2021 NON AFL Thread - finance, ratings, participation etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
The only problem is would the afl see that and say 'we already have high participation rates there why do we need a new club, let's expand somewhere with more scope for new participants/fans.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
Interesting stats from the link. Australian football had more than double the participation of both rugby union and league combined in the ACT.

Australian football had 8,306 participants; rugby league had 1,088; and rugby union had 2,592.

Not bad for a rugby town.

Pity it doesn't translate to TV ratings (and even if it did, that would be worth next to nothing).

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The only problem is would the afl see that and say 'we already have high participation rates there why do we need a new club, let's expand somewhere with more scope for new participants/fans.

Canberra still has a lower participation rate than Vic, SA, WA, Tasmania or the NT, so there is plenty of room to grow in Canberra. Much more room to grow than Tasmania, the NT or even WA3.

But one of the arguments that constantly comes up is that "Canberra's a rugby town" so it doesn't deserve a team or couldn't compete against the rugbies. This is just another stat that shows it can be an AFL town.

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No or soccer would be massively more popular than it is here

Soccer (along with netball) has high participation because it's easy. I have played both and haven't been to see a professional game of either.

I don't have the stats, but there would have to be some correlation for contact sports' participation and viewership in Australia.

And at the very least, those numbers dispell the myth that Canberra's only a "rugby town'".

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Former FIFA boss Sepp Blatter, UEFA president Michel Platini charged with fraud in Switzerland

This is a good news sports story & any trial will have repercussions for any other 'cosy fiefdom' anywhere. That the issue is exposed in Court will allow the defendants their legal rights.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. Two Federal govt. agencies, Sports Integrity Australia, & the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission, will be investigating the ownership & involvement of foreign companies & foreign govts. into the shady ownership/links of some A League clubs (re "sportswashing" some countries' very poor human rights' records; & Soft Power etc- to improve the image of some corrupt, or "hostile" countries, for political/strategic purposes etc).

Only grand finals - which were poorly attended. Other games don't have reported crowds, so I'm limited to highlights videos of games which pretty much always show no evidence of more than a few hundred in attendance.
Can you be more precise- what is the average crowd of the Qld Cup RL GF without Redcliffe, prior to 2020 covid, in the last 5 years; & when Redcliffe played in the GF?

Are you saying that, in Qld Cup home games, Redcliffe only averages "a few hundred in attendance" at its c. 11k home ground in Redcliffe?
(If so, IMO, average Qld Cup home crowds at Redcliffe of a few hundred provides little confidence The Dolphins will average (not inc. Broncos' games) 15K+ crowds when it plays at Suncorp, c. 40km from Redcliffe).

No or soccer would be massively more popular than it is here
Dr H. Fujak's recent 2021 book provided survey results that clearly demonstrated that participation in a sport has a direct & significant correlation to a sports' current & future attendance at its pro comps., & general interest etc. ie those who played a sport are far more likely to be strong fans of that sport.

Furthermore, when Australia plays in the soccer World Cup, some of these matches often attract average ratings of 1-2m; & the recent Matildas' match against Brazil, IIRC, had a ratings of c. 450k- excellent for women's sport.

May I request you post some of Fujak's graphs etc. here, re the strong importance of participation being directly relevant to the overall popularity of a sport?

Last edited:

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
1. Two Federal govt. agencies, Sports Integrity Australia, & the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission, will be investigating the ownership & involvement of foreign companies & foreign govts. into the shady ownership/links of some A League clubs (re "sportswashing" some countries' very poor human rights' records; & Soft Power etc- to improve the image of some corrupt, or "hostile" countries, for political/strategic purposes etc).

Can you be more precise- what is the average crowd of the Qld Cup RL GF without Redcliffe, prior to 2020 covid, in the last 5 years; & when Redcliffe played in the GF?

Are you saying that, in Qld Cup home games, Redcliffe only averages "a few hundred in attendance" at its c. 11k home ground in Redcliffe?
(If so, IMO, average Qld Cup home crowds at Redcliffe of a few hundred provides little confidence The Dolphins will average (not inc. Broncos' games) 15K+ crowds when it plays at Suncorp, c. 40km from Redcliffe).

