The McGovern conundrum

What comes to mind when someone says ‘McGovern’

• Up against JSoS for 3rd tall fwd. I prefer the hardworking JSoS.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • Up against JSoS for 3rd tall fwd. I prefer McGovern as he has the 3xtra gear when fit.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Can play with JSoS, CC and Harry. I don’t believe that is too tall, and to hell with def tackling.

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • I see McGovern as a third tall defender. Ahead of Plowman, Kemp and Marchbank.

Votes: 19 12.2%
  • I don’t see McGovern as having the hardness, determination and concentration of a defender.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I rate Mcgoverns speed and kicking and just want him in the 22.

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • I see McGovern’s lack of commitment and feel he should prove himself fwd or back in the VFL.

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • How dare you insinuate anything negative about our player (provided for the believers/derailers)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Justnetime

Team Captain
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
McGovern divides most of us on here. Multiple options may appeal but this gives us all a view as to what is our initial reaction to the name McGovern Across the posters on this board.

Feel free to get very defensive on this guy. I like his 5 minutes bursts but I feel he lacks commitment and hard work. JSoS every single second and minute of the week.

Dont want to carry him as a 4th tall as prefer the tackling grunt of the smallls. My fwd line has Harry, CC and JSoS. I even prefer Martins marking over Mcgoverns.

That is all I got.

Judds Junk

Senior List
Oct 14, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
good thread, and I agree McGovern is quite a conundrum.

I think based on exposed and consistent form, I'm taking JSOS ahead of him.
BUT.
I do think ultimately it may be proven that McGovern has greater upside, greater X Factor and some skills and tools that JSOS will probably never have.
That said... because of injuries and applications there is no guarantee that we'll ever actually see that from McGovern... so as it stands, I'm taking JSOS as a 3rd tall, and giving McGovern the rev up of his life to try and have another shot and becoming the player he's always threatened to become.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
It's an interesting discussion. Personally I think that a Harry, Charlie, JSOS and Gov forward line is way too tall - he'll be competing with JSOS for that 3rd tall forward spot imo.

Soapy on the main board did say that Gov will be spending a lot more time down back next year, so definitely something to keep an eye on.

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
Jsos is clear, it’s not even a debate.
McGov needs to get fit and impact a game more often otherwise he’s not going to play. I haven’t included him in my best 22 for next year. I think he needs to go back as a intercept defender if he wants a spot.

He doesn’t impact enough to play forward. He’s set the bar so low that we think he’s played well if he has 8 disposals and a goal in a game.

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Good thread.

I think he has elite skills and a very good read of the game. Skill wise I think he is ahead of Jsos although Jsos improved his overhead marking this season which was great to see. Also think Jsos will continue improving.

The real problem with gov is he either has an injury prone body or he lacks work ethic. If he can stay on the park and stay involved in the game it will be touch and go between him and Jsos for the forward role.

I think it is worthwhile trialling him down back as well. Would provide enormous flexibility to team balance if it worked.

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
Good thread.

I think he has elite skills and a very good read of the game. Skill wise I think he is ahead of Jsos although Jsos improved his overhead marking this season which was great to see. Also think Jsos will continue improving.

The real problem with gov is he either has an injury prone body or he lacks work ethic. If he can stay on the park and stay involved in the game it will be touch and go between him and Jsos for the forward role.

I think it is worthwhile trialling him down back as well. Would provide enormous flexibility to team balance if it worked.
We lack an interceptor with Marchbank going down. McGov could be the perfect solution

Cripptonite

All Australian
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
It will be a minor miracle if we ever have McGovern McKay Curnow & JSOS all fit at the same time.

If somehow that occurs then I’d suggest McGovern should be trialed as a swingman going back when required for team balance. Similar to how we used Casboult in 2019 or Henderson in 2014. However I still see McGovern best as a forward when fit.

Blueballs38

Premiership Player
Feb 27, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
McG has been a very frustrating recruit to watch up until now. To be fair he has not been fit, injury wise, his whole time at the club but one cannot rule out his own hand in some of those injuries. I get the feeling he isn’t one of those guys that’s leaves everything on the training track. More like does just enough to coast by. Could be wrong but as a high priced recruit we have gotten less than him than the first 3 years of Daisy and tha5 is saying something!

Needs to pull up his socks and justify his pay check, hopefully Vossy sorts him out and he stops being the albatross around the club’s neck.

Im hoping but have to say not very positive with what he can do with the remainder of his contract.

Wouldnt be surprised if he is delisted after it’s over or we trade him for a pack of twisted and pay half his salary just to get him off the books next trade period.

If you could mix him with JSOS wow that would be awesome.

But since you cannot would take JSOS every day of the week over him at this point.

