AFL Club
Collingwood
For Sidey….
81692A03-2673-43F4-87DF-54DA42E190D1.jpeg

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Last week a lot of us watched the 50th anniversary show for Hey, Hey it’s Saturday.
While I enjoyed it, as I did the show all those years ago, it has been bought to our attention that one integral performer in the glory years of the show was not mentioned or thanked during the celebrations.
I heard this man on ABC radio today and thought his story deserves wider appreciation.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Hi there, not sure where to post on this board, so if this is the wrong place, I apologise.

I have a random question - the first set of footy cards I collected were the 1972 Scanlens, where former Pies - and later Bomber - ruckman (and part-time Jezza step-ladder) Graeme Jenkin featured. Based on the 1972 card, I always assumed he had some sort of indigenous ancestry, but many years later became aware that Scanlens had re-cropped and re-filtered many of the photos from earlier sets to re-use in 1972. Below is the 1972 card on the left, and the earlier 1970 Scanlens card in the middle - same photo, different angle, different cropping, filtered/lighting adjustment. Plus a 1975 card with Jenkin now moved to Essendon for further comparison. I gather from Pies histories online he is not listed as an indigenous player - just keen to see and learn about how many players of that era and earlier fall outside the overwhelming similar backgrounds of the majority of players.

For context, as a first generation descendant of southern European immigrants, and later with extended family who are indigenous, I was always scanning card sets in those days to identify players like me with non-Anglo names or backgrounds. Just a passion of mine reading about players from the era I first started following footy, and always wondered about Graeme's background, amongst others, so hope it's ok to ask here?

1636092811515.jpeg
1636093006099.jpeg
1636093098872.jpeg

Another example of how Scanlens re-purposed old shots is Len Thompson, 1969 card on the left, modified version of the same shot from 1972 on the right where even his hair seems to have changed colour (several of the Geelong players also in re-purposed shots in the 1972 set seemed to be posing with a green sky as a Kardinia Park backdrop!):

1636095130157.jpeg
1636095151719.jpeg

Trickster

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
Hi there, not sure where to post on this board, so if this is the wrong place, I apologise.

I have a random question - the first set of footy cards I collected were the 1972 Scanlens, where former Pies - and later Bomber - ruckman (and part-time Jezza step-ladder) Graeme Jenkin featured. Based on the 1972 card, I always assumed he had some sort of indigenous ancestry, but many years later became aware that Scanlens had re-cropped and re-filtered many of the photos from earlier sets to re-use in 1972. Below is the 1972 card on the left, and the earlier 1970 Scanlens card in the middle - same photo, different angle, different cropping, filtered/lighting adjustment. Plus a 1975 card with Jenkin now moved to Essendon for further comparison. I gather from Pies histories online he is not listed as an indigenous player - just keen to see and learn about how many players of that era and earlier fall outside the overwhelming similar backgrounds of the majority of players.

For context, as a first generation descendant of southern European immigrants, and later with extended family who are indigenous, I was always scanning card sets in those days to identify players like me with non-Anglo names or backgrounds. Just a passion of mine reading about players from the era I first started following footy, and always wondered about Graeme's background, amongst others, so hope it's ok to ask here?

View attachment 1274615 View attachment 1274617 View attachment 1274620

Another example of how Scanlens re-purposed old shots is Len Thompson, 1969 card on the left, modified version of the same shot from 1972 on the right where even his hair seems to have changed colour (several of the Geelong players also in re-purposed shots in the 1972 set seemed to be posing with a green sky as a Kardinia Park backdrop!):

View attachment 1274642 View attachment 1274644
Thanks for sharing, this is as good a thread as any to post. Love the olden day footy cards, my collection started in the early-mid 80s but I have a fair few pies cards from the late 70s also. Great observations though, and sounds like cost-cutting was a thing back then too.

Good question, I'm sure there would be some more with different backgrounds, but the main one I think we all know is Rene Kink, who was of Latvian background I believe. Aside from Daicos, there was also Bill Valli in 1980 who played 1 season with us in 1979 or 80 and we had Wally Lovett who was indigenous and played a season in the early 80s.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.

View attachment 1274615 View attachment 1274617 View attachment 1274620

View attachment 1274642 View attachment 1274644
Graeme Jenkin is not in the AFL's records as being an indigenous player. Not until Wally Lovett in 1982 did Collingwood have an indigenous senior player. By the end of the 1970 season there had been 24 aboriginal players make their VFL debut (with 11 of the 12 clubs represented), and 39 debuts by the end of 1985 (all clubs represented).

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
^ Pannam is a very famous name at Collingwood, with several star players over the years bearing that name, plus Lou Richards was a grandson of one of them, but Pannam was changed from Pannamopolous at some stage.

As well as a few names that most likely are of German origin (e.g. Reitman, Kanngieser, Weideman, Huppatz), up to 1970 the Collingwood debutants with names that "stand out" somewhat would be:
Callesen (Danish father)
Morelli
Le Brun (of Cape Verde origin)
Le Sueur
Negri x2
Gabelich

Minogue perhaps?

So there really weren't that many!

Last edited:
Just curious about people’s thoughts on opposition supporters in the Legends Bar inon game day wearing opposition jumpers, scarves etc.? I think there should be a dress code that prevents this if they want to drink in the Legends Bar.

