News Welcome Tyson Stengle

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I hope he can stay on the straight and narrow but the talent is there and he fills a clear list need for us. I expect him to play a fair bit of senior footy next year if theres no off field issues. For a free hit hes worth a go.

Pretty much my thinking. Good age and experience. Really is PnP. More of a goal kicker than most of our other smalls. One can only hope that by his current age he can see that he is probably on his last chance. From here it go big time up or down...its up to him.

Really glad we've given Tyson a chance. He seems a good kid. Hoping to see him kick a few and pressure the backs to be wary.
I reckon he'll improve things for Miers too. Two smalls capable of scoring. Excited for him
Good luck mate
I think you're hitting the nail on the head with his value.

The playbook on dealing with us is to flood space. If the worst that the oppo smalls do is wrap you up for a ball up then defenders only need to really bring to ground. If you're wary about the smalls you have to set up differently. Hawkins and Cameron will be loving this.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
What's Stengle's running capacity like?

Hoping it's average...for if it's in the Miers ballpark, there's no chance in hell we'll see him as a permanent small forward...Chris Scott has never nurtured one.
LOL I was going to post something like that :) Hoping he didn't have much of a tank so we wouldn't be seeing him everywhere except around goal.

Oct 8, 2004
Woodside
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Eagles(SANFL)
He's definitely AFL standard. I reckon he had himself fitter/slimmer playing with the Eagles this year than he was with the Crows. Question marks over his set shot kicking, can miss some simple ones, but that is possibly a mental thing as much as anything. I think he's probably naturally a reserved/shy type and with some confidence could turn it around. He's clean, has a beautiful step and has that ability to create space for himself that not many players have. He's also just as good at setting up a team mate with a short pass. Glad to see him get a chance with Geelong. The last mature age small forward you guys took from the Eagles turned out alright. I reckon Stokes was about the same age when he went to Geelong - albeit with no previous AFL experience.

Can we play Stengle, Miers and Close?
It will be interesting IMO

Miers has the tank to run further up the ground and back BUT IMO his effectiveness is diluted at times bc of the limitations in his kicking penetration and his choice for certain low % kicks into F50.

So will they keep Stengle and Close closer to home and push Miers further up the ground.

Miers effectiveness to me at least impact wise seems to be better closer to goals over this 70 odd games thus far.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out - but I think there is room for all of them.

I would imagine all 3 will benefit from Eddie Betts game perspective as well

GO Catters

petrolium

Team Captain
Nov 2, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Definitely have room for Stengle, Close and Miers in our forward line. Perfect compliment to our talls Hawkins and Cameron, then leaving the last forward spot to a rotating player (eg. Esava, Danger). We are the masters of the mature aged recruit, every other AFL club knows this; it represents top value with minimal risk.

We are the masters of the mature aged recruit, every other AFL club knows this; it represents top value with minimal risk.
Yeah - and I think other clubs will star following our lead more - on this subject this was an interesting article from a couple of days ago

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah - and I think other clubs will star following our lead more - on this subject this was an interesting article from a couple of days ago

Whoever wrote that was taking some very effective substances.

Blicavs a star? We have continued success? Didn't quite see it when Melbourne were picking their teeth with us, or in losing 4 of our last 6 games (no doubt we were keeping our cards close for when it really mattered).

I like how he puts Taylor in with the mature age bracket, but doesn't mention he was only 21 when we picked him. To say that's very different to picking a 30 year old as a mature ager is putting it very very mildly.

Whoever wrote that was taking some very effective substances.

Blicavs a star? We have continued success? Didn't quite see it when Melbourne were picking their teeth with us, or in losing 4 of our last 6 games (no doubt we were keeping our cards close for when it really mattered).

I like how he puts Taylor in with the mature age bracket, but doesn't mention he was only 21 when we picked him. To say that's very different to picking a 30 year old as a mature ager is putting it very very mildly.
What 30 year olds have we drafted?

Can we play Stengle, Miers and Close?
Absolutely. All 3 are entirely different players.

Close is more your defensive small, Miers gets up the ground a bit more and Stengle is your goalkicking small.

Badtemperedbadger

Team Captain
May 24, 2008
Thornbury
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Any Aussie Team
What 30 year olds have we drafted?

My exact thoughts,
not sure who is on the effective substance?

on Blicavs while I agree he is not a star(It is not actually stated he is a star in the article) and to quite a few on here who regularly pot him, he must have done ok to win a couple of BF’s
I hear the dissent already, but you would have to be pretty stubborn to argue he hasn’t been an effective member of the team over the journey.

Yeah so indeed an interesting article viewed through most eyes not biased towards one’s own agenda

My exact thoughts,
not sure who is on the effective substance?

on Blicavs while I agree he is not a star(It is not actually stated he is a star in the article) and to quite a few on here who regularly pot him, he must have done ok to win a couple of BF’s
I hear the dissent already, but you would have to be pretty stubborn to argue he hasn’t been an effective member of the team over the journey.

Yeah so indeed an interesting article viewed through most eyes not biased towards one’s own agenda
The article was ordinary.

bellpark

All Australian
Aug 18, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Think Tyson and Brad Close are in the best 22 if fit. I think Dal is depth only now, and Myers is not damaging so either makes it as a mid or finds another role or is becomes depth.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Think Tyson and Brad Close are in the best 22 if fit. I think Dal is depth only now, and Myers is not damaging so either makes it as a mid or finds another role or is becomes depth.

Miers is quite a better footballer than Stengle.
I certainly would like to see Dahlhaus out of the team for good but we all know Scott loves the bloke and will play him no matter what.
Close may have some decent competition given we have no other talent in the VFL to play forward pocket.

Back