Games experience :sweatsmile:

I did enjoy hearing some genuine disagreement and a range of viewpoints regarding Coates/Palasczuk.

Very surprised that they are still giving the Melbourne Cup oxygen with the reactionary way they cover things on the program. Thought they'd be team 'Nup to the Cup'. Katherine Murphy is posh Irish so of course she still flies the flag for that (and rugby).

Very surprised that they are still giving the Melbourne Cup oxygen with the reactionary way they cover things on the program. Thought they'd be team 'Nup to the Cup'. Katherine Murphy is posh Irish so of course she still flies the flag for that (and rugby).

I've become a very selective watcher so I didn't see the Cup episode. Did she do her usual shtick and just reel off a bunch of stats? Good reporter and presenter, but I've never felt that Offsiders is her strongest work.

Very surprised that they are still giving the Melbourne Cup oxygen with the reactionary way they cover things on the program.
That is surprising; normally they offer something along the lines of "its the troika of evil!! - gambling, cruelty to animals and alcohol abuse!!" :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A great love-in for Tim Paine this morning.

The story and its coverage has more holes than Swiss cheese but instead we got the ‘go easy on him’ angle. Fine, but let’s not pretend the panel’s attitude would be the same if it were someone more controversial.

Offsiders used to be a weekend highlight for me as I listened and watched Barrie Cassidy and then Gerard Whately bring their passion and knowledge to the fore.
I now find it very hard to watch, Kelly Underwood really doesn't have the same gravitas and while there are some excellent guests, including female commentators, I think it is someone called Sharnie that is loud and shrill that epitomises the changes - her talking reminds me of fingernails on a chalkboard!
I really do think it has lost its way and misses the expertise and passion from Barrie and Gerard combined with missing out on people like Australian coaches in Soccer and Netball.

Offsiders used to be a weekend highlight for me as I listened and watched Barrie Cassidy and then Gerard Whately bring their passion and knowledge to the fore.
I now find it very hard to watch, Kelly Underwood really doesn't have the same gravitas and while there are some excellent guests, including female commentators, I think it is someone called Sharnie that is loud and shrill that epitomises the changes - her talking reminds me of fingernails on a chalkboard!
I really do think it has lost its way and misses the expertise and passion from Barrie and Gerard combined with missing out on people like Australian coaches in Soccer and Netball.

I actually think Sharni Norder is one of the best of the recent additions. Forget the voice or her 'Bounce' buffoon reputation - she tries to deliver insight and opinion. However I can't say that for many of the current Offsiders generation.

I agree that it isn't the show it was. Too many agendas, too many poorly researched guests and too gushy. It's gone from 'must watch' to a show about which I'm very selective. Gerard Whateley could be irritating (he editorialised his guests too much and allowed too much time for horse racing) but the discussion could still be unique and revealing.

Having Roy and Caro on together as well as having Kelli Underwood hold her Serena Williams fan club meeting half way through the show was like taking the show back 10 years.

Did I really hear them say this morning that the AFLW has a lot of work to do to catch up with the NRLW because there were a couple of blowouts in the AFLW but the NRLW had a couple of close games? It didn't sound tongue in cheek, but it had to be, surely?

Today is surely the last we see of Roy, sans maybe some short guest appearances around Origin and the GF. It's only a matter of time before he says something completely unhinged.

What happened?

Roy reckons the media focussed too much on Latrell Mitchell being racially abused, and should've instead focussed on Penrith's losing streak (including something about the World Club Championship that no one cares about.)

Stupid old man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back