Opinion Should The Adelaide Scoreboard Be Moved

Do You want the Adelaide Scoreboard relocated to erect another stand

• Yes - Add another Stand, make the ground complete, relocate Scoreboard - rip those bloody trees out

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • No - We retain the Scoreboard, and not erect another stand - retain those Moreton Bay Fig Trees

Votes: 55 63.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a complete hypothetical, given (IMO anyway) there's no economic case for expanded capacity when the current stadium is only filled a few times a year, if that.

Edit: I will concede relapse's point about the AFC membership waiting list, I don't know how much impact that would have in a business case, though.

Just on the trees, though - Google tells me they were planted in 1890, and that the lifespan of a Moreton Bay Fig is about 100 years. So they're 130 years old, and may be approaching end of life. There'll be heck to pay when they start showing signs of near-death and the arborists recommend cutting them down.

Even though the matchday tickets are not always being sold out, the club still has an extensive waiting list for reserve seat memberships.

This has been a problem since Footy Park and sadly was never addressed when Adelaide Oval was redeveloped.

I've been arguing for 65k since day dot and the reason I've been arguing for it is because being stuck at a 50k capacity ground has financially disadvantaged the club in terms of lost membership sales for decades and also restricts the club from being able to grow.
It doesn't really restrict the club financially though, they can raise membership prices year on year until the wait list drops to zero

We should knock the scoreboard and trees down and build a grandstand. Ground capacity 75k

Then build a time machine and go back to when the grand final was moved from the MCG so that we can host it

Even though the matchday tickets are not always being sold out, the club still has an extensive waiting list for reserve seat memberships.

This has been a problem since Footy Park and sadly was never addressed when Adelaide Oval was redeveloped.

I've been arguing for 65k since day dot and the reason I've been arguing for it is because being stuck at a 50k capacity ground has financially disadvantaged the club in terms of lost membership sales for decades and also restricts the club from being able to grow.

On the contrary, the retention of membership packages when the team is woeful is driven by the fear that people won't be able to buy back in if and when the corner is turned. This also allows the club to designate more of the oval as some sort of premium seating (and therefore raising revenue) in the way that MCG tenants can't.

Doesn't Adelaide Oval only get a few sellout crowds a year? Both Showdowns, maybe a final, and that's it?

You'd be lucky to get over 50k to any cricket match there except the Ashes
So who raised the idea of getting another stand at the expense of the scoreboard ?

Last edited:
We should knock the scoreboard and trees down and build a grandstand. Ground capacity 75k

Then build a time machine and go back to when the grand final was moved from the MCG so that we can host it

oh you guys.gif

It doesn't really restrict the club financially though, they can raise membership prices year on year until the wait list drops to zero

It does if we have potential membership sales parked because we can't facilitate them.

Every 1000 potential memberships that don't have the ability to sell would work out to be about 300k in lost membership revenue.

It also restricts our ability to be able to grow that ticketed membership base too.

On the contrary, the retention of membership packages when the team is woeful is driven by the fear that people won't be able to buy back in if and when the corner is turned. This also allows the club to designate more of the oval as some sort of premium seating (and therefore raising revenue) in the way that MCG tenants can't.

That's a fair point

if the capacity was higher and memberships were more readily available it definitely opens the door for there to be significant peaks and troughs with our membership numbers.

That's a fair point

if the capacity was higher and memberships were more readily available there's definitely opens the door for there to be significant peaks and troughs with our membership numbers.
This was the reason Etihad Stadium was restricted to $50K .....designed to force Club Members to signup urgently and retain the annual memberships

Home club like ESS have way more members than seats available at Etihad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then build a time machine

We already have a few. Pick one.

tumblr_mvr3y5KL931rnq3cto1_500.gif

01ee337ac2cfd2df441fd9335e3f6620.gif

1VvuOQ.gif

We can also send someone back in time and head into the AFL Head Office to f**k up the MCG contract.

4ff7a36c9259eed1b745f230ad7eed1674af4a67.gifv

I feel this is a made up controversy because not much is happening footy wise and absolutely no one wants to move the scoreboard.

I'm not intereated in moving it, would be happy to demolish or set it on fire.

If people want to move it to Karen Rolton Oval or Adelaide Oval #2 , go for it.

The scoreboard has no place in a stadium for AFL.

Great for cricket when not much is happening- check out the scoreboard, look at the trees, bask on the hill, admire the Cathedral.

All of this is not suitable for a winter, national sport.

This is the AFC board, what is best for the AFC is to finish the AO by building the last stand at the Northern end = more 11 game season ticket holders = more AFC revenue.

To suggest otherwise is fanciful and not in the best interests of the AFC.

I don't give 2 shits about cricket numpties lying on the grass watching the Jellybacks capitulate, the hill in rhe middle of winter in a capacity venue is ridiculous.

The Eiffel Tower does stuff all too

Prime real estate. Replace it with commercial units or housing. Something more practical
It was a 12 - 18 month temporary structure ....those damn french are so slow in dismantling ....don't worry though, it's on the "to do list"

I'm not intereated in moving it, would be happy to demolish or set it on fire.

If people want to move it to Karen Rolton Oval or Adelaide Oval #2 , go for it.

The scoreboard has no place in a stadium for AFL.

Great for cricket when not much is happening- check out the scoreboard, look at the trees, bask on the hill, admire the Cathedral.

All of this is not suitable for a winter, national sport.

This is the AFC board, what is best for the AFC is to finish the AO by building the last stand at the Northern end = more 11 game season ticket holders = more AFC revenue.

To suggest otherwise is fanciful and not in the best interests of the AFC.

I don't give 2 shits about cricket numpties lying on the grass watching the Jellybacks capitulate, the hill in rhe middle of winter in a capacity venue is ridiculous.

The problem is that Adelaide Oval was beautiful (it isn’t anymore) and they tried to play it by halves (shades of the Expressway?).

If you wanted to keep AO as the boutique, world-famous cricket ground it was, it should’ve just been left alone. Build a new, big-capacity stadium somewhere else.

Now it’s stuck as an in-between venue.

And to be honest, the more time goes on, the more that northern end annoys me. It’s kind of an embarrassing look after the novelty of playing AFL at the venue wore off.

The problem is that Adelaide Oval was beautiful (it isn’t anymore) and they tried to play it by halves (shades of the Expressway?).

If you wanted to keep AO as the boutique, world-famous cricket ground it was, it should’ve just been left alone. Build a new, big-capacity stadium somewhere else.

Now it’s stuck as an in-between venue.

And to be honest, the more time goes on, the more that northern end annoys me. It’s kind of an embarrassing look after the novelty of playing AFL at the venue wore off.
Everyone marvelled at the new Adelaide Oval .....ripping atmosphere, picturesque .....many saying best stadium in the country

Few short years later, Optus is built .....and "keeping up with the jones" mentality kicks in ......it's Football Park all over again

You can't keep building new stadiums every 5 years, because the shiny new toy starts to tarnish a little

Back