Rumour And they say Footballers are dumb - got nothing on their WAGs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

How is that dumb? It is pointing out that we still have racism in Australia and if Cleo was not white perhaps there would not have been the same media coverage or police resources in the case.

ChesterTreasure

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
What she wrote was offensive and shows complete disrespect to the members of the WA Police Force who worked tirelessly in order to achieve an outcome that no-one in Australia imagined was possible after 18 days.
Having listened to numerous podcasts by ex Homicide Detectives from all over Australia and also the Life and Crimes podcast by Andrew Rule, each Detective has stated that the cases that most affected them involved the abduction and murder or disappearance of children and in particular, Indigenous children.
Jesinta would have no idea what happens in the real world, far away from her privileged lifestyle and anyone that thinks she originally posted for any other reason than to obtain likes on Instagram is as stupid as she is.
I very much doubt that she would be able to name one case involving an Indigenous child who has ever been abducted and she would definitely have no idea as to how many have been taken compared to other children.
I would suggest that her idea of reading a newspaper would be limited to the social pages - too many big words in all the important articles.

Profop

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
It’s not a dumb view if it’s accurate.

That being said I can’t find any information about any current indigenous missing children that have been taken by strangers, which means either she’s correct and they don’t get the recognition or that in reality there just aren’t that many children that are snatched up by strangers indigenous or otherwise.

At ChesterTreasure there have been, in the last six months, two Aboriginal children go missing that I am aware of, there could be more.

One went missing in the Northern Terriority in December and has still not been reported as missing in the media.

The second went missing early August and again no media coverage and in was reunited with his family late September.

There seems to be a train of thought that because these are children in care, that they have runaway and that they are with family somewhere.

While this may sometimes be the case, initially that may not be what’s happened and Jacinta is correct in that the reporting is very different and that it can be weeks before it appears in the media rather than immediately.

Footnote: Please do not at me re: 4yrs old, abduction, blah blah blah - this is not what the thread is about

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
At ChesterTreasure there have been, in the last six months, two Aboriginal children go missing that I am aware of, there could be more.

One went missing in the Northern Terriority in December and has still not been reported as missing in the media.

The second went missing early August and again no media coverage and in was reunited with his family late September.

There seems to be a train of thought that because these are children in care, that they have runaway and that they are with family somewhere.

While this may sometimes be the case, initially that may not be what’s happened and Jacinta is correct in that the reporting is very different and that it can be weeks before it appears in the media rather than immediately.

Footnote: Please do not at me re: 4yrs old, abduction, blah blah blah - this is not what the thread is about

This thread was just created because the OP wants to somehow "prove" racism isn't real in Australia or something like that.

cherrypie

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What she wrote was offensive and shows complete disrespect to the members of the WA Police Force who worked tirelessly in order to achieve an outcome that no-one in Australia imagined was possible after 18 days.
Having listened to numerous podcasts by ex Homicide Detectives from all over Australia and also the Life and Crimes podcast by Andrew Rule, each Detective has stated that the cases that most affected them involved the abduction and murder or disappearance of children and in particular, Indigenous children.
Jesinta would have no idea what happens in the real world, far away from her privileged lifestyle and anyone that thinks she originally posted for any other reason than to obtain likes on Instagram is as stupid as she is.
I very much doubt that she would be able to name one case involving an Indigenous child who has ever been abducted and she would definitely have no idea as to how many have been taken compared to other children.
I would suggest that her idea of reading a newspaper would be limited to the social pages - too many big words in all the important articles.
Did you actually read what she said? Her issue isn’t with the police, but with the media coverage. In fact she actually commends the police and wishes the media would assist them in more cases.

"I can’t help but think about the disparity that exists in this country between missing children who are white and Indigenous children when it comes to the visibility and coverage of the case"

"I have no doubt the widespread broadcasting of information in regards to the case assisted the phenomenal efforts of the WA police force"

Please explain how this is disrespectful to police

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

She never once had a go at the police. Read what she said. It was entirely directed at media coverage. If you think there is no difference in the way the mainstream media in Australia (think News Ltd, 7 etc) covers different races, then you are stupid.

She said there is a disparity "when it comes to the visibility and coverage of the case" and that potentially the social media coverage contributed to the police being able to find her.