SOS Rules

Senior List
Aug 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I think that that most of what has been expressed so far covers off on the possibilities of what McG will offer next year. I think we have to assume more of the same from him next year which means our expectation levels will be set very low. Anything better will be a bonus.

What we need from him though is to be as fit as he can be and for Andrew Russell to discover what it will take to keep him on the park for most of the season. We can then judge him based on a full season. If fit, I don't think he belongs in the forward line. He has the attributes to play as a third tall defender and be very good at it and that's where we should try to establish him in the team. He also has the ability to swing forward and impact if required. He could be very important to us if he could be available for most of the year. So much talent and ability but he has a career that is so unfulfilled thus far. Is it mindset or is his body just not up to it or is it a combination of both? I hope we can find out next year and be pleasantly surprised about his impact on the team.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Firstly and foremost he has to get fit and then stay on the park. Last few games this year he played well. Voss will sort him out but I hope he stays fit and ready to give himself a chance. Yeah underwhelming so far.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He's been as frustrated as anyone on here. Imagine the pressure having a large contract and then being injured as much as he has.

He's aware that he wasn't in the best shape when he arrived, but after doing "training cage" with Russell, he really hasn't put a foot wrong with his training and preparation.

People need to remember that he was OFFERED that contract. He just accepted it. Don't really see anyone potting SOS for that albatross of a contract.

McGovern has a higher ceiling than JSOS. Just hasn't been able to put it together for long enough.

Justnetime

Team Captain
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
To hell with defensive tackling?

That's one of McGoverns strengths 🤣

True, but pressure acts and tackles inside 50 generally favour JSoS in the head to head battle. Then IMO It’s whether you want to go with a four tall forward line or a 3 tall forward Line. Comes down to roles and structure. McGovern might not be best pleased to be told to chase and harass for the teams sake, but Owies and Honey types will accept the role. And the role is key To team success.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I think he has something to prove before he can be anything more than a flash in the pan at AFL level, and he really, truly needs to prove it at VFL level. Demonstrate the required levels of fitness and commitment to the ball and the ball carrier - as well as the club, the team he's playing for - and then see where we are after 2 weeks to a month.

Having said that, he offers arguably more as a third tall forward than Jack Silvagni does if he's providing it all game. Jack's more a true utility, where McGovern is a medium who plays tall, with power attributes.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
Ideal team has JSOS working on his tank so he can play tagger week in week out (Ed Curnow's spot is up for grabs in the next year or two). JSOS has shown it is a role he is capable of (doing a number on Fyfe that one time) - but he'd be an interesting option against those taller mids who also float forward (Bont, Fyfe, Petracca, Dusty).

This opens a spot for McGovern, but he's got to earn it. Theres every chance TDK and Pitto are in the starting lineup which means there isnt a spot for McGovern. A spell in the VFL like Jones where McGovern plays ruck/forward or ruck/defender might be exactly what he needs to prove his fitness and value to the team and be a versatile option.

thebluenewdeal

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
This is no conundrum. He’s borderline 22 and he should be on a tight leash going into next season. As droppable as anyone. Fighting for a spot against TDK or jsos. Even Charlie & Martin aren’t locks. We need to reward consistency and not the lightning in a bottle types.

BlueTongue

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2009
The Void
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
TEAM 17 (Flags)
The most agonizing thing about him is he is the best / most accurate kick in the side, and a reliable set shot.
But he's a massive liability because he goes missing for large chunks of games (when he's actually not injured).
Wish he'd just pull his head in, or quit AFL, because I'd hate for us to let him go only for him to get his body right and start dominating a FWD line at another club like * ...

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Ideal team has JSOS working on his tank so he can play tagger week in week out (Ed Curnow's spot is up for grabs in the next year or two). JSOS has shown it is a role he is capable of (doing a number on Fyfe that one time) - but he'd be an interesting option against those taller mids who also float forward (Bont, Fyfe, Petracca, Dusty).

This opens a spot for McGovern, but he's got to earn it. Theres every chance TDK and Pitto are in the starting lineup which means there isnt a spot for McGovern. A spell in the VFL like Jones where McGovern plays ruck/forward or ruck/defender might be exactly what he needs to prove his fitness and value to the team and be a versatile option.
See, I like the idea of redefining what tagging means in this context. Don't go for the most damaging player, they'll get on top, they'll back themselves to win head to head and if not they'll float forward because it's a rare midfield tagger that can get the job done down back.

Instead, send Jack to the Cunningtons, the Cripps, the in and under players. Tell him and drill him to kill an opponent's first supply, and force the opposition into using other players to get first touch. Tell him to get their ball first or slam them into the ground so often and so hard they're hearing his voice in their ear next week. Tell him that if they get more than 15 free touches without him right ******* there, he's failed.

Force the opponent to their plan B as our plan A, and place one of our most desperate and our most creative where he can do the most damage.

Back