Dr H. Fujak's recent 2021 book provided survey results that clearly demonstrated that participation in a sport has a direct & significant correlation to a sports' current & future attendance at its pro comps., & general interest etc. ie those who played a sport are far more likely to be strong fans of that sport.

Furthermore, when Australia plays in the soccer World Cup, some of these matches often attract average ratings of 1-2m; & the recent Matildas' match against Brazil, IIRC, had a ratings of c. 450k- excellent for women's sport.

May I request you post some of Fujak's graphs etc. here, re the strong importance of participation being directly relevant to the overall popularity of a sport?
What a good idea by the Feds. Russia and China particularly are dedicated to the undermining of our Western Societies and they have a long term insiduous way of doing it.
Not saying in this case that they are but a check up is good.
However if they are trying to leverage off sport to do it - It needs to be scrutinised and sadly most of my countrymen do not give a toss if they are.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

Dunno, but the couple of grand finals involving Redcliffe that have reported crowds in the last decade have drawn well below 10k.

Like I said, i'm only going off highlights on youtube of games that show virtually nobody in attendance. Their most recent home final - not that long ago - also seemed to draw very poorly. There was virtually no one on 3 sides of the ground, with very little noise when the home team scored. And this was a final at a time when you'd think there would have been a fair bit of excitement around the bid. I would have thought they'd try and draw on that - "Let's fill the ground to show the NRL how great we are" sort of thing.

Clearly this isn't categorical proof of anything though, just anecdotal stuff. Is there evidence out there of a club with anything more than a tiny fanbase?

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Im not sure why this has fallen to me when youve clearly got a copy of the book.

participagtionvtvviewingsydney.PNG

interestparticipationappendix.PNG
annualisedgooglesearch2004-2019.PNG
attendanceagainstaflstandard.PNG
attendingatleastonegame.PNG
googlesearchovertime.PNG

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
:thumbsu: ... & I'm still unable to link participation at any level with crowds for any sport at the highest level. Analysis paralysis.

The Fujak charts clearly make the link between interest and participation

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
I think participation makes a big difference for the AFL, especially in the Northern states, where families might be drawn to the game for the very first time (because of Auskick and the like). You hear time and again about parents who knew nothing about Australian Football, may even have shown antipathy towards it, but that changes once they have a child moving up the ranks.
Having said that, the soccer experience shows that interest does not move in direct proportion to participation, and viewed from the opposite perspective, the NFL tells us that participation does not drive viewership or attendances.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
I agree I think it matters in northern States to expose kids and parents to a new sport to Garner some interest. On the other hand the strategy of the NRL to now focus on participation in states that already have widespread NRL coverage wouldn't have the same impact I don't think.

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
Pretty ordinary 23,314 crowd at the Socceroos match against Saudi Arabia on Thursday night in Parramatta! I wonder what the excuses will be?

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty ordinary 23,314 crowd at the Socceroos match against Saudi Arabia on Thursday night in Parramatta! I wonder what the excuses will be?

I had just assumed it was limited capacity. It wasn't?

Fair enough when the Socceroos are playing Yemen in the 2nd round but that has got to be disappointing for the final group phase in the qualifiers when you are playing at home to the other top two team

Just checked the ratings. 447K metro with no foxtel / kayo (10 streaming would only be a fraction of these relatively) is somewhere between ho hum and OK. Would be surprised if it got more viewers in total than the worst NRL prime time game this year.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Stirring the Melbourne/Sydney battle, tongue in cheek look at the F1 AGP location with Melbourne paying to keep the gig whilst Covid locks it out.

'Some years ago, The Herald Sun exclusively revealed that the overall cost of the five-year Melbourne F1 contract was $50m for the 2015 year. For some reason, four successive state governments had kept this secret for almost two decades. So, post-Covid you would expect the bastions of Bleak City would be sending F1 owners Liberty Media Corporation (NASDAQ: FWONK, $80 last close) an annual cheque for $70m.

So, is $80m a fair price for Sydney to pay? As we’ll see the price of hosting the traditionally powered petrol vehicles is about to jump, but all the local pollies would have to do is divert the fines from two well placed speed cameras for a year, so maybe $80m is a steal.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back