Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched 'Behind the curve' on Netflix last night

A documentary about Flat Earth conspiracy

It was pretty good actually, some of the characters are pretty funny with their crazy ideas too. The thing that was the most interesting is a hell of a lot of the Flat Earthers actually seem like smart people and got into it with the idea of debunking the system, but once they went down the rabbit hole they just couldn't escape it

And then there is the usual the whole world is a conspiracy type people too.

The main guy Mark Sargent seems to love the fame he gets from being the face of the movement

Either way for a kooky conspiracy it was pretty entertaining

Last edited:
I watched 'Behind the curve' on Netflix last night

A documentary about Flat Earth conspiracy

It was pretty good actually, some of the characters are pretty funny with their crazy ideas too. The thing that was the most interesting is a hell of a lot of the Flat Earthers actually seem like smart people and got into it with the idea of debunking the system, but once they went down the rabbit hole they just couldn't escape it

And then there is the usual the whole world is a conspiracy type people too.

The main guy Mark Sargent seems to love the fame he gets from being the face of the movement

Either way for s kooky conspiracy it was pretty entertaining

Great docco. I loved how the documentary didn't simply go the easy route of poking fun at its subjects. It was more empathetic and tried to figure out what drew them all to that collective.

Seems like all of them were basically lonely people with not a lot of purpose in their life. Finding a group of people to hang out with seemed to be the main draw for most of them and being a part of a welcoming community makes it that much harder to escape, because doing so for them would mean losing all those people they've made a genuine connection with.

The only people the doco was truly disdainful of were the obvious grifters who were clearly trying to exploit the naivete of those within the groups.

The most depressing moment was when the kid who was indoctrinated by his parents stood up and thanked Sargent at one of the conferences.

Last edited:
Haven't seen the doco but sounds like a Louis theroux style in regards to getting an understanding of the flat earther's rather than making fun of them.
Yeah just in a different format

Louis Theroux interviews the people and places himself in their shoes. In this there really isn't even a narrator other than maybe the main character (Sargent)

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Love going to Asia and having noodle soups for breakfast. Whether a hearty beef broth with hunks of braised meat in Taiwan or a nice chicken pho in Vietnam, there's nothing better

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Great docco. I loved how the documentary didn't simpy go the easy route of poking fun at its subjects. It was more empathetic and triedto figure out what drew them all to that collective.

Seems like all of them were basically lonely people with not a lot of purpose in their life. Finding a group of people to hang out with seemed to be the main draw for most of them and being a part of a welcoming community makes it that much harder to escape, because doing so for them would mean losing all those people they've made a genuine connection with.

The only people the doco was truly disdainful of were the obvious grifters who were clearly trying to exploit the naivite of those within the groups.

The most depressing moment was when the kid who was indoctrinated by his parents stood up and thanked Sargent at one of the conferences.

I watched a small piece on Qanon on youtube (Channel 5 news is the channel). It was actually really sad to see some of the people part of the movement, one lady clearly was only there because she was lonely and wanted to be a 'part' of something.

The people who organize these movements are truly vile but a lot of the normal joes that believe in it I feel genuine sympathy for.

I watched a small piece on Qanon on youtube (Channel 5 news is the channel). It was actually really sad to see some of the people part of the movement, one lady clearly was only there because she was lonely and wanted to be a 'part' of something.

The people who organize these movements are truly vile but a lot of the normal joes that believe in it I feel genuine sympathy for.

There's definitely a lot of carry over from flat-earthers to Qanon too.

Scientology operates in a similar way, building a community for the lonely/outsiders who feel they don't fit in anywhere then taking them down the rabbit hole (and a bunch of their $)

Great docco. I loved how the documentary didn't simpy go the easy route of poking fun at its subjects. It was more empathetic and triedto figure out what drew them all to that collective.

The only people the doco was truly disdainful of were the obvious grifters who were clearly trying to exploit the naivite of those within the groups.

Towards the end one of the scientists has a good point about pushing these people on the fringe away. The scientists mocking the flat earthers and shunning them only pushes them further towards their beliefs

It's like a teacher blaming the student for not learning the subject rather than trying harder to teach them to understand

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Let's be 100% serious though, people believing in flat Earth or bigfoot or whatever it is, is actually no dumber than believing in God or Jesus.

Last edited:
I don't believe in God but I think it's very possible that jesus existed, I don't believe he had magical powers though.
Yeah I'll agree with that

David Copperfield off the BC era

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

He had a good following on twitter in Judea, a lot of people sharing his tweets but only limited to that area, then one day Constantine (the Roman equivalent of a kardashian) shared his tweets and suddenly he had followers all over the world.

He had a good following on twitter in Judea, a lot of people sharing his tweets but only limited to that area, then one day Constantine (the Roman equivalent of a kardashian) shared his tweets and suddenly he had followers all over the world.
Got cancelled pretty hard at one point though.

Lol, that might prove difficult. Perhaps BCE would be more accurate.

Crisp pork belly noodle salad

A new recipe tonight, pretty ******* amazing
936a1538385f1280b15e862d3266c1f3.jpg

That looks fantastic.
Not the type of dish I would normally make but I'm glad I branched out

It was bloody amazing and the kids liked it (well one did anyway)

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I made my own corn tortillas yesterday - like went to the trouble of making the dough and flattening them in a tortilla press. They are great. Much better than store bought, though a bit time consuming with me reading up instructions as I go. Hopefully I can get the knack of doing it more easily

95385D4E-73F5-4F05-9D47-E80699EC0A19.jpeg

So not my bbq

LeBonTon in Collingwood, one of my favourite joints and man it never disappoints
5a4bc8e7f60c7b188d353b9c453a225e.jpg

Awesome! I've been there once a few years ago - was excellent.
I reckon I've been 7 or 8 times now, everytime it has been fantastic

So not my bbq

LeBonTon in Collingwood, one of my favourite joints and man it never disappoints
5a4bc8e7f60c7b188d353b9c453a225e.jpg

Damn I have to do this when I go down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back