I disagree she wouldn't be able to name missing Indigenous children, BUT, if she can't, then does that not prove her point? You've actually made her argument for her by saying "I bet she can't name missing Indigenous kids because you need to dig deep to know about them, not just hear about them in mainstream media".

How is that dumb? It is pointing out that we still have racism in Australia and if Cleo was not white perhaps there would not have been the same media coverage or police resources in the case.
The timing was ******* horrible, I don't know how anyone could argue against that

A little girl who has been abducted for 18 days has just been found alive and what appears to be well, which the fact she was found alive is amazing.

The nation is celebrating this moment, yet within an hours someone wants to make this a ******* race inequity issue? I mean ffs read the room, when was this every a race issue? I know had the little girl been black, aboriginal, half cast, indian, asian, whatever I think 99% of people would have felt the same emotions they did with her.

So wait a week or so until everything dies down and then make your point about race inequity, which isn't a bad point at all just a tasteless time to bring it up

But then the cynic in me thinks she wanted to push her point across when emotions of the public were heightened and quickly did the back flip when the abductor turned out to be from the same group of people that she was trying to bring up in the issue of inequity

Last edited:
It’s never a good time - same response, different topic

There is no better time than now. The media are milking every moment of the return and the public are soaking it up. Meanwhile there’s still kids missing - why not use this time to highlight that and put their faces out there.

GWT6

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2011
Western Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Settle down Pauline's burner account, she didn't say anything bad about the police, so stop making s**t up.

She's married to an indigenous man who is from Northwestern WA - I'm pretty sure she has more knowledge on this than you.

It’s never a good time - same response, different topic

There is no better time than now. The media are milking every moment of the return and the public are soaking it up. Meanwhile there’s still kids missing - why not use this time to highlight that and put their faces out there.
I had a similar thought re timing
It’s the perfect time because of the massive interest and media spotlight on Cleo’s abduction and safe return, it’s very much in the public zeitgeist

I mean we are talking about the issue on a footy forum simply because of her post, if she had made the post at a different “more appropriate” time I doubt op would of felt outraged enough to make the thread

The timing was ******* horrible, I don't know how anyone could argue against that

A little girl who has been abducted for 18 days has just been found alive and what appears to be well, which the fact she was found alive is amazing.

The nation is celebrating this moment, yet within an hours someone wants to make this a ******* race inequity issue? I mean ffs read the room, when was this every a race issue? I know had the little girl been black, aboriginal, half cast, indian, asian, whatever I think 99% of people would have felt the same emotions they did with her.

So wait a week or so until everything dies down and then make your point about race inequity, which isn't a bad point at all just a tasteless time to bring it up

But then the cynic in me thinks she wanted to push her point across when emotions of the public were heightened and quickly did the back flip when the abductor turned out to be from the same group of people that she was trying to bring up in the issue of inequity
You “know” that “had the little girl been black, aboriginal, half cast, indian, asian, whatever I think 99% of people would have felt the same emotions they did with her.”?

Fantasy.

You “know” that “had the little girl been black, aboriginal, half cast, indian, asian, whatever I think 99% of people would have felt the same emotions they did with her.”?

Fantasy.
cool bro

Do we need to turn everything in to a racist, them vs. us bullshit s**t fight?

The color of the girls skin or ethnicity, the same as the alleged abductors skin colour or ethnicity should be irrelevant

Just celebrate the fact a little girl beat the odds of being found alive after being abducted 18 days prior. And maybe admit that it was in poor taste the instagram post by Jesinta Campbell. I mean she obviously realised it was bad timing and hence why she removed it

cool bro

Do we need to turn everything in to a racist, them vs. us bullshit sh*t fight?

The color of the girls skin or ethnicity, the same as the alleged abductors skin colour or ethnicity should be irrelevant

Just celebrate the fact a little girl beat the odds of being found alive after being abducted 18 days prior. And maybe admit that it was in poor taste the instagram post by Jesinta Campbell. I mean she obviously realised it was bad timing and hence why she removed it
Reality bites.

Do you think deaths in custody would get a little more traction if it was 470+ white guys from the streets of Melbourne being found dead in their cells since 1991?

And yeah, when one group of people are continually overlooked, walked over and forgotten it’s damn right that we should be starting a s**t fight about the disparity every time we see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back