Injury Fremantle 2023 Injury Thread

Jan 23, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Any qualified medicos here?

It doesn’t sound good. Likelihood of full recovery? If he can’t even run till Christmas that’s a best case. I have a bad feeling about this a “TBA” type medical injury list type feeling.

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
The available information (from Bell's statement) is he has an infection, he will have 2-3 weeks of antibiotics IV and rest, and they will make further assessment and provide an update after that.
If that doesn't sound like it raises the possibility of a septic arthritis, I don't know what to say. And if he has septic arthritis in a ball and socket joint, he probably ain't ever getting full function back.
Nothing to worry about though, our surgeon is tops. Despite the fact that his first operation failed and Fyfe had to have a redo, he's tops. Even if he's introduced infection into the joint, he's tops. Nothing to see here.

His initial surgery was in Melb, recent surgery must have been in Perth, which is where the Infection started.

So different surgeons I assume.. we seem to have a track record of infections causing significant grief/
Infections in our players so want to know who and where!

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
Would have had a latarjet reconstruction initially, the bone graft in that either fractured or didn’t take properly so they had to redo it

I’m assuming it’s just a superficial wound infection because he would be an inpatient again if it was worse (like he was with the elbow drain), and/or he would have had a further debridement procedure

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
If it's in the joint itself it's uncommon and the fault of the surgeon or assistants. If it's just a wound infection sure that can happen regularly, but that wouldn't typically need 3 weeks of intravenous antibiotics and rest.
Depends on what type of infection occurs as to the time on antibiotics.

If it's something like a MRSA staph infection which is common, it can take months to treat.

I had MRSA last year from compartment syndrome surgery and it took 5 months of antibiotics and 8 months to heal. That was on the extreme scale of infection though.

Best of luck with his recovery as nobody likes to see the champions of the game on the sidelines.

Depends on what type of infection occurs as to the time on antibiotics.

If it's something like a MRSA staph infection which is common, it can take months to treat.

I had MRSA last year from compartment syndrome surgery and it took 5 months of antibiotics and 8 months to heal. That was on the extreme scale of infection though.

Best of luck with his recovery as nobody likes to see the champions of the game on the sidelines.
Right back at you, compartment syndrome surgery is brutal, borderline medieval stuff.

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
Right back at you, compartment syndrome surgery is brutal, borderline medieval stuff.
I had a terrible year last year, lucky to be alive as I had an aortic dissection to start it all off.

For those interested, google cellulitis as well as MRSA infections. Those types of infections are more common than first thought of and will give you a bit of insight as to the severity of infections coming out of surgery.

Hopefully Fyfey doesn't get to that stage.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
But how can we be using the wrong surgeons as a club, if we are only following other clubs using the same surgeons.
It's not about the surgeons, it's about blaming someone for anything that goes wrong. The club must always be at fault in some people's eyes.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
It's not about the surgeons, it's about blaming someone for anything that goes wrong. The club must always be at fault in some people's eyes.
I can't confidently say that as a club we have been operating close to "best practice" in any facet of our operations for any sustained period. We do a fair bit of improvement here and there, but we also seem to slip in other areas.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Losing someone like Morabitto was definitely bad luck that had a significant impact on us. But over a long period of time luck becomes less relevant and you need to look at the factors you can control.

Luck is always a factor. Management, decision making, personel, processes and practices are controllable. For what it's worth, it looked to me like Morabito wasn't just bad luck.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Garlick on radio this evening was saying that Fyfe has had to deal with a similar infection before - which was the elbow infection post-surgery in 2019.

Also repeated the approx 3 weeks out of training/recovery diagnosis.

Fyfe had that elbow compression guard on for most of the 2019 season and the pre-season injury caused him to miss a game in the back end of the season, even though some pundits were saying he was wearing it for show - and he also needed further surgery at the end of the season.

I guess the positive is that he won a Brownlow that year. No doubt if he runs out with lots of strapping on one shoulder he'll continue to get it targeted by opposition players.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
My gut feel is that 16 is insanely high and that the competition average would be closer to 10.

Also easier to reach 20 games if your team plays in 25 rather than 22.

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
My gut feel is that 16 is insanely high and that the competition average would be closer to 10.

Also easier to reach 20 games if your team plays in 25 rather than 22.
They actually had 15 play in 23 games or more, which is similar to ours playing in 20 or more. It is insanely high, however there is commonly a strong correlation between top 4 teams and fit and available lists. We are making our life much harder by being in the worst quartile of fit and available lists regularly. As I said recently I think the injury levels we run with season in, season out, have a much bigger impact than just having a weakened team on the park many weeks - potential for loss of physical abilities (an inch of reach, a yard of pace etc), limited opportunity to build synergy, little ability for the coach to tweak things as we are constantly tweaking to just get a vaguely balanced team on the park etc etc.

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
A bit more info the Doggies had 12 players play 23 - 26, Geelong had 9 play 23 - 25 and another 8 play 20 - 22, Port Adelaide had 10 play 23 - 24 games and another 5 play 20 - 22 games, Brisbane 12 with 23 - 24 games and another 2 with 20 - 22 games, Sydney 14 with 20 - 23 games.

We had 11 with 18 to 22, and 19 play 15 to 22.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
They actually had 15 play in 23 games or more, which is similar to ours playing in 20 or more. It is insanely high, however there is commonly a strong correlation between top 4 teams and fit and available lists. We are making our life much harder by being in the worst quartile of fit and available lists regularly. As I said recently I think the injury levels we run with season in, season out, have a much bigger impact than just having a weakened team on the park many weeks - potential for loss of physical abilities (an inch of reach, a yard of pace etc), limited opportunity to build synergy, little ability for the coach to tweak things as we are constantly tweaking to just get a vaguely balanced team on the park etc etc.

Wonder how many of those guys were rested one or two games too. Makes it slightly easier to keep players fit if you have the luxury of being able to rest them.

I think most supporters of non-bottom four teams think their team has the best depth they’ve ever had every season. In most cases though depth players are great at replacing B Graders and role players within your best 22 but when you lose an A Grader (B Grade KPPs can be equally as important for structure etc) it’s harder to cover. Each A Grader you lose it becomes harder and harder to replace them until eventually your team’s chances of winning is ****ed against any half decent opposition. It seemed to happen to us each of the last three years Lyon was our coach tbh - It’s been slightly better under Longmuir let’s be honest.

Back