Strategy Going through the scraps - delisted free agents

Remove this Banner Ad

I know he's not the sexiest option, but how can you say Freeman is a better option than a guy with multiple top 5 BnF finishes?

I like the idea of Freeman too, but can tell you the club think he's too slow for AFL footy now.

I guess you know what you get with Dumont, and don’t get me wrong, i am not against listing him but if we are going to get a depth player, i just think Freeman would suit.

If Boak or Wines go down, Freeman could slot in easily. He is an absolute ball magnet and i am not sure he could be described as ‘slow’. When i have seen him play, he has appeared to be pretty agile. His disposal is pretty good.

I know dumont has been top 5 a few times, but i just think Freeman brings more to the table if one of our grunt midfielders goes down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Dumont is worth considering as a DFA after the draft. If we don't land a gun midfielder, he's great ready to go depth. We are a Boak or Wines (or Drew) injury from a gaping hole.

Our fitness team if we land Skinner and Freeman...

1209.gif

Tom Campbell is now a Saint, signing a one-year deal with the club today.

The former Kangaroo and Bulldog joins St Kilda as a delisted free agent, becoming the first signing to the club since season’s end.

Tiny cross section, but not too bad.

If Freeman wasnt best mates with Cal Twomey and didnt work at Connor Sports we would hardly know he exists.
If he wasnt taken in the mid season draft why would he be taken now when they are more players to chose from.

I think Dumont is worth considering as a DFA after the draft. If we don't land a gun midfielder, he's great ready to go depth. We are a Boak or Wines (or Drew) injury from a gaping hole.
When Dunstan and Dumont seemed likely to be available my first thought was Dumont is the better footballer. The fact Dunstan polled well in the Brownlow probably confirms I'm a bad judge. Dumont has been a consistent solid AFL performer and is coming into his best years, it seems a no brainer to list him. I'd rather we gave Dumont a contract than give Motlop another year if money is tight.

If Freeman wasnt best mates with Cal Twomey and didnt work at Connor Sports we would hardly know he exists.
If he wasnt taken in the mid season draft why would he be taken now when they are more players to chose from.

Why would Sam Skinner be taken now rather than the mid year draft?

Because, he has been plagued by injuries his entire career and clubs want to see him get some KMs in the legs before selection?

WRT Freeman, There were only 6 rounds before the mid-season draft… i guess clubs may have wanted to see a whole season (albeit cancelled by covid) before taking a punt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would Sam Skinner be taken now rather than the mid year draft?

Because, he has been plagued by injuries his entire career and clubs want to see him get some KMs in the legs before selection?

WRT Freeman, There were only 6 rounds before the mid-season draft… i guess clubs may have wanted to see a whole season (albeit cancelled by covid) before taking a punt.

We picked Skinner up as a defender. He moved from a forward to defence after the mid season draft, after which he did well in his natural position. Does well, we have need, get him.

And DFA2 closes at 5.00pm VFL time tonight. Pick swaps close at the same time too, but resume again at the beginning of the second day of the draft.

Not expecting the flurry of activity that happens in the dying moments of trading somehow.

We would keep our powder dry for pick swaps on the night.

Not expecting the flurry of activity that happens in the dying moments of trading somehow.

We would keep our powder dry for pick swaps on the night.

Going by this, it seems any draft night pick swapping has to be sorted out in a 45 minute period before round 2 gets under way, which would take a lot of the stress out of it:

Wednesday 24 November at 7.10pm – Round 1 - NAB AFL Draft Selection Meeting including Father/Son, Academy, NGA Players Bidding

Thursday 25 November at 5.45pm to 6:30pm – Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period – Selections Only

Thursday 25 November at 7.00pm – Round 2 to completion - NAB AFL Draft Selection Meeting

Thursday 25 November at 10.00pm – Rookie Upgrade Period opens; AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences

Thursday 25 November at 11.00pm – Rookie Upgrade Period closes; AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes

Going by this, it seems any draft night pick swapping has to be sorted out in a 45 minute period before round 2 gets under way, which would take a lot of the stress out of it:

Wednesday 24 November at 7.10pm – Round 1 - NAB AFL Draft Selection Meeting including Father/Son, Academy, NGA Players Bidding

Thursday 25 November at 5.45pm to 6:30pm – Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period – Selections Only

Thursday 25 November at 7.00pm – Round 2 to completion - NAB AFL Draft Selection Meeting

Thursday 25 November at 10.00pm – Rookie Upgrade Period opens; AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences

Thursday 25 November at 11.00pm – Rookie Upgrade Period closes; AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes

That's interesting, no more flexibility of pick-swapping on the run after round 1.

I recall Port nearly did a second round pick swap a couple of years back as a player they liked fell well past what they thought was the cutoff point for his selection. They were about to engineer a swap but he was taken with the preceding pick.

That's interesting, no more flexibility of pick-swapping on the run after round 1.

I recall Port nearly did a second round pick swap a couple of years back as a player they liked fell well past what they thought was the cutoff point for his selection. They were about to engineer a swap but he was taken with the preceding pick.
This is what Carlton did with Adelaide as they were desperate to get Stocker

Player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back