Football Related Random Thread - PART 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Introducing, The Random Thread:

In an effort to keep threads from being derailed (unintentionally or otherwise), occasionally mods will move posts from other threads to this 'catch-all' thread when they can't find a more appropriate home for them.

Feel free to continue the discussion but, because of its patchwork nature, be warned...things may get a little random. ;)

Continued from Part 1:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bulldogs AFLW team forced into isolation after one of them tests positive to covid.

This won’t be over for a long time yet, if teams are going to go in to isolation/quarantine every time a player tests positive.

Opening up and living with covid is only going to exacerbate things.

Bulldogs AFLW team forced into isolation after one of them tests positive to covid.

This won’t be over for a long time yet, if teams are going to go in to isolation/quarantine every time a player tests positive.

Opening up and living with covid is only going to exacerbate things.

Not sure why teams would go into isolation. Next year all players & staff will be vaccinated. Play on. Should be the same as any illness. If you're sick, you just don't go to work.

Not sure why teams would go into isolation. Next year all players & staff will be vaccinated. Play on. Should be the same as any illness. If you're sick, you just don't go to work.

Yeah just isolate the confirmed case and test the rest

People don't go into isolation for 14 days when they get the standard flu. They just stay home when they are ill. When they feel well enough to they go to work.
They would only stay in isolation until they test negative.
Wouldn’t be a mandatory 14 days.

Last edited:
Why are we even isolating the confirmed case if everybody is vaccinated?
Because they can still pass the virus around the whole playing group.

I don’t know what the afl is thinking or their protocols.

My initial comment was more about we’ll still see next season impacted by covid. Whether that’s individual players missing games, or whole teams in quarantine.

They would only stay in isolation until they test negative.
Wouldn’t be a mandolatory 14 days.
Because they can still pass the virus around the whole playing group.

I don’t know what the afl is thinking or their protocols.

My initial comment was more about we’ll still see next season impacted by covid. Whether that’s individual players missing games, or whole teams in quarantine.

Yep, fair enough. Just trying to find the logic in all this.

I do have a friend who was working for a company that developed a testing machine that not only gave you a positive or negative test result, but gave an indication of how much of a viral load you received & how sick you're likely to get from it. Certainly would be useful for sporting codes in situations like that.

Yep, fair enough. Just trying to find the logic in all this.

I do have a friend who was working for a company that developed a testing machine that not only gave you a positive or negative test result, but gave an indication of how much of a viral load you received & how sick you're likely to get from it. Certainly would be useful for sporting codes in situations like that.
What no one is prepared for now that we're opening up is that it just makes it more difficult for sports such as the AFL to monitor and meet normal community standards with regard to the management of covid.

Can of worms when one of your players or support staff gets it ,vaccinations aren't going to stop that or necessarily the spread.

The protocols were simple when we were in crisis mode. A lot more complicated from hereon in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Ballenden is headed to the SANFL.

Looks like we’re recruiting some of the best 20/21 year olds from the QAFL as our VFL top ups.

Below link to AFL article on "Hot Streaks"

The first is Des Headland while at the Lions
19 goals 12 behinds in these six games along with 13 Brownlow votes

Des' domination in 2002
RoundOpponentKMHDGBBrownlow votes
13Carlton185220603
14Melbourne159924531
15Richmond167420231
16Sydney224426223
17Hawthorn1811220142
18Essendon218728303

As much as people tend to rate Des as being an ok player in a great team, he did play some amazing quality football in the second half of that year.

Below link to AFL article on "Hot Streaks"

The first is Des Headland while at the Lions
19 goals 12 behinds in these six games along with 13 Brownlow votes

Des' domination in 2002
RoundOpponentKMHDGBBrownlow votes
13Carlton185220603
14Melbourne159924531
15Richmond167420231
16Sydney224426223
17Hawthorn1811220142
18Essendon218728303
24 touches and 5 goals 3 does seem a little rough to only get 1 vote

Bigger wasted talent; Headland, Brennan or Cupido?

As much as people tend to rate Des as being an ok player in a great team, he did play some amazing quality football in the second half of that year.
The saving grace for us at the time was that we could cover his loss. It is a sign of that strength of that side that a #1 draft pick in sparkling form could leave and it was nothing more than a speed bump.

It does make me wonder about our post-premiership prospects if we had a fully fit and in form Des playing alongside Black and Power in the midfield, kicking the footy to Brown and Bradshaw. In 2009, it felt like we were always one mid short (so we went and recruited a key forward.......)

Then again, I also think about what keeping Craig Bolton might have done for the side longer term, or had Jamie Charman's body not failed him. Plenty of list management sliding doors moments in the mid 00s.

24 touches and 5 goals 3 does seem a little rough to only get 1 vote
Brownlow Votes: 3: D Ward, 2: D Neitz, 1: D Headland

Ward....: 20 disposals 5 marks 4 goals 1 behind
Neitz ...: 15 Disposals 9 marks 7 goals 3 behinds
Hedland: 24 disposals 9 marks 5 goals 3 behinds

Score Demons 131 d Lions 110
Lions led by 31 points at half time so a 62 point turnaround in the 2nd half
Lions only lost one more game that premiership year. That was in the final H&A game by 6 points to Port

Brownlow Votes: 3: D Ward, 2: D Neitz, 1: D Headland

Ward....: 20 disposals 5 marks 4 goals 1 behind
Neitz ...: 15 Disposals 9 marks 7 goals 3 behinds
Hedland: 24 disposals 9 marks 5 goals 3 behinds

Score Demons 131 d Lions 110
Lions led by 31 points at half time so a 62 point turnaround in the 2nd half
Lions only lost one more game that premiership year. That was in the final H&A game by 6 points to Port
Man, I was ropeable at the end of that Melbourne game.

Boys putting in.

Adams always looks good so no headline there but man, every new photo of Cam I find something new to admire. Looking absolutely pristine. Can't put expectations on someone coming back from major injuries but geez, he really makes it hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back