Just curious about people’s thoughts on opposition supporters in the Legends Bar inon game day wearing opposition jumpers, scarves etc.? I think there should be a dress code that prevents this if they want to drink in the Legends Bar.
I don’t mind it, as long as they are respectful.

I don’t mind it, as long as they are respectful.
I guess I am a bit old school and it’s not something I would do if positions were reversed. I saw an incident with a disrespectful oppo supporter that took his jacket off which was covering his jumper when the opposition hit the front and it upset a few supporters. People pay a lot to be Legends Members and I think having one bar where they’re not allowed to display opposition jumpers isn’t too much to ask.

I guess I am a bit old school and it’s not something I would do if positions were reversed. I saw an incident with a disrespectful oppo supporter that took his jacket off which was covering his jumper when the opposition hit the front and it upset a few supporters. People pay a lot to be Legends Members and I think having one bar where they’re not allowed to display opposition jumpers isn’t too much to ask.
Fair enough. I’m just looking forward to getting back there soon.

We used to encounter that in the Social Club at Vic Park back in the day.
Not condoning it, just a fact of life.

We used to encounter that in the Social Club at Vic Park back in the day.
Not condoning it, just a fact of life.
I use to have a few friends who were Carlton Social Club members (yes…I know).
When playing at Princess Park…they would get me in after the game (which we normally lost in the 80’s)…I would wear neutral colours…not so much to avoid offending Carlton Members…more to avoid the ribbing by 100’s of Carlton Members or if I bumped into John Elliiot.

I watched a Australian movie on Prime tv called 'Penguin Bloom'
It's based on a true story of a woman who becomes a paraplegic. What was of particular interest was the magpie, and the role it played in the story.
You've enjoy it TheGreatGrundy if for no other reason than to see this amazing bird

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's based on a true story of a woman who becomes a paraplegic. What was of particular interest was the magpie, and the role it played in the story.
You've enjoy it TheGreatGrundy if for no other reason than to see this amazing bird
In have a free Prime! I will watch it. My two arrived with a young magpie between them the other day, but before I could react, the pair had furiously pecked the young one and it flew away, never to return.

In have a free Prime! I will watch it. My two arrived with a young magpie between them the other day, but before I could react, the pair had furiously pecked the young one and it flew away, never to return.
😊😪

I think a great thing about Aussie Rules is opposition supporters mingle. Not like in UK football where finding yourself in the wrong part of the crowd will result in a whooping.

I think a great thing about Aussie Rules is opposition supporters mingle. Not like in UK football where finding yourself in the wrong part of the crowd will result in a whooping.
I mingle when I sit in the AFL members or public area without a problem. I don’t want in your face opposition supporters in the Collingwood Legends bar which I pay a premium to use.

Mukesh

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
Kalapathar, Havelock Island
AFL Club
Collingwood

Tis a lovely movie...

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tis a lovely movie...
I watched it last night and have to admit that I struggled with it. For me, the script was the movie's weakest element as is all too often the case with Australian movies. The movie was OK while the magpie was involved in most scenes, but fell really flat for me during the lengthy period where the bird takes off after being attacked. It's a simple little movie with some reasonable acting performances but I found it ultimately unsatisfying. I might add that I grew up with a mother on a wheelchair so I am far from insensitive to the woman's plight. Yet even with this connection and that of the magpie, there always seemed to be something missing from the viewing experience.

There were some other inconsistencies with regard to the feeding of the magpie which irked me. Not once did we actually see the magpie chick being fed, despite seeing the kid make up a concoction from an online recipe and hearing the bird crying for food throughout much of the first half of the movie. Yet all the family seems to have learned about feeding baby magpies is to offer it a live worm with fingers. Having reared baby birds on numerous occasions, I know how entertaining feeding a magpie chick could have been for the viewer, as well as how the process bonds the feeder with the bird. I was really disappointed that we were just left wondering at how the baby was fed and had to be satisfied with the son's comment that the bird was having difficulty feeding.

I watched it last night and have to admit that I struggled with it. For me, the script was the movie's weakest element as is all too often the case with Australian movies. The movie was OK while the magpie was involved in most scenes, but fell really flat for me during the lengthy period where the bird takes off after being attacked. It's a simple little movie with some reasonable acting performances but I found it ultimately unsatisfying. I might add that I grew up with a mother on a wheelchair so I am far from insensitive to the woman's plight. Yet even with this connection and that of the magpie, there always seemed to be something missing from the viewing experience.

There were some other inconsistencies with regard to the feeding of the magpie which irked me. Not once did we actually see the magpie chick being fed, despite seeing the kid make up a concoction from an online recipe and hearing the bird crying for food throughout much of the first half of the movie. Yet all the family seems to have learned about feeding baby magpies is to offer it a live worm with fingers. Having reared baby birds on numerous occasions, I know how entertaining feeding a magpie chick could have been for the viewer, as well as how the process bonds the feeder with the bird. I was really disappointed that we were just left wondering at how the baby was fed and had to be satisfied with the son's comment that the bird was having difficulty feeding.
I agree with your assessment of the movie overall, however I did enjoy the magpie - but then I'm relatively ignorant of the their true behaviour
Sorry I led you astray🤪